Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 11:41 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
OP, are you taking any meds? I was on a couple that made me gain lots of weight.

Seriously, I was on 1200 cal a day (weighed, measured) and went to the gym, and I could NOT drop a pound.

As soon as I stopped those meds, the weight came right off.

Otherwise, have you had your testosterone checked (guy?) or thyroid? When DH's T is low, he puts on weight, and same for my thyroid, when my numbers are off I put on weight (again) until my meds can be adjusted.

All kinds of reasons why you could be eating the right amount of calories and not losing weight.
Thanks for the suggestion but I take no meds. I was taking omeprasol for silent acid reflux but stopped almost a year ago because I didn’t think I needed it. Unfortunately, I cannot blame meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 09:04 AM

3,370 posts, read 1,538,475 times
I will tell you what is working for me. there is no faster way to lose weight than eating only meat. you do not want calories from drinks. i have lost 20 pounds in two months. the only thing is you have to be able to eat like this for the rest of your life and only cheat once in awhile. i thought id miss the carbs and the other foods but i dont anymore. if you want it bad you can do what i did. i have a post on it on this forum.

exercise is not a good way to lose weight. it can help if your diet is spot on but 99 percent of weight loss is diet.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:31 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Muscle weighs more than fat. You could be losing fat and gaining muscle. Also, if you are not eating enough, the body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism drops as the body tries to preserve its mass. See a nutritionist.

Again, don't focus on weekly changes.

Muscle is DENSER than fat. Look at a 300-pound football player next to a 300-pound non-athletic person that stuffs their face and doesn't exercise. The non-athlete is going to be a lot bigger than the football player.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:44 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You and I wouldn't, but according to Body Mass Index (BMI) charts, the government and healthcare professionals would. In fact, anything over 167 would be considered overweight for a 5'10" man, which is ridiculous. I'm 6'4" and an athletic 235, which makes me almost obese according to the BMI chart, lol. I'm apparently supposed to weigh no more than 197. The last time I weighed less than 200, I was on chemo and looked like I had just walked out of a Nazi concentration camp.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...MI/bmi_tbl.pdf

Anyone with a brain to think with disregards BMI. It doesn't make any allowances for people who have a high muscle mass. Like certain athletes, for example.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 391 times
Hi, you may have gained some muscle through the exercise you have introduced. There is of course no one size fits all way to lose weight since people have different constitutions. But, I do sense an absence for the real reason or WHY you want to lose weight. If as you go along you feel like quitting, hark back to your WHY, and don't forget the feeling you had at woo-hoo time. Those are to be treasured and then invested as motivators. You will have a change of mindset as you continue, and that is when magic happens. Don't forget you got to your Ugh weight over a long time. So, gotta give it at least half that time to get to your goal. Meantime, ENJOY the journey.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:19 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
A few weeks ago, I bottomed out. I am 5'10 and weighed myself at 194 lbs. That was it for me. I called myself a Moderator cut: language removed and decided I do not want to live like this anymore. I hate my size 34 pants being so tight and will never go to a 35 because I know I will never return. I prefer being uncomfortable in my current clothes so that I am forced to address the issue.

I immediately began walking a minimum of 1 1/2 hours per day (non stop). Sometimes twice. So, right there, I would have to lose weight even if I continued to eat the way I did because I am introducing calorie-burning exercise that I was not doing before. But, I also stopped eating past 7 pm, did not start eating until 1pm each day after my 1 hour walk at lunch time. No processed snacks (cheese its, etc). Fruit all day until dinner. Low fat stuff like gnocci for dinner. In other words, I cut my calories in half at the very least.

After 9 days, I went from 194 to 189. Woo hoo. So, please somebody tell me why and how is it possible that after doing the very same thing for another week, I gained 2 lbs? How is that even possible? The only thing I did differently is to add one tsp of coconut oil each morning after reading that it is a medium strain fat and helps the liver burn other fat. That said, that is 14 gm of fat a day added to my intake. Even with that oil, I am eating far less than I was before I started.

This is what is so discouraging about losing weight. You can sacrifice all of the foods you normally eat and also get out and walk for hours a day and when you lose nothing after a week or so, you wonder why you are even bothering. I could have kept eating what I was eating and sit on a couch and watch tv instead of walking I would have most likely stayed at my current weight.

Is it possibly I just cannot lose weight anymore? I am 61 years old but active as hell at work and doing other things. Not mountain climbing or running marathons but I am not sitting around doing nothing. It is all very discouraging. Anyone else change eating habits and exercising only to stay the same weight or even gain weight?
I'll tell you what's worked for me, no carbs. I eat mostly a carnivore diet and I feel and look great. I think IF is helpful if you want to lose weight faster. I've already lost all my excess fat so I'm just trying to get stronger and bulge my muscles out more. Current BMI is 21.1.

Old 04-04-2024, 04:14 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
A few weeks ago, I bottomed out. I am 5'10 and weighed myself at 194 lbs. That was it for me. I called myself a Moderator cut: language removed and decided I do not want to live like this anymore. I hate my size 34 pants being so tight and will never go to a 35 because I know I will never return. I prefer being uncomfortable in my current clothes so that I am forced to address the issue.

I immediately began walking a minimum of 1 1/2 hours per day (non stop). Sometimes twice. So, right there, I would have to lose weight even if I continued to eat the way I did because I am introducing calorie-burning exercise that I was not doing before. But, I also stopped eating past 7 pm, did not start eating until 1pm each day after my 1 hour walk at lunch time. No processed snacks (cheese its, etc). Fruit all day until dinner. Low fat stuff like gnocci for dinner. In other words, I cut my calories in half at the very least.

After 9 days, I went from 194 to 189. Woo hoo. So, please somebody tell me why and how is it possible that after doing the very same thing for another week, I gained 2 lbs? How is that even possible? The only thing I did differently is to add one tsp of coconut oil each morning after reading that it is a medium strain fat and helps the liver burn other fat. That said, that is 14 gm of fat a day added to my intake. Even with that oil, I am eating far less than I was before I started.

This is what is so discouraging about losing weight. You can sacrifice all of the foods you normally eat and also get out and walk for hours a day and when you lose nothing after a week or so, you wonder why you are even bothering. I could have kept eating what I was eating and sit on a couch and watch tv instead of walking I would have most likely stayed at my current weight.

Is it possibly I just cannot lose weight anymore? I am 61 years old but active as hell at work and doing other things. Not mountain climbing or running marathons but I am not sitting around doing nothing. It is all very discouraging. Anyone else change eating habits and exercising only to stay the same weight or even gain weight?
This is a good approach (I felt this way for a while but I keep it to myself so people don't get their feelings hurt). I notice most people buy bigger clothes to be more comfortable at a lager size instead of addressing the weight, to fit their old size.

Also, if you have been hitting the gym and gaining muscle mass, that can contribute to the actual weight. That does not mean it is fat that you are seeing on the scale. Muscle is heavier than fat.

Old 04-04-2024, 01:38 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times
Adding oil adds calories of course you aren't going to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss