Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 04:20 PM

127 posts, read 142,679 times

Advertisements

Probably a simple, stupid question. As I keep track of my A1c and glucose numbers, I am conscious of my carbohydrate intake. I'm confused about old fashioned oatmeal though.

Old fashioned oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter has been my morning breakfast staple for years. Are the carbs from the old fashioned oatmeal doing my glucose numbers more harm than the good it does for my cholesterol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 04:31 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
Probably a simple, stupid question. As I keep track of my A1c and glucose numbers, I am conscious of my carbohydrate intake. I'm confused about old fashioned oatmeal though.

Old fashioned oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter has been my morning breakfast staple for years. Are the carbs from the old fashioned oatmeal doing my glucose numbers more harm than the good it does for my cholesterol?
We all react to different foods differently. You will need to check your #s after eating some. I also like that. I use powdered peanut butter as it doesn't have added sugar so less carbs for the same added flavor.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:47 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Not all oatmeal is the same. Some oatmeal has been processed so much that you might as well be eating Honey Nut Cheerios.

From what I'm told, steel cut oats are the type to eat...and I do eat steel cut oats. I mix in a hand full of walnuts, some blueberries, and a dash of cinnamon.

But like others said, check your before and after numbers, see what works for you.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:55 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i like jason whittrock’s food tests

he tests oatmeal here .

https://www.tiktok.com/@bloodsugarki...766318?lang=en

Old 07-06-2023, 03:03 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Oatmeal spikes (for most) but what you mix it with also matters. It is not a diabetic friendly food, period.

Nobody eats pure oatmeal out of the package. You prepare it with something else.

Milk contains sugar (lactose), doesn't help. Adding sweetener and fruit makes it worse for diabetics.

Have a bowl of it, test after an 1 hour and 15 minutes. That will be about the highest spike.

If you like it, great. I don't myself. It has no redeeming qualities. It's basically porridge.

Even though oatmeal is not a GMO product, many types are found to contain glyphosate (roundup). FYI.

Old 07-06-2023, 04:11 PM

I haven’t had the benefit of testing my blood sugar regularly. I’m not diabetic, or even pre-diabetic, yet. My A1c and fasting glucose on my quarterly bloodwork has been slowly rising over the years. My mother being type 2 diabetic presents a genetic disadvantage. Seeing where things are headed, I’m trying to get in front of things. Last time fasting blood glucose was right at 100 and A1c at 5.5. I’m on the cusp.

As to the comments about what’s added to the oatmeal being the real culprits, I add only chia seeds, wheat germ, pumpkin seeds, walnuts and a spoonful of peanut butter. No fruits nor anything else (other than the little bit of peanut butter) to introduce natural nor refined sugars.

Old 07-06-2023, 04:20 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Steel cut oats will have the least impact on blood sugar followed by rolled oats. I'd avoid instant oats, particularly the flavored ones in the packets. They tend to be loaded with sugar.

Old 07-06-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Steel cut oats will have the least impact on blood sugar followed by rolled oats. I'd avoid instant oats, particularly the flavored ones in the packets. They tend to be loaded with sugar.
No instant oats nor flavored oatmeal for me. Just the old fashioned. Although not as healthy as the steel cut oats, they’re a lot more palatable to me than the steel cut.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:04 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
No instant oats nor flavored oatmeal for me. Just the old fashioned. Although not as healthy as the steel cut oats, they’re a lot more palatable to me than the steel cut.
The steel cut can be delicious if you cook them long enough, usually ten minutes or so. Soaking them in hot water for a few minutes first cuts down on the cooking time. I've read that adding chia or flax seeds is a good idea (but I keep forgetting.) You can also make batches in the slow cooker overnight so that it's no work at all and you'll have oatmeal for days.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:11 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:

I think so.
I used to be an oatmeal guy. Steel cut oatmeal every morning. Banana, too.
Cholesterol was a little high, but not too much. Little less than 200. Blood pressure fine and I walked a lot.

In 2021 I had a quadruple bypass. Age 75.
So I began to listen to other sources. And eat differently....... Today, my cholesterol is 134 and triglycerides are 64. I've lost 30-odd pounds since surgery.

My breakfast is a pork chop, an egg and coffee. A full glass of water. Every single morning. I usually don't eat anything with carbohydrates until around 2PM and sometimes not even then. Today, for example, I ate a bacon cheeseburger for lunch - no bun, just the meat, bacon and cheese. Haven't bought bread in way over a year, although I will eat a little bread now and then.

We all gotta believe what we believe. I'm not going back to believing grains are good for us. Sugar, either. I think that was all a scam put on us by the food industry so that we would buy their stuff. I don't think people need carbohydrates - not much, anyway.
PS: I do like peanut butter. A little of that stuff won't hurt you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes