Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 02:18 PM

974 posts, read 730,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
Not anymore. A lot has changed since 2013
Yup, though I suppose that's been everywhere. We sold our 3/2 craftsman in the M-Streets for $315K when we left in early 2013, ha! When we want to torture ourselves, we look at Zillow to see the ever escalating sales price that it's traded for during the last 11 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 12:44 PM

15,539 posts, read 10,524,428 times
I wouldn't be moving here since I was born in Dallas. My dad was too, his family came here around 1900 from just south of Fort Worth.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:29 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,919,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Yup, though I suppose that's been everywhere. We sold our 3/2 craftsman in the M-Streets for $315K when we left in early 2013, ha! When we want to torture ourselves, we look at Zillow to see the ever escalating sales price that it's traded for during the last 11 years.
When I first moved here in 2016, I was renting in the M streets and interested in buying down there. Several people told me to hold out because that area had risen too quickly and was 'way overpriced'. Since I had just moved here I decided I would wait to make sure I would be in Dallas longer term and took the locals' advice. Definitely regret that now haha.

Still happy just down the road near the lake where we ended up. But there was one lot and a couple properties I was interested in in the M Streets at that time and it's amazing to see the valuation on those now vs the 'overpriced' list price in 2016

Last edited by Sunbather; 04-07-2024 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-08-2024, 09:53 AM

5,266 posts, read 6,416,420 times
I moved to Dallas in 2000 for work. I spend a lot of time out west. I honestly prefer Dallas, even though there are some nice places like Flagstaff and southern CA that I could theoretically live in. For day to day life, I don't find them all that different, but at the margins for like vacations and daytrips, there are places superior to DFW, but they also generally cost way more. And the places comparable to DFW in terms of cost are generally far worse, like the cities in Arizona, Las Vegas, New Mexico and the farther eastern parts of California.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 217 times
Yes, I would only move to North Texas specifically the Parker/Lucas/Allen/Plano/Fairview area close to Highway 75 which is a straight 30 minute shot to downtown Dallas. Great restaurants, amenities, parks, no highway toll, great schools, large lots, new construction, plenty appreciation if you get in now, 35 minutes from Dallas Love field, 45 minutes to DFW, excellent high end shopping at Watters Creek/Allen Outlets/Fairview Towncenter, You still get that rural feel and your 5-10 minutes from everything. Frisco/Prosper/Celina is nice but you have to deal with the tollway and it is already getting congested with all the growth happening.If you like more of the city feel then that might be the place for you.

Old 04-22-2024, 10:50 PM

754 posts, read 409,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude7 View Post
How bullish are you on the future of the metroplex or are the good old days in the rearview mirror?
I would not move to Dallas if I were to start all over again.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:41 AM

281 posts, read 126,229 times
Default Dallas cooling off

It appears that Dallas is cooling off after a few years of insane job growth, corporate relos, population growth, GDP growth and just about everything else.
After over building now vacancies are becoming a problem. Job growth has slowed, a lot of layoffs have been announced. Relocations also seem to be slowing.
The cost of living has skyrocketed. So if someone were to come today they would have an entirely different experience.

Old 04-23-2024, 07:46 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,117,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
It appears that Dallas is cooling off after a few years of insane job growth, corporate relos, population growth, GDP growth and just about everything else.
After over building now vacancies are becoming a problem. Job growth has slowed, a lot of layoffs have been announced. Relocations also seem to be slowing.
The cost of living has skyrocketed. So if someone were to come today they would have an entirely different experience.
If only that were true. In 2023 DFW had the largest total increase in population of any metro area in the U.S.

Old 04-23-2024, 07:48 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 3 days ago)

8,370 posts, read 5,532,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
Youre going to have to provide data to be taken seriously when you make claims like that.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:53 AM

281 posts, read 126,229 times
Default Dallas fizzling

I watch this like a hawk. The end of last year plus the beginning of this year something has changed. Sure look at the BLS labor data below. Dallas had been averaging 70-90k annual job growth in Jan-Mar.
Now its down to 35k-50k. Layoffs are also starting to pile up. Dallas has been beat out by Atlanta, Miami and Houston heck I even think Phoenix beat them last month in YOY job growth. I'll go into more detail later and it's too early to be sure but It does look like Dallas is showing signs of slowing down and is not longer booming any more than its other sunbelt peers.
Dallas is also starting to pile up vacancies in the industrial sector and of course office vacancies.
Yes Dallas did lead the nation in population growth last year so that may be a plus.
I mean it has to slow down. How can you pile on office and industrial construction when there is already a high vacancy rate. Apartments are also starting to saturate the landscape.
Mark my words an check back later. I'm pretty sure that Dallas is losing steam.

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/SMU4...de_graphs=true

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Youre going to have to provide data to be taken seriously when you make claims like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas