Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 08:40 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,084,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
I want simple, quiet, silence, affordable and without crazy demented laws that appear overnight to tell me what to do/what not to do (like here in California).

I was just wondering about the humidity there, during the summer. Is it humid the whole summer, only some months of the summer...? I don't really know.

I have another option, to move to the desert, North. To Reno area, Nevada. It's high desert. We have to think about it and decide, my husband and I.
I don't blame you wanting to leave. However, Texas just trades one set of problems for another, so I wouldn't pick it for the politics.

I don't find summer to be bad at all unless it's cloudy or rainy. It is typically more likely in late spring and early summer. I personally don't notice the humidity much during dry, sunny spells.

If you live near the coast, you will probably not like Texas weather, but the only way to know is to visit during the summer. I would suggest June. I can't speak to Reno, but I think it's more mountain region than desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 08:44 AM

19,780 posts, read 18,073,660 times
I'm likely more money motivated than most. So yes.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:55 AM

3,117 posts, read 1,007,936 times
I appreciate the answers. I don't think it's for me there, unfortunately. It would have been nice...

I AM money motivated too and I find the move there a rational one. But I'm also one of these people who faints unexpectedly when it's too hot in the summer. I have low blood pressure and there's nothing I can do about it (born like that). So it's going to be hard for my health (to faint because of heat and experience pain during humid days).

Later edit: Still, I am willing to go and visit in June. Maybe I can take it. I'll think about it, thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by farm108; 03-29-2024 at 09:19 AM..

Old 03-29-2024, 10:59 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Kinda why I like Houston. Its laid back like Fort Worth but you never run into anyone you know randomly.
Normally it's a lot of fun and I've met some cool people that way. It's also worked out to my advantage many times. The only time I didn't like it was when I called a new doctor's office to schedule something very sensitive and private and an acquaintance of mine was the scheduler who took the call. I trust that she wouldn't violate HIPAA and wouldn't tell anyone even if she wasn't bound by HIPAA but it still made me feel uncomfortable.

Old 03-29-2024, 12:21 PM

19,780 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
I appreciate the answers. I don't think it's for me there, unfortunately. It would have been nice...

I AM money motivated too and I find the move there a rational one. But I'm also one of these people who faints unexpectedly when it's too hot in the summer. I have low blood pressure and there's nothing I can do about it (born like that). So it's going to be hard for my health (to faint because of heat and experience pain during humid days).

Later edit: Still, I am willing to go and visit in June. Maybe I can take it. I'll think about it, thanks for the suggestions.
Yikes sorry about the low BP.

Heat is a real thing around here. You should be careful.

Old 03-29-2024, 01:35 PM

Thank you, I appreciate your kind comment.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
I don't blame you wanting to leave. However, Texas just trades one set of problems for another, so I wouldn't pick it for the politics.

I don't find summer to be bad at all unless it's cloudy or rainy. It is typically more likely in late spring and early summer. I personally don't notice the humidity much during dry, sunny spells.

If you live near the coast, you will probably not like Texas weather, but the only way to know is to visit during the summer. I would suggest June. I can't speak to Reno, but I think it's more mountain region than desert.
When you say "Texas just trades one set of problems for another", what are you referring to? I'm genuinely curious.

Since I have to move, I just want to move/live in a free state, if you know what I mean...Would be nice.
I don't live near the coast but one hour East, to the interior.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:51 AM

5,829 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
When you say "Texas just trades one set of problems for another", what are you referring to? I'm genuinely curious.

Since I have to move, I just want to move/live in a free state, if you know what I mean...Would be nice.
I don't live near the coast but one hour East, to the interior.
DFW isn't red. Texas is barely red, but that's mostly due to voter turnout. Much of DFW is now blue or purple, and every major city in Texas except for Fort Worth is blue.

If you want a major city but want it to be red, that's going to be a bit tougher. Cities tend to run blue. But there are places that meet that criteria, and if you're willing to include slightly smaller cities, the list expands. But If you want a heavily-populated place, you may have to consider blue dots in red states.

The western slope of Colorado, including Grand Junction and Fruita, are dry and tend to lean toward a libertarian sort of red. But they're much, much smaller than DFW. Provo, UT may also be a consideration if the Mormon thing doesn't bother you. There are some places in the upper midwest, but winters can be quite brutal.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:28 AM

I know. Most of it I know anyway.

I don't want a major city, no. I don't want it to be heavily populated, I want the exact opposite. I mentioned all these in my previous comments here.

No Colorado, thanks.

Thanks for your comment. It's amazing what you said about the voter turnout in Texas. I believe you, it's true but still...amazing. The state of Texas blue/purple...(shaking my head).

Old 04-02-2024, 11:39 AM

5,829 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
I know. Most of it I know anyway.

I don't want a major city, no. I don't want it to be heavily populated, I want the exact opposite. I mentioned all these in my previous comments here.

No Colorado, thanks.

Thanks for your comment. It's amazing what you said about the voter turnout in Texas. I believe you, it's true but still...amazing. The state of Texas blue/purple...(shaking my head).
Northern Missouri is sparsely populated, avoids the heat and humidity of southern Missouri (it's a different climate zone than even St. Louis and Kansas City) and is deeply red. It's also cheap. It might be worth looking into, although it can be cold in the winter. Much of Iowa and Nebraska will be similar.

I'd also add western North Carolina, aside from Asheville. It's beautiful country, and there are tons of small towns. The elevation keeps things cool, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas