Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 06:12 PM

8,574 posts, read 10,997,949 times

Advertisements

It is my belief the two lotteries are rigged in some way.
I have never seen either of these lotteries have a consecutive winner right after a jackpot win.
Fact I haven't seen that with our California lottery as well.
It appears both power ball and mega millions never have a winner until the jackpot is in the hundreds of millions, and of late, more than a billion dollars.
They claim it is because the odds are so high that no one wins, and the pot keeps getting higher.

My feeling is, somehow the numbers chosen are controlled, and to back that up, when the power ball drawing was delayed some 7 hours this past Saturday, the lottery commission said it was because all tickets purchased had to be verified before the drawing.
This tells me the computer at the lottery drawing knows exactly what numbers have been purchased, and they perhaps program the computer controlling the game to not pick a winning combo until the pot is astronomical.

The higher the pot, the more tickets are sold.
Stands to reason when the pot is small, fewer people purchase tickets making the odds more in favor of someone winning, yet no one does in either of these lotteries.
It appears , at least to me, something is definitely wrong.

I recall watching a video of a few power ball draws, and I noticed something strange.
When all the balls fall into the tub, they move around, then this shaft in the middle raises with a numbered ball.
The shaft raises with one ball about every 3 or 4 seconds apart.
In two separate drawings I noticed the shaft rose in 3 or 4 seconds for three balls, then waited a good 6 or 7 seconds before picking up another ball.
I found that odd.

Hard to prove either lottery is doing something under handed, but I believe they are.
Like any gambling concern, the odds are always with the house, and the lottery is no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 06:26 PM

943 posts, read 394,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I have never seen either of these lotteries have a consecutive winner right after a jackpot win.
It appears both power ball and mega millions never have a winner until the jackpot is in the hundreds of millions, and of late, more than a billion dollars.
They claim it is because the odds are so high that no one wins, and the pot keeps getting higher.

My feeling is, somehow the numbers chosen are controlled, and to back that up, when the power ball drawing was delayed some 7 hours this past Saturday, the lottery commission said it was because all tickets purchased had to be verified before the drawing.
This tells me the computer at the lottery drawing knows exactly what numbers have been purchased, and they perhaps program the computer controlling the game to not pick a winning combo until the pot is astronomical.

Stands to reason when the pot is small, fewer people purchase tickets making the odds more in favor of someone winning, yet no one does in either of these lotteries.

I recall watching a video of a few power ball draws, and I noticed something strange.
When all the balls fall into the tub, they move around, then this shaft in the middle raises with a numbered ball.
In two separate drawings I noticed the shaft rose in 3 or 4 seconds for three balls, then waited a good 6 or 7 seconds before picking up another ball.
I found that odd.

Hard to prove either lottery is doing something under handed, but I believe they are.
Like any gambling concern, the odds are always with the house, and the lottery is no different.
I think you have this backwards. The more tickets sold means there are more combinations of numbers chosen which increases the odds that there would be a winner.

Old 04-08-2024, 10:52 PM

8,574 posts, read 10,997,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
I think you have this backwards. The more tickets sold means there are more combinations of numbers chosen which increases the odds that there would be a winner.
One would think that is the case, but it is not so, according to power ball statement they made explaining the recent delay last saturday.
I have looked for the article I read on their site, but can't find it.
It has been removed.
It stated something to the point of, "when the jackpots reach the amount of the current jackpot, the odds of winning the big jackpot are incredibly poor.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:14 AM

8,636 posts, read 9,149,643 times
Quote:

I found that odd.

The game has been rigged overtime. The game changed the odds to a level that is ridiculous. I recall as a kid the State of Maryland was one of the first states to roll out a state lottery. If my memory serves me it was a six digit lottery, 1-40, no Powerball bullchit. The odds were either 1.5 million to one or 7 million to one odds. The odds now are so out of whack, the greed so high that I don't bother at all. What are the odds now? More than the population of the United States, 350 million to one odds? Another words its the odds that has rigged the game.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:23 AM

943 posts, read 394,813 times
Quote:
One would think that is the case, but it is not so, according to power ball statement they made explaining the recent delay last saturday.
It has been removed.
It stated something to the point of, "when the jackpots reach the amount of the current jackpot, the odds of winning the big jackpot are incredibly poor.
The odds of a single ticket winning the jackpot remains the same regardless of the size of jackpot or number of tickets sold. And the odds are ALWAYS incredibly poor! But, I play anyway.

Think of it this way. Pick a number from 1 to 10 and ask a friend to guess that number. Now do the same but ask 10 friends to guess the number. Do you think that the single friend has a better chance of guessing the number than 1 or more of the 10 guessing the number?

I will agree that the increased number of players in the big jackpots DOES decrease the odds of a SINGLE winner of the jackpot. Meaning that it is more likely that more than one ticket may have guessed the correct numbers.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:27 AM

5,902 posts, read 6,974,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
The game has been rigged overtime. The game changed the odds to a level that is ridiculous. I recall as a kid the State of Maryland was one of the first states to roll out a state lottery. If my memory serves me it was a six digit lottery, 1-40, no Powerball bullchit. The odds were either 1.5 million to one or 7 million to one odds. The odds now are so out of whack, the greed so high that I don't bother at all. What are the odds now? More than the population of the United States, 350 million to one odds? Another words its the odds that has rigged the game.
The fact that there are long odds does not mean the game is rigged. As long as each ball truly has the same chance of being drawn as another, the game is fair. Some people do not understand that random means the odds of drawing 1-2-3-4-5 are the same as any other combination, like your children's birthdays, etc.

The odds of any specific person winning are almost astronomical. However, the chances that SOMEONE will eventually win are pretty good. What keeps people playing is that you have the same odds to be that someone as anyone else.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:37 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,302,314 times
Quote:
It has been removed.
As other's indicated - the "odds" for each ticket never changes. Regardless of what the jackpot is or how many tickets are sold. it's simply derived from the possible combinations.

Of course, one can increase their chances of winning by covering multiple combinations.

As for "rigged" - you'd have to provide proof. Certainly anyone can form an "opinion". That said - one can claim that they've rigged it by increasing the odds over the years to create more excitement. As the jackpot increases, it draws more people to play. So you make the odds so small, billion dollar jackpots are no longer an anomaly.

Old 04-09-2024, 08:54 AM

7,885 posts, read 3,866,155 times
In 2010, in the Hot Lotto fraud scandal, Eddie Raymond Tipton, former information security director of the Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL) (which also controls the Powerball game), rigged a random number generator to defraud the Hot Lotto lottery game of $14.3 million. On 20 July 2015, Tipton was found guilty on two counts of fraud and sentenced to ten years' imprisonment.

Subsequent criminal investigations revealed that Tipton had also rigged other state lotteries: the Colorado Lottery in 2005 ($568,990 jackpot prize paid to Tipton's brother Tommy); the Wisconsin Lottery in 2007 ($783,257 prize paid to Tipton's accomplice); and the Oklahoma Lottery in 2011 ($1.2 million prize). Tipton was tried again in 2017 and sentenced to 25 years in prison.

Old 04-09-2024, 09:11 AM

17,360 posts, read 22,108,706 times
The lottery is a game of chance, a true long shot. Only people that overlook the bad math actually play. The Oregon winner has already claimed the ticket (lots of planning for that win when you show up 2 days after the drawing to collect).

People need visuals: If the odds are 250 million to one and you took a row of 250 million pennies lined up from S. Florida to Northern Michigan that would represent the "chances." Now imagine you buy 5 tickets, so you have a 1400 mile (whatever) road trip to follow the trail of pennies so you can stop the car 5X and flip over ONE coin. If it has an X on it you win!

Most people won't take those odds if the trail of pennies goes across the city, nevermind across the country!

Old 04-09-2024, 10:36 AM

12,847 posts, read 871,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
The odds for the two largest games are:

Powerball JACKPOT 1 in 292,201,338.00
Mega Millions JACKPOT 1 in 302,575,350.00

Population of the United States is 341.4 million... or so say they say.
https://www.worldometers.info/world-...us-population/

Last edited by rainydayparis; 04-09-2024 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events