Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 09:02 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,720,848 times

Advertisements

I think your premise is a bit flawed.

Just looking at the Mega Millions you can see several instances where there were jackpots won back-to-back. There were 10 Jackpots won in 2023. Two of the Jackpots(20%) were won in the next draw, an additional 3 were won within a week of the previous jackpot. So all together 50% of the jackpots were won within a week of the previous drawing.
Quote:
  • December 8, 2023 - $394 million ($188.6 million cash) shared by two tickets in California; both sold at Chevron, 18081 Ventura Blvd, Encino.
  • October 6, 2023 - $361 million ($157.3 million cash) won by Blue Yucca Trust of Rapid City, S.D. (ticket purchased in San Angelo, Texas.)
  • August 15, 2023 - $39 million ($18.9 million cash), unclaimed in Jacksonville, Fla.
  • August 8, 2023 - $1.602 billion ($794.2 million cash) won by Saltines Holdings, LLC, with a ticket purchased in Neptune Beach, Fla.
  • April 18, 2023 - $20 million ($10.5 million cash) won by Shadowknight LLC of Syracuse, N.Y.
  • April 14, 2023 - $483 million ($256.9 million cash) won by Johnnie Taylor of Queens, N.Y.
  • January 31, 2023 - $31 million ($16.5 million cash) won by S & L Trust of Waltham, Mass.
  • January 24, 2023 - $33 million ($17.4 million cash) won by Skylark Group Trust of Wellesley, Mass.
  • January 17, 2023 - $20 million ($10.6 million cash) won by Jerson Garcia of the Bronx, N.Y.
  • January 13, 2023 - $1.348 billion ($723.5 million cash) won by LaKoma Island Investments, LLC, with a ticket purchased in Lebanon, Maine.
https://www.megamillions.com/jackpot-history

I think what you are seeing is that the higher the jackpot the more publicity it gets. So you may not be aware or really follow some of the lower drawings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 10:42 AM

68,338 posts, read 54,455,929 times
One thing I'm SURE of is there's certainly no shortage of conspiracy theories unsupported by little more than possiblies, maybes, could bes in this country.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:27 AM

3,934 posts, read 6,848,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
I think your premise is a bit flawed.

Just looking at the Mega Millions you can see several instances where there were jackpots won back-to-back. There were 10 Jackpots won in 2023. Two of the Jackpots(20%) were won in the next draw, an additional 3 were won within a week of the previous jackpot. So all together 50% of the jackpots were won within a week of the previous drawing.

https://www.megamillions.com/jackpot-history

I think what you are seeing is that the higher the jackpot the more publicity it gets. So you may not be aware or really follow some of the lower drawings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
One thing I'm SURE of is there's certainly no shortage of conspiracy theories unsupported by little more than possiblies, maybes, could bes in this country.
Frank debunked the OPs theory and Burdell provided the closing statement to this thread.

We can believe all we want but providing evidence for your point of view is rarely offered. Good thing the facts are there for us to debunk it. If this was a political post then even the facts would be ignored!

Old 04-15-2024, 01:02 PM

8,575 posts, read 10,997,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Frank debunked the OPs theory and Burdell provided the closing statement to this thread.

We can believe all we want but providing evidence for your point of view is rarely offered. Good thing the facts are there for us to debunk it. If this was a political post then even the facts would be ignored!
I ask someone before, and never got an answer.
Perhaps you care to answer it.
Watch the video posted and explain the inconsistency in the drawing, from ball two and ball three.
Just about a 9 second delay.
Like I told the other person posting, turn the volume down so her voice does not distract you from watching the draw itself.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:08 PM

1,711 posts, read 810,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The lottery is just a tax on people who cannot do math.

Dream on!
Or people who like to fantasize about being extremely rich.

It is escapism, much like a movie at the theater. You can day dream about all that you'll do with your winnings (and probably preying to God telling Him all the good you'd do if only allowed to win).

Me? I rarely play more because I just don't think about it. I can afford the tickets and would really love to win. So my thought was to buy tickets with the best odds with an amount that would materially change my life. 50K ain't doing it. A mil would be nice but get a 10MM jackpot with much better odds than the 1B. 10 mil isn't a billion but who really needs a billion?

Old 04-15-2024, 01:56 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,305,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I would ask "Labonte", after watching the video of the draw, how do you explain the time lapse between the second and third ball taking so long to choose the ball?
It that wasn't a calculated, programmed move, I will marry the pope next week.
That was a 9 second break between the second and third balls.
The others, about 2 seconds each
Lower the volume so her voice is not distracting you as you watch the video.
Just concentrate on the balls being picked up.

I have little need to watch.. The way the machines work.. The balls have to land in the right spot to be picked up.. As they're flying around inside the machine being shuffled.. It happens that sometimes it takes a few tries before the ball lands in the right spot to be 'selected'

Pick almost any lottery draw and you can see this happen from time to time. They hit the 'release' at the top and most times, you get a ball up there in just a second or two.. But every now and again, there's a delay.. just because.. I'd say chaos theory. a ball has to land or get in the spot to be picked up before it will be picked up.

Old 04-15-2024, 02:10 PM

45,463 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I have little need to watch.. The way the machines work.. The balls have to land in the right spot to be picked up.. As they're flying around inside the machine being shuffled.. It happens that sometimes it takes a few tries before the ball lands in the right spot to be 'selected'

Pick almost any lottery draw and you can see this happen from time to time. They hit the 'release' at the top and most times, you get a ball up there in just a second or two.. But every now and again, there's a delay.. just because.. I'd say chaos theory. a ball has to land or get in the spot to be picked up before it will be picked up.
A related item from awhile ago:

https://local21news.com/community/70...ottery-scandal

Old 04-15-2024, 03:30 PM

17,361 posts, read 22,108,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Texas has changed their 6 number games a couple (more?) times over the years, with the stated 'goal' being larger jackpots. Yeah, the jackpots are bigger... but at the expense of all the lesser prizes that sucked people into playing anyway. You knew the odds of winning the jackpot were crazy, but you could put a hundred dollar bill back in your pocket if you hit four numbers. Not anymore.

They did the same thing to the 5 number game.

The $$ these lotteries generate for the states is insane.

FL changed their original lottery a few times also. They also bumped the ticket price to $2. Unfortunately the jackpot crawls upward when there are no winners. It was back to 1mm last week after someone hit it for 11mm after weeks of rollovers.

Old 04-15-2024, 03:57 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,009,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I ask someone before, and never got an answer.
Perhaps you care to answer it.
Watch the video posted and explain the inconsistency in the drawing, from ball two and ball three.
Just about a 9 second delay.
Like I told the other person posting, turn the volume down so her voice does not distract you from watching the draw itself.
Because the time it takes isn't programmed, a ball has to behave in a certain manner to trigger the draw. If it was simply timed, there would be instances where the draw mechanism would be triggered with no ball.

This is all just an example of "if I don't understand it or if I haven't seen it it must be fake/rigged."

Last edited by rokuremote; 04-15-2024 at 04:09 PM..

Old 04-16-2024, 06:46 AM

8,055 posts, read 10,649,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
There also seems to be no shortage of actual corruption and greed in this country, so why would anyone think that the tentacles of that corruption couldn't possibly reach into the lottery cookie jar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events