Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 11:43 AM

78,713 posts, read 60,892,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Most other places pretty much release preliminary reports prior to the tox screen coming back.

I'll also mention... I'm sure they've shared the prelim results with the mother.. And.. The mother hasn't really been heard from lately.
Read my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 01:10 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,782,069 times
Quote:
Most other places pretty much release preliminary reports prior to the tox screen coming back.

I'll also mention... I'm sure they've shared the prelim results with the mother.. And.. The mother hasn't really been heard from lately.
There are literally a possibility of dozens of samples taken during autopsy, both tissue and liquids (liver, spleen, eyeball, stomach contents [if present] etc), and then dozens of tests performed depending upon what they are looking for/suspect in the tox panels. I would think this case would be one where the ME collected many samples since it's a bit "high profile".

If something "lights up" on toxicology, further testing is done for confirmation. If more than one drug is present in the system, those get confirmation re-tests as well. Some labs are not equipped for specialized testing for specifics and positive sampling is sent out to labs that are. For example, you can pull a positive for opiates but the lab may not be equipped to test to determine a specific opioid and it will be sent to a lab that is. Some of this testing can take months to complete.

Then there is data interpretation, such as synergism of two or more drugs found.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:00 PM

17,680 posts, read 15,392,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
There are literally a possibility of dozens of samples taken during autopsy, both tissue and liquids (liver, spleen, eyeball, stomach contents [if present] etc), and then dozens of tests performed depending upon what they are looking for/suspect in the tox panels. I would think this case would be one where the ME collected many samples since it's a bit "high profile".

If something "lights up" on toxicology, further testing is done for confirmation. If more than one drug is present in the system, those get confirmation re-tests as well. Some labs are not equipped for specialized testing for specifics and positive sampling is sent out to labs that are. For example, you can pull a positive for opiates but the lab may not be equipped to test to determine a specific opioid and it will be sent to a lab that is. Some of this testing can take months to complete.

Then there is data interpretation, such as synergism of two or more drugs found.

The ME who did the autopsy knows why he died.

He might not know what CAUSED it.. But he knows why death occurred, just from the autopsy.

The tox screen is to see what's there, to fully establish the CAUSE of death. Right now, they know.. I suppose the term might be the 'mechanism of death'.. Be it heart attack, aneurysm, stroke, cancer, etc, etc.. That's known.

Again.. I suppose i'm a little stuck and can't really get past the fact that MA apparently doesn't release that information. So, basically, we're at the mercy of the family.

*IF* it winds up being drugs.. And, I don't say it certainly is.. I do hold the possibility of it out there.. I'd be a tad surprised if they have to do a whole lot of testing to determine what it is. Can't particularly imagine a middle schooler getting hold of something exotic that wouldn't pop in a standard tox screen.

The things you're talking, having multiple labs determine the substance.. I mean, arsenic poisoning, strychnine and things like that.. I don't disagree with you. But.. I don't see him having been poisoned.

Old 09-21-2023, 03:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 13,123,011 times
Toxicology takes a long time to come back. And by the time it does, the news cycle has moved on and everyone's forgotten about it!

Old 05-07-2024, 02:22 PM

We all kinda forgot about this.. A few places are giving this as a COD, but it's not official.

"acute cerebellar stroke"

Old 05-07-2024, 02:33 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,782,069 times
Quote:
We all kinda forgot about this.. A few places are giving this as a COD, but it's not official.

"acute cerebellar stroke"
Source(s) available? Google results give nothing current, and no updates as to COD.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:13 PM

17,453 posts, read 15,584,798 times
Quote:
Source(s) available? Google results give nothing current, and no updates as to COD.
Yeah I did a search, and am not finding anything linking the chip to COD.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yeah I did a search, and am not finding anything linking the chip to COD.

I specifically said.. Not official. And never said anything remotely close to linking the chip to the COD.

https://www.uscannenbergmedia.com/20...the%20hospital.

And, actually, reading a bit more closely.. I'm not sure it's the same person. Because the story mentions that the teen died 2 days after eating the chip. Both were, apparently, from MA, though, which may be what fooled me. I don't recall the name of the teen who died, but.. I thought it was the same day.

The ages and location match up, tho.

Ok.. I think that story got their facts confused.. Look at this article..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...h/70784180007/

that brings up the stroke as well, but in a 15 year old who ate a carolina reaper, that happened two days after he ate it, and he didn't die. I think the article from the media place, the first link.. Juxtaposed/combined the stories.

I searched for one chip challenge acute cerebellar stroke and saw what was seemingly corroboration, but.. It appears the other stories are just mentioning the fact that a different teen had a stroke 2 days after eating a reaper. So, I don't think it's even unofficial that was the COD in the MA teen.. Just a marketing website with a poorly written article.

That being said.. There's been no other stories on this that I have seen.. No lawsuits having been filed going on 9 months later. So.. Kinda tells me that whatever was in the autopsy.. Shows that the chip is not what killed him.

Old Today, 02:38 PM

Ok.. Here's a better article, I believe.

https://www.foxcarolina.com/2024/05/...t-concludes-2/

Quote:
The cause of death was listed as cardiopulmonary arrest “in the setting of recent ingestion of food substance with high capsaicin concentration.” The report also noted that the teen had an enlarged heart and a congenital heart defect.

So.. I disagree with the title of the article, that he died from eating the chip. I'll leave some wiggle that perhaps the chip could have been a 'trigger' event, but.. Enlarged Heart and heart defect is what killed him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events