Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 01:06 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Is there an actual legitimate reason to eat one of these chips, other than macho bragging rights?
not really. i won one of them about 4 years ago, back when that was the only way you could obtain one (short of buying one that someone else won on e-bay for 20 bucks).

i still have it

i agree with the OP, it's a stretch to claim him eating it was what caused his death, even if it made him feel like he was dying at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 01:11 PM

7,911 posts, read 3,456,890 times
Here's a more local story on the incident.

https://www.boston.com/news/food-new...h-paqui-chips/

Old 09-05-2023, 01:20 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Why? It’s literally just a spicy chip. Why should it be removed from the market? Should all spicy foods be taken down from the shelves? I’ve had chicken wings and ramen soup just as hot as this thing (albeit much tastier.) This isn’t Paqui’s fault.
Hey, we're all entitled to our opinions. It's my opinion that the one chip challenge is stupid and I think people who follow through on it are stupid for taking the risk of consuming something that they don't know the origin of or what species it is derived from since capsaicin doesn't come from only one species of plant. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Capsaicin from certain species of plants in the capsicum family are toxic enough to cause reactions that can kill some individuals as well as some animals, and that's a fact, it's not an opinion.

I couldn't care less if all spicy foods were taken down from the shelves since it wouldn't effect me and I'm not interested in other people's eating habits. Everyone is different. If people want to eat capsaicin that's their business and their risk but maybe they should determine first what levels their bodies can tolerate and what varieties of capsicum species are safe to consume. Maybe they should do their own cooking with it too and cut out the middle men who present consumers with unhealthy and stupid challenges.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:24 PM

1,128 posts, read 610,985 times
Quote:
I tried the chip with my kids last year just for fun. There was no real reason behind it other than just that: silly fun.
It was hot, as expected. Didn’t taste particularly good. The heat went away soon enough, just like any other extremely spicy food. I’d say perhaps even quicker than stuff like nuclear or whatever wings you can get at Buffalo Wild Wings or Winghouse, since this is just a powder-coated chip, vs thick sauce that coats your lips, mouth, throat, etc.

No way did this chip kill him. That makes no sense. One can chow down on a whole Carolina Reaper or Ghost Pepper and nothing other than discomfort will happen.
My friend who eats super spicy daily grew some Reapers in his sunny backyard 2 yrs ago. He brought up one pepper to the cottage and NOBODY can eat more than a tiny sliver without getting the hiccups.

It was actually quite tasty if put into noodles, etc. But omg that was the spiciest pepper I've ever had. And even though his regularly eats a ton of Scotch Bonnets, weri weri, etc ... he says it's way too spicy.

So I can't even imagine a person eating a whole raw Reaper pepper without extreme pain.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:25 PM

17,363 posts, read 16,505,917 times
14 year old boys goof around and do stuff like this more than we know.

This boy's death is tragic but I also tend to doubt that it was related to eating that chip. I hope the medical examiner is able to give his family answers.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:29 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:
I tried the chip with my kids last year just for fun. There was no real reason behind it other than just that: silly fun.
It was hot, as expected. Didn’t taste particularly good. The heat went away soon enough, just like any other extremely spicy food. I’d say perhaps even quicker than stuff like nuclear or whatever wings you can get at Buffalo Wild Wings or Winghouse, since this is just a powder-coated chip, vs thick sauce that coats your lips, mouth, throat, etc.

No way did this chip kill him. That makes no sense. One can chow down on a whole Carolina Reaper or Ghost Pepper and nothing other than discomfort will happen.
this article hilariously refers to it as a california reaper.

Quote:
Manufactured by Paqui since 2016, the chip is the product of Texas-based Amplify Snack Brands which was acquired by The Hershey Company in 2017.

A new flavor is released every year, and the 2023 edition became available on Amazon starting August 9. While under ten ingredients are listed, two that stand out the most are the California Reaper Pepper and Naga Viper Pepper.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ge-tiktok.html

those actually do exist, but i highly doubt that's what they were referring to.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Here's a more local story on the incident.

https://www.boston.com/news/food-new...h-paqui-chips/
Thanks, that article is actually informative and helpful.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:36 PM

9,855 posts, read 4,634,723 times
Sometimes a 'challenge' is ment to attract the brave, the winners, the best. Other times it's bait to lure no so brite or suckers.

A 'challenge' doesn't make something legal, ethical or wise.

Old 09-05-2023, 02:21 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Hey, we're all entitled to our opinions. It's my opinion that the one chip challenge is stupid and I think people who follow through on it are stupid for taking the risk of consuming something that they don't know the origin of or what species it is derived from since capsaicin doesn't come from only one species of plant. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Capsaicin from certain species of plants in the capsicum family are toxic enough to cause reactions that can kill some individuals as well as some animals, and that's a fact, it's not an opinion.

Huh? The ingredients are all listed. There are two types of peppers that go into the seasoning of the chip: Carolina Reaper Pepper, Naga Viper Pepper. Neither one of those are toxic to humans.
There is no evidence that eating hot peppers can kill people. It will cause misery and discomfort if consumed in excess. One would have to consume impossible amounts of capsaicin to suffer life-threatening illnesses.

https://www.seriouseats.com/serious-...-even-possible
"In fact, the average person would have to eat enough capsicum equal to approximately 30 pounds of jalapeños in one sitting to get a lethal dose."

https://www.treehugger.com/can-spicy...ll-you-4863537
""A research study in 1980 calculated that three pounds of extreme chilies in powder form — of something like the Bhut Jolokia [known as ghost peppers] — eaten all at once could kill a 150-pound person. However, one's body would react sooner and not allow it to happen."

So one would have to eat multiple POUNDS of ghost peppers all at once to have potentially lethal consequences.

Just saying, it's literally just a very spicy tortilla chip, seasoned with powdered pepper from two listed sources. Nothing secret or hidden about it. Maybe the kid ate a whole bag of it? Or maybe he had other severe medical issues.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 09-05-2023 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-05-2023, 02:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
My friend who eats super spicy daily grew some Reapers in his sunny backyard 2 yrs ago. He brought up one pepper to the cottage and NOBODY can eat more than a tiny sliver without getting the hiccups.

It was actually quite tasty if put into noodles, etc. But omg that was the spiciest pepper I've ever had. And even though his regularly eats a ton of Scotch Bonnets, weri weri, etc ... he says it's way too spicy.

So I can't even imagine a person eating a whole raw Reaper pepper without extreme pain.

I've got some growing in my garden now. I've gotten one off it and have 2 more coming in.

We make salsa out of them.. And it's got good heat, but we use so little that it's not death incarnate. one reaper goes a long, long way.

I grew Ghost Peppers a couple of years ago.. And we ate that straight up. Pretty nasty.

but that's true with many peppers. Few peppers are good on their own.. They're good with something else, or in something. You want something excellent.. Jalapenos in Tuna Salad.

My grandmother looked at me like I was insane when I first made that.. She tasted it and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events