Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I'm not a regular Publix shopper, but what I do like about Publix is definitely their customer service attitude. Overall, they are a little more expensive than Kroger, but if you are a savvy grocery shopper (i.e. wait for sales or coupons), Publix can be very competitive there, too.

The best thing Publix has done in the Nashville market is challenge Kroger to better themselves. If you notice, Kroger has tended to renovate their stores that are close to Publix stores (mainly because they were dirty or outdated). I've also noticed that Krogers that are near a Publix offer a broader range of products, and better meat and produce.

The thing Publix did in the Nashville market is that they didn't dip their feet in the pool. They dove in. I forget when they first entered, but it isn't more than 15 years or so...and now there are 28 locations in the metro, and 2 more in Clarksville.

If/when they move into Cookeville, I wouldn't be surprised if they plan two store simultaneously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
I believe there are now three Publix stores in Murfreesboro. I would anticipate only one Publix store in Cookeville because of the market conditions, but for sure Kroger will have to up its game to be competitive.
Publix could easily open two stores in Cookeville and impact Kroger and Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:18 AM

666 posts, read 761,870 times
Quote:
You're excluding the opportunity cost variable. Go to Kroger, people who shop there more times than not shop there to avoid shopping at Wal*Mart. Kroger shoppers pay a premium to shop at Kroger because the cost of the benefit outweighs the actual cost of the items they purchase as determined by their own personal calculation.
Kroger is more expensive and they will always attract certain customers who are willing to pay more to not be seen at Walmart but Walmart will always take the market share of customers in Cookeville due to the lower overall costs. If Publix is even more expensive then they might take Kroger's customers but not many Walmart customers.

When I lived in Southern California most people wouldn't get caught dead in Walmart's and would gladly pay a premium to shop at places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's ... but then they also wore trendy high fashion clothes and drove overpriced Beemers and Benz's.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:24 AM

869 posts, read 1,785,873 times
10th and Old Kentucky isn't going to happen, for anyone, is what I've heard. Land is owned by numerous members of 1 family and they cannot agree, including some members who refuse to sell.
I've heard that the Marketplace is coming, has their location picket out, but will not announce anything until the other commitments are final. They are now waiting to see if the 2nd bidder for Jackson/Willow will come thru and what their plans are, and a true commitment for Eagle Pointe before you have an announcement from Kroger.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:31 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
10th and Old Kentucky isn't going to happen, for anyone, is what I've heard. Land is owned by numerous members of 1 family and they cannot agree, including some members who refuse to sell.
I've heard that the Marketplace is coming, has their location picket out, but will not announce anything until the other commitments are final. They are now waiting to see if the 2nd bidder for Jackson/Willow will come thru and what their plans are, and a true commitment for Eagle Pointe before you have an announcement from Kroger.
That's interesting about the Kroger Marketplace. I wonder where it's going to go if it's not at Old Kentucky & 10th. Maybe the old Norwalk site? Or by Sam's? Or by Kohl's?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-27-2015, 11:43 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Would a Kroger Marketplace at East Tenth Street and North Old Kentucky Road be an additional store?

Was the planned Walmart a Supercenter or a Neigborhood Market?
Neighborhood Market.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
Kroger is more expensive and they will always attract certain customers who are willing to pay more to not be seen at Walmart but Walmart will always take the market share of customers in Cookeville due to the lower overall costs. If Publix is even more expensive then they might take Kroger's customers but not many Walmart customers.

When I lived in Southern California most people wouldn't get caught dead in Walmart's and would gladly pay a premium to shop at places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's ... but then they also wore trendy high fashion clothes and drove overpriced Beemers and Benz's.
A few reasons to shop at Kroger rather than Wal*Mart:

Kroger is easier to get in and out of in Cookeville than either Wal*Mart.

Kroger has more own brands than Wal*Mart, and Kroger's own brands are usually less expensive than Wal*Mart's own brands, e.g. cream cheese. Up until this year, Kroger's own brand cream cheese cost $1 per box. Wal*Mart's own brand cream cheese was as much if not more than national brand cream cheese for sale side by side. Kroger's cream cheese did climb to $1.79 per box at some point during 2015.

Fuel points.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That interesting about the Kroger Marketplace. I wonder where it's going to go if it's not at Old Kentucky & 10th. Maybe the old Norwalk site? Or by Sam's? Or by Kohl's?
The old Norwalk site was my guess. I'm pretty sure that Kroger knows where the store will go, just laying low for now. My bet is that they have all of their ducks in a row already, will let Publix have the hype of the announcement of Eagle Pointe, then they'll come in and get their new store built and open before Eagle Pointe gets Publix open. If they choose the old Norwalk site, they could easily keep the existing Kroger open.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:58 AM

I sincerely hope a Kroger Marketplace is not built at Norwalk site nor anywhere on Jackson. Too bad that "Stone Henge" development on Old Kentucky between Spring and Jefferson never materialized.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
A few reasons to shop at Kroger rather than Wal*Mart:

Kroger is easier to get in and out of in Cookeville than either Wal*Mart.

Kroger has more own brands than Wal*Mart, and Kroger's own brands are usually less expensive than Wal*Mart's own brands, e.g. cream cheese. Up until this year, Kroger's own brand cream cheese cost $1 per box. Wal*Mart's own brand cream cheese was as much if not more than national brand cream cheese for sale side by side. Kroger's cream cheese did climb to $1.79 per box at some point during 2015.

Fuel points.

Completely agree with this, especially with the lack of choice at WalMart. One of the bonuses with Fuel Points is the 4X on Gift Cards specials. 1 $25 gift card can save you $.10/gal when the do that. My son bought a new Macbook at BestBuy with HS graduation $$. We bought $700 of Gift cards toward it from Kroger, 2800 fuel points. $2.80/gal and you can buy 35 gallons each time. So, we saved over $100 on gas from just that. Plus, if you do the online survey once a week you can get another 200 points/month.

Even though we live west of Willow and south of Jackson, if we are going to do any grocery shopping at Walmart, we will drive over to Algood, a much better store overall.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:20 PM

As well, at the Kroger pharmacy for our prescriptions it's no less than 50 fuel points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville