Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 10:49 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I used to be a Sony fan, then made the transition to Samsung. I have been very happy with the two I've had so far. Currently, a 65" model from Costco. It came with a 3-year warranty and only cost $500 on Black Friday.

Excellent picture too!
I have never been able to get out of my mind Samsung's fire issues in various products over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 11:22 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,740,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Excuse me? Would this have involved structurally reinforcing the wall?

An adequate wall mount for almost any size TV is $50-100. A fancy one (articulating/height adjusting) might be $200. Mounting involves no more than getting the base pieces on studs.

Even huge TVs hardly weigh anything any more. We're not in the days when a plasma could weigh 150 pounds or more. A 70" I just looked up weighs 50 pounds.

Who told you it would cost as much as the TV itself?
Articulating & height adjustable mount, Structural and clearance issues; it was going in a corner of a post and beam house with 45 degree reinforcing beams, plaster on lath walls. Being out in the sticks had something to do with it as well. There's a center channel speaker on it as well.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:30 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Articulating & height adjustable mount, Structural and clearance issues; it was going in a corner of a post and beam house with 45 degree reinforcing beams, plaster on lath walls. Being out in the sticks had something to do with it as well. There's a center channel speaker on it as well.
Having done my share of (structurally/position-ally) complex installations, including fully hidden ones and fully hidden wiring, in older houses, I still can't see this being a $1,000 thing. I'll just take your word for it.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:34 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have never been able to get out of my mind Samsung's fire issues in various products over the years.
I'm not aware of, nor finding, any data that Samsung TVs are more prone to dangerous failure than any other brand.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:42 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
As good a choice as any —
  • from a respected maker
  • 65 inch class
  • OLED
Just noting you'd probably be just as happy, short and long term, with the equivalent model from Samsung or VIZIO. And with some careful review-checking, with equivalent models from the next-tier makers.

It's easy once you understand the marketing blather — which includes most of the magazines, websites and blogs — means nothing at all.
True. I am just going to wait another couple of weeks when the 2023 models hit the sales floor and the pices for the 2022 models drop.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:09 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
I'm not aware of, nor finding, any data that Samsung TVs are more prone to dangerous failure than any other brand.
A consumer class action lawsuit says that certain Samsung LED TVs overheat and become unusable, and the company has made no effort to fix the problem.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...come-unusable/

Old 03-23-2023, 08:20 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I am just looking for the absolute BEST possible picture possible. ?
OLED - best picture
Either LG or Sony.
Ignore the smart features and don’t use them as they track your viewing.
Not enough year-on-year differences. Look at price.
Bigger is better.
The best box is Apple TV.

Consider https://www.amazon.com/LG-65-Inch-Re...dp/B09RMR23XL/

Old 03-24-2023, 07:24 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Ignore the smart features and don’t use them as they track your viewing.
Meh. I think a lot of us just don't really care all that much that Vizio knows I watched "Game of Thrones".

Old 03-24-2023, 07:37 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Meh. I think a lot of us just don't really care all that much that Vizio knows I watched "Game of Thrones".
I agree.

Old 03-29-2023, 03:15 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
My unsupported but not-without-data take is that this is where TVs that aren't really watched get mounted. The ones that are on from breakfast to bedtime, glanced at and listened to, but rarely sat-and-watched. Vis/aud wallpaper, techy companion thing.
I know a few people that have it over the fireplace. And it's the main TV. A TV should be at or near eye level.
Quote:
My unsupported but not-without-data take is that this is where TVs that aren't really watched get mounted. The ones that are on from breakfast to bedtime, glanced at and listened to, but rarely sat-and-watched. Vis/aud wallpaper, techy companion thing.
I know a few people that have it over the fireplace. And it's the main TV. A TV should be at or near eye level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm also not sure the heat from a fireplace would be good for a t.v. set above it.
This is a non issue. Few fireplace generate very much heat above the mantle and if yours does, I hope you'd be smart enough not to put t there. (Proverbial you, not you).

Quote:
Just noting you'd probably be just as happy, short and long term, with the equivalent model from Samsung or VIZIO.
Vizio sucks. My Vizio TV froze on me today. Froze on the screensaver. I had to unplug it. Insane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I appreciate all the responses here. I've pretty much decided on purchasing the Sony Bravia XR A95K 4k OLED tv.

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/so...a-xr-a95k-oled

Your money, bro. The LG is a lot cheaper and every single bit as good. That's the one to get IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
(Now cue, like clockwork, the legions who will swear on a stack of TV Guides
Stack of what??

Quote:
that they only ever watch their 155" TV for one special program twice a week,

Cue a bunch of crap that didn't happen...
Nobody asked you, Rabbit. I love my TV. Don't care if you don't. Let's move on. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics