Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 07:52 AM

351 posts, read 161,143 times

Advertisements

The problem with Austin is it takes you 5 hours to get to michelin restaurant or Uncle Vanya show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 07:57 AM

879 posts, read 1,659,704 times
I've noticed a bit of slowdown in Fairfield, but mostly that the houses that I thought were not in good enough condition or location for the price being asked have come down some. Still a ton of homes marked contingent quickly. Renovated houses under 1MM still feel to me like they're flying.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:53 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,182,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
He/she was talking about bigger price cuts in markets where inventories are up like Austin, and correctly so.
Fairifeld has some modest cuts and most homes listed are pending. If you put Fairfield in a realty search engine there are only 4-5 pages worth of listings. In the old days towns and cities would have over 20-30 pages.
2019 prices will have to wait. It's a looong way down from here. Gonna need to take an express elevator down.
"He" btw haha.

I've been following "insider" RE agents here and nationally just to get a pulse of what's going on.

Most are in agreement that lowering rates will increase inventory, especially in areas like ours that inventory is insanely tight. But after that there are a number of takes of where housing in many areas will go. Broadly speaking many think that the lowering of rates will convince new buyers into the market to push their leverage back to the brink ala 2018 with rising wages will cause increasing sale prices faster than inventory slack will lower them. On the other side many think the compounding issues of stuck mortgage holders/pent up selling demand/the most desperate already out of the market or have recently purchased will keep the buying demand lower than cutting rates will lower sale prices generally. My personal take is that we have to see the raw numbers on how re-leveraged current mortgages are to gauge banks appetite for lending to homebuyers at plus 5.5x.

With Austin and the other Covid boom markets we are seeing in real time the high rate/ increasing inventory scenario. How it affects this area is the actual amount of the new comers that assumed WFH was here to stay and getting called back to 4+ days in the office. I actually think it's a lot less than what has been reported on in the press.

Old 12-15-2023, 08:21 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,428,667 times
Just closed 2 rentals in Danbury. One was snapped one that first day, but only 4 showings in total-$3000/month modest raised ranch. The other only 1 had one offer to rent after 10 days on the market, but had someone that really wanted it after we took the offer-$3800/month.
My office recently sold a city center Danbury property $50k over list, standard move up brookfield colonial about $30k over list. I also recently closed a large Brookfield home after 4 months on the market, no price reductions but not too much interest despite size, pool and location, as it was well maintained but dated built by orginal owners in 2001.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:19 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Holy cow! Reventure Consukting, the real estate consulting firm has rated Hartford the country’s No. 1 for real estate appreciation. They also named New Haven No. 7 in the country. Unbelievable.

Of course many parts of the country, especially those that really boomed, are now pulling back with some even crashing. Hopefully Connecticut will escape the worse of that. Will see.

https://youtu.be/Vgq1yX5Ss9Y?si=HG9RZvKrby6zm9qn

Old 12-18-2023, 08:16 AM

879 posts, read 1,659,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Holy cow! Reventure Consukting, the real estate consulting firm has rated Hartford the country’s No. 1 for real estate appreciation. They also named New Haven No. 7 in the country. Unbelievable.

Of course many parts of the country, especially those that really boomed, are now pulling back with some even crashing. Hopefully Connecticut will escape the worse of that. Will see.

https://youtu.be/Vgq1yX5Ss9Y?si=HG9RZvKrby6zm9qn
We never really recovered the same way as most of the country after 2008. We took a huge loss on the house we bought in 2007 (sold in 2015) and then our current house, the one bought in 2015, was flat in value (according to places like Zillow) until everything happened in 2020. Hopefully, this is just a delayed recovery. That said, it's easy for me to say that when I have a house.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:11 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Holy cow! This is unexpected. Zillow just named four Connecticut towns in the Top 10 website surfing communities in the country. At No. 4 is Wethersfield beating out West Hartford which is No. 5. At No. 7 is Middletown and Newington is No. 9. I would expect West Hartford and even Middletown but not Wethersfield and Newington. Milford and West Have were the top coastal towns in the state. I can understand them.

https://patch.com/connecticut/across...e-surfing-list

Old 12-20-2023, 10:20 AM

275 posts, read 144,362 times
Quote:
Holy cow! This is unexpected. Zillow just named four Connecticut towns in the Top 10 website surfing communities in the country. At No. 4 is Wethersfield beating out West Hartford which is No. 5. At No. 7 is Middletown and Newington is No. 9. I would expect West Hartford and even Middletown but not Wethersfield and Newington. Milford and West Have were the top coastal towns in the state. I can understand them.

CT purists would argue 6 out of the top 10 towns!

Old 12-20-2023, 10:36 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:

West Haven could be a bargain to invest in, if they can get momentum and a decent government in. There's no reason why it can't be a more successful town.

Old 12-22-2023, 09:18 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,867 times
Realtor.com rates Hartford Metro as the #1 realestate market in the country for 2023.

https://www.greenwichtime.com/busine...20in%20January.
Also apparently Southington was among the most searched zipcodes in the country this fall.

What I'm seeing locally is very slim pickings on the market and not a lot of prime realestate going up (lots of dated stuff) and even still price reductions are small or non existent. Also seeing a lot more new builds coming out with really big price tags.

On the NY connection all my new neighbors are from NY or Mass, Talking with coworkers it seems NY plates are very common at all the houses the see recently sold here. So for some reason central CT is even seeing in influx of NYers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut