Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 08:18 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,876,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
The civic center will be replaced. It makes sense now why the cost for this project is high.
Civic Center is not being replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 11:44 AM

217 posts, read 226,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyers3 View Post
Yes, I was referring to the development, not the stadium. Those are here:

Is there any structural changes like more seats or are these just renovations? The design looks like the same structure with just new seats.

Old 04-12-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyers3 View Post
Civic Center is not being replaced.

Currently the Civic center has a 10,000 capacity for concerts. We barely meet sold out tickets for the majority of the events held there.

I was wondering about having a similar situation like GreenBay, Wisconsin where the citizens are taxed to keep the National Team there. Greenbay only has 107,000 people. Columbus has over 200,000. I wonder has anyone thought about that idea?

Old 04-12-2024, 06:27 PM

38 posts, read 63,742 times
Quote:
The civic center will be replaced. It makes sense now why the cost for this project is high.
The Civic Center is not being replaced.
and 50 million is chump change that would not be enough to replace a Civic Center under 2024's construction rates. So it's tiny. Not high.
The only thing the small 50 million dollar amount is earmarked for is to do mandatory upgrades to the existing Golden Park facility to bring the old stadium up to speed and comply to 2025's new league standards.

All these other parking lot buildings you see in the drawings that aren't part of the Golden Park stadium like the shops, restaurants, hotel tower, apartments, entertainment centers, parking decks, and meeting halls will require anywhere from 300 million to 3/4 of a billion to complete. That will have to be done by private investors and private developers. But the city government was made to show good faith in restoring just the stadium itself with just the 50 million. 50 million isn't going to build you all those things you see in the picture throughout the parking lot. That's something private enterprise is waiting to start on after the city makes good on it's little 50 million dollar Golden Park promise first. Just one of those South Commons buildings pictured above that private developers want to build could be 250 million by itself. and yet there are many buildings. The whole South Commons redevelopment district could be anywhere from a half billion to a billion to develop over the next several years. 50 million is tiny and won't get you all that you see here and definitely won't buy you a new Civic Center. It's only to upgrade Golden Park to show developers that Columbus has good faith on their end to start the project. A very massive project. But no different than any other minor league city. All cities must comply to the exact same standards and Columbus is not unique in this matter. This same debate is raging in every county commission and every city council chamber in the United States with this same exact mandatory 50 million dollar stadium upgrade requirement argument no matter what the name of your town is.

Old 04-14-2024, 02:43 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,199,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
Really? It's not that old. It was built in 1996 which makes it 28. The old Columbus Municipal Auditorium was over 40 years old when the Civic Center replaced it.

That being said, I have no idea if it still meets the city's needs.
In my opinion,it's gone. Looking at the new rendering of the complex,there is no way multiple events can take place at once with that much limited parking space. One of the large buildings closer to victory dr will be the new arena,which will actually be closer to the original location of the old auditorium.

Old 04-15-2024, 02:00 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,554,093 times
If you're building parking stacked (from underground to above) it's enough space- likely more than what was already there
Parking lots just take up more space- not to mention- someone else can swoop through and make another garage from underground if the first development is successful

Old 04-16-2024, 07:40 AM

Also is there a Navy Reserve place in front of the Civic Center as well? That would need relocation as well!

Old 04-16-2024, 02:29 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,876,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesjb131 View Post
Also is there a Navy Reserve place in front of the Civic Center as well? That would need relocation as well!
I think that relocated?

Old 04-19-2024, 03:13 AM

317 posts, read 265,421 times
Quote:
In my opinion,it's gone. Looking at the new rendering of the complex,there is no way multiple events can take place at once with that much limited parking space. One of the large buildings closer to victory dr will be the new arena,which will actually be closer to the original location of the old auditorium.
I'm sure we'll get a total amount of parking spaces soon. There's still going to be parking in the lots along Lumpkin.

I've heard nothing about the Civic Center being replaced. I feel like that's not the type of thing they would spring on the voters. At least I hope not.

Old 04-19-2024, 04:51 AM

180 posts, read 137,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
I'm sure we'll get a total amount of parking spaces soon. There's still going to be parking in the lots along Lumpkin.

I've heard nothing about the Civic Center being replaced. I feel like that's not the type of thing they would spring on the voters. At least I hope not.
The Civic Center is not getting replaced, they just made upgrades and improvements to the facility…literally. So I’m not sure why that user would suggest that when even in the renderings you can still see the Civic Center standing, like???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA