Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 07:17 PM

70 posts, read 61,639 times

Advertisements

I don’t see them being named the Georgia Braves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 04:19 AM

175 posts, read 127,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
Naming it Georgia Braves sounds like it would be confusing. If you tell someone you went to a Georgia Braves game they might think you are referring to the Atlanta Braves if they aren't familiar with the area and minor league baseball. Is that a working title or the finalized name for the team?
Theres no word on the name change yet, was just throwing it out there. They have a minute to decide though cause this 2024 they will remain the Mississippi Braves. So towards the end of this year they might start making new announcements with the name change ahead of the 2025 season at Golden Park.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:53 AM

297 posts, read 259,242 times
Anyone have any insider updates with this? Definitely could be huge for the city but I hear the deal may be in jeopardy.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:19 PM

70 posts, read 61,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
Anyone have any insider updates with this? Definitely could be huge for the city but I hear the deal may be in jeopardy.
Just the city council being the city council.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:37 PM

36 posts, read 61,141 times
I wish we could give the team a unique name like the Catfish or Mudcats or RedStixx again.
MudCats was our idea before the Houston Astros organization took it from us and carried their named property to North Carolina. But we need a unique name of our own instead of just another Something Braves.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingtoreloc78 View Post
I don’t see them being named the Georgia Braves.
Me either since we already have a several other Braves in Georgia, and we're just one of them.
I'd love to retrieve our own Mudcats name back from North Carolina that they took from us. Or go back to calling ourselves The Catfish or The RedStixx. Anything unique to our area. Not just another "Something Braves". That's tacky and sounds podunk.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:47 PM

Brasfield & Gorrie were awarded the stadium upgrade contract at Golden Park. They have quite a lot of experience doing exactly that since they were the main general contractors for building SunTrust Park/Truist Park in Cobb County and were the one's who built the Battery Atlanta at Truist Park. Perhaps they'll be awarded the other South Commons contract to build our own South Commons Riverfront Battery as well since it's all right up their alley of experience and they are always the main go-to contractors for anything big in Columbus.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:41 PM

Brasfield & Gorrie's Golden Park design will have to be planned out thoroughly by them to be seamlessly incorporated with preconceived grand entranceways, walking corridors, and concourses directly related to and attached from the stadium walkways directly to the hotel tower, and entertainment center buildings. The combined lodging and entertainment complex will include restaurants, themed retail shops, taverns, meeting halls, riverfront amusements, and it will be seamlessly connected as part of the stadium itself with apartment complexes that surround the stadium as Columbus's own version of The Battery. A South Commons Riverfront Entertainment Battery district. The one in Cobb County is joined at the hip with Truist Park Stadium and you can't tell where the entertainment complex ends and the ballpark building begins, (structure-wise), other than the entrance markings because Brasfield & Gorrie seamlessly wove the entertainment center complex together with the stadium as if they were one complex. So my thinking is that when Brasfield & Gorrie redesigns Golden Park in Columbus, they will already have the South Commons Battery entertainment complex design already laid out and prepared to match up with all the walkways and parking decks and restaurant overlooks etc. Brasfield & Gorrie will probably have to design Golden Park and The Battery together as one unified interwoven design that is inseparable and indistinguishable apart. So I have a feeling that Brasfield and Gorrie will also be awarded the South Commons Battery contract just like they were given the Golden Park contract. They go hand in hand. Plus, they are the ones who built the Atlanta Braves complexes in Cobb County such as Truist Park and the Battery Atlanta. So they have a track record of success and design knowledge. One thing I'd like to see differently since ours will be smaller and have less room. I hope they don't make pedestrians walk and walk forever up against large long foreboding blank brick walls with nothing to look at and nothing to interact with like the one at Cobb County. I hope what little space we utilize is given the treatment of having many groundlevel offerings that are easy to get to on foot without needing a car to go from one place to the next and I hope what little space they utilize is laced with lots of ground-level human interaction of shops, eateries, and entertainment activities instead of walking past acres of blank brick walls. If you're walking around the waterfront entertainment center around the ballpark, everything must be accessible on foot and must display ground-level interaction for guests like they do at Myrtle Beach or Pier 39 in San Francisco or like in Gatlinburg. Not just a blank wall that funnels you around the entire stadium like a wind tunnel. It should have, and hopefully have, a waterfront boardwalk entertainment zone type of atmosphere (Like "Bricktown" in Oklahoma City) since that's basically what it is essentially. And currently Columbus has nothing to compete with that's like Savannah's "Plant Riverside District" for convention draws. A South Commons Battery would fulfill that gap.

Last edited by jobshopper; 03-04-2024 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: Corrected spelling and added a thought.

Old 03-05-2024, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 807 times
My only concern is that the current area feels very cramped already. Im curious as to how they will expand the park and add in all these surronding shopping areas, when it seems like there isnt a lot of room to work with.

Between the highway, the river, and the skatepark...its a little boxed in. Im wondering if the skatepark/part of the Civic Center parking lot will be consumed by this construction.
Attached Thumbnails
Mississippi Braves are moving to Columbus Georgia-screenshot_20240305_175038_maps.png   Mississippi Braves are moving to Columbus Georgia-golden_park_hatcher.jpg   Mississippi Braves are moving to Columbus Georgia-aerial-view-chatt.jpg  

Old 03-06-2024, 07:04 AM

85 posts, read 64,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _SJK44 View Post
My only concern is that the current area feels very cramped already. Im curious as to how they will expand the park and add in all these surronding shopping areas, when it seems like there isnt a lot of room to work with.

Between the highway, the river, and the skatepark...its a little boxed in. Im wondering if the skatepark/part of the Civic Center parking lot will be consumed by this construction.
Yes, they announced that the skatepark will be relocated by the developers to another location at South Commons. It’s also planned that alot of the surface parking will be gone to accommodate for further development and some green space. The signed lease with the team includes a possibility of charging for parking so maybe a parking garage will be placed somewhere.

I will attach the lease agreement here.

https://mccmeetingspublic.blob.core....af146c9623.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA