Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move to the springs today?
yes 21 60.00%
no 14 40.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 03:21 PM

334 posts, read 520,024 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm still in the researching info phase of wanting to move out there, I watch a lot of YouTube videos that say it's a great place to live. I've seen comments on those videos from people that live there (as well as comments on here) that say to avoid it.

any thoughts and comments are welcome, thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 05:27 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
I grew up north of Denver, stayed in CS after getting out of the USAF while stationed at NORAD. Worked as a contractor there for 20 years after getting out of the USAF.

This was back in 1985-86 when 4BR/2BA houses in Briargate were going for $65k. There were builders going out of business since no one wanted to buy a house during that "crisis" (banks were going out of business - anyone remember Frank Aries?) and no one wanted to live so far north in this new area called Briargate (!).

Glad I bought a couple of houses back then (primary home and a rental) and needless to say it worked out very well. I love it here and hike or bike every day- you should never be bored in CS. Lots of outdoor activities and you can get into the mountains easily.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:39 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
We lived there 44 years, from May 1977 until Oct 2021. We left to retire in California to be near our kids and grandkids. I only have so many clock cycles left and choose to spend them with my family.

But Colorado Springs is a great place to live. The main impediment for me was windy days. All along the front range we get downslope conditions that result in high winds. Sometimes they become lethal, e.g. 70-100 mph!

One thing I don't miss is the continual battle about taxation and the resultant lagging infrastructure investment. You'll hear lots of complaints about road congestion, especially East-West during rush hours.

As for the religion nuttery, I think it's overblown. They are mostly nice people and when they learn that you are not in their cult they will totally ignore you.

But the air is clean, the tap water is magnificent, and the scenery is wonderful!

So, would I do it again? You bet.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:20 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
YES , I would next paycheck

Old 03-13-2023, 11:30 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
I can't answer yes or no to Colorado Springs, because I moved to Manitou Springs. But would I move to the Pikes Peak region again? Yes. but only over on the west side, OCC and Manitou.

Old 03-15-2023, 08:19 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Yes, in a heartbeat. There are very few downsides. The weather is great, the scenery is unbelievable and the outdoor recreation opportunities are probably unrivaled for a city of this size.

Don't pay attention to YouTube comments. It's mostly whiny 17 year olds who wish they lived in Denver because it's a "real" city. Keep in mind that many internet sites self-select for people who aren't doing much.

Old 03-16-2023, 10:07 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Lived in the Springs twice for about 15 years. It was our dream city and we had originally planned to retire back there. But today, I don't know. Answered Yes, but the poll needs a maybe option. It's kind of grown too big and crowded. With house prices that have exploded out of reach unless you live in one of the dense packed areas. If we were to go back, we'd probably be looking north like Black Forest or even a little further out or more up in the mountains. Close enough where we could get in to shop but far enough out for some breathing room.

One of the things we loved was the outdoor rec lifestyle in the area. So many beautiful parks right close in. Palmer Park right in the middle of the city, but feels like you are in the wilderness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
I grew up north of Denver, stayed in CS after getting out of the USAF while stationed at NORAD. Worked as a contractor there for 20 years after getting out of the USAF.

This was back in 1985-86 when 4BR/2BA houses in Briargate were going for $65k. There were builders going out of business since no one wanted to buy a house during that "crisis" (banks were going out of business - anyone remember Frank Aries?) and no one wanted to live so far north in this new area called Briargate (!).

Glad I bought a couple of houses back then (primary home and a rental) and needless to say it worked out very well. I love it here and hike or bike every day- you should never be bored in CS. Lots of outdoor activities and you can get into the mountains easily.
We lived in Village Seven the first time around in the 80s and then in Briargate in the 90s. Back when Powers was 2 lane and instead of a bridge, just dropped down into the dry creek just outside the Pete west gate.

Last edited by tnff; 03-16-2023 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-16-2023, 09:25 PM

334 posts, read 520,024 times
So far 9/6 in favor of yes, you would move there again.

I appreciate all the comments, keep them coming.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:42 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Absolutely. I've lived here since 1972 & I've seen all the changes, including the massive population boom. I prefer the older neighborhoods over the northeast sprawl. I hike in the mountains everyday. Garden of the Gods is just a few miles from me & I live only blocks from Palmer Park. Five minutes in the car & I can be in a cave (lol I do that a lot) or in a deep forest, yet I'm still inside city limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
We lived in Village Seven the first time around in the 80s and then in Briargate in the 90s. Back when Powers was 2 lane and instead of a bridge, just dropped down into the dry creek just outside the Pete west gate.
I grew up in Village Seven. Remember visiting the construction site when our house was being built in 1972. Dad still lives there on Enchanted Circle. I attended Penrose Elementary in the 70's, & Sabin & Irving Jr Highs & Doherty HS in the 1980's. It was a great neighborhood to grow up in.

Old 03-17-2023, 01:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I can't answer yes or no to Colorado Springs, because I moved to Manitou Springs. But would I move to the Pikes Peak region again?
Yes. but only over on the west side, OCC and Manitou.
Agreed. (North of downtown is ok, too.)

Because of what is happening on the West Coast and then blizzards on the East Coast,
(and hurricanes sometimes) ...I'm so safe and happy here...the main thing for me.
And I have lived in many places for years at a time.
And know one of my favorite places, TX is having so many problems, as is FL ...those would be out to go back to.
I'd move back to KCMO in a minute. Sorry, memories, I digress.
But, even there, does not beat here. Well, I dunno, it was pretty great,
except for the oppressive heat in the summer.

And when I talk to others ---oh my, are my prop taxes CHEAP!....if I paid triple they would still be cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs