Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 09:54 AM

1,707 posts, read 616,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Many believe, myself included, that the plagiarism charge was just a backdoor route to have Pres. Gay removed -- if the other 2 presidents had to go (MIT & Penn), then Gay must go, also. In the academic world, plagiarism is often murky and vague and is a charge easy to throw at most any academically published author and is often/frequently used in a targeted manner.

In addition, several loud-mouth conservatives, including the Harvard alum billionaire whose name escapes me, has been crowing Gay had to go because she represents DEI... as if, somehow, this highly accomplished, well peer-review published woman with a Stanford pedigree, was not qualified to helm the most prestigious university in the land (some say, the world). . . . You can hardly get more racist than that.
Plagiarism is almost always cut and dry and Gay was found to have done it many times. There’s very little gray area. She is not qualified because she is a massive cheater. Her cheating undoes her accomplishments. I guess you are good with people cheating? You think cheaters make good leaders?

What has been exposed in all of this is the utter and disgusting hypocrisy and dishonesty that is now the bedrock of our educational institutions. Cheating is a way of life in universities these days. The left has weakened education to the point I fear for the future. You want a doctor or nurse working on you that spent their academic life cheating? How about the economist managing your accounts? The mechanic working on your car? The excuse for everything, hold no one accountable for their actions the left has forced on all of us is destroying society, our educational institutions included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 10:45 AM

27,597 posts, read 28,700,475 times
Is it racist or is it sexist to call for the resignation of these university presidents?

I was wondering which accusation was going to stick.

Evidently, racism wins every time in this country.

Old 01-05-2024, 03:56 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,114,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What grade do you give your students in a class when they plagiarize? Do you hold them to the code of conduct?
What really is plagiarism? Sure, word-for-word copying fits the definition, but it's rarely this, and should be seriously punishable. But it's usually the alleged copying of non-empirical ideas. Often, it's as much subjective as it is objective.

Old 01-05-2024, 03:57 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,114,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Is it racist or is it sexist to call for the resignation of these university presidents?

I was wondering which accusation was going to stick.

Evidently, racism wins every time in this country.
It's definitely sexist, too; no doubt.

Old 01-05-2024, 04:46 PM

19,821 posts, read 18,116,531 times
Quote:
Many believe, myself included, that the plagiarism charge was just a backdoor route to have Pres. Gay removed -- if the other 2 presidents had to go (MIT & Penn), then Gay must go, also. In the academic world, plagiarism is often murky and vague and is a charge easy to throw at most any academically published author and is often/frequently used in a targeted manner.

In addition, several loud-mouth conservatives, including the Harvard alum billionaire whose name escapes me, has been crowing Gay had to go because she represents DEI... as if, somehow, this highly accomplished, well peer-review published woman with a Stanford pedigree, was not qualified to helm the most prestigious university in the land (some say, the world). . . . You can hardly get more racist than that.
That's utterly absurd. ~45-50 examples of plagiarism unearthed to date. To include several instances in-which Gay lifted lines or paragraphs and changed a few words..........changing a few words proves intent. That's disqualifying not racist.

If conservatives, and liberals like Larry Summers, had gone after Gay but given Magill and Kornbluth as pass you'd have a point. As that's not even close to what happened you don't.

Old 01-05-2024, 05:16 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,076,133 times
Quote:
What really is plagiarism? Sure, word-for-word copying fits the definition, but it's rarely this, and should be seriously punishable. But it's usually the alleged copying of non-empirical ideas. Often, it's as much subjective as it is objective.
I notice you didn't answer the question. Doesn't matter what you or I think plagiarism is, the school code of conduct defines it, and Harvard certainly does. How does your school define it and what is the penalty? Do you enforce code of your school?

Old 01-06-2024, 04:59 AM

27,597 posts, read 28,700,475 times
Something is terribly wrong with our nation’s elite universities if they are producing people with views like those of these three women.

Education is not supposed to be indoctrination.

Old 01-06-2024, 05:11 AM

24,128 posts, read 32,512,221 times
Quote:

Do you recall many conservatives becoming so upset when torch carrying neo-Nazis chanted "Jews Will Not Replace Us" at Charlottesville

I seem to remember a lot of silence. And a president who stated that there were "very fine people on both sides". Very fine Nazis?

Old 01-06-2024, 10:19 AM

19,821 posts, read 18,116,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Do you recall many conservatives becoming so upset when torch carrying neo-Nazis chanted "Jews Will Not Replace Us" at Charlottesville

I seem to remember a lot of silence. And a president who stated that there were "very fine people on both sides". Very fine Nazis?
I dislike Trump roughly as much as you do but the above is weak sauce.

1. Trump's point was there were good people on both sides of the debate about removing a Robert E. Lee statue. Jumping from that to claim or imply that Trump was showing some love to Neo-NAZIs is just absurd.

2. It's become quite clear which side better supports Jews and/or Israel over the last couple of months.

3. Trump also caught flack for claiming Robert E. Lee was a great general. It just an acknowledgment of real history that Lee was a phenomenal strategist and tactician.

Old 01-07-2024, 04:54 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,710,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Were any of those neo-Nazis in a leadership position of the education of our nation’s youth? Were any of them the titular head of an organization that receives federal funds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities