Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 03:32 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,934,965 times

Advertisements

As universities go digital, students are complaining of a new hit to their finances that is replacing — and sometimes joining — expensive textbooks: pricey online access codes that are required to complete coursework and submit assignments.

The codes — which typically range in price from $80 to $155 per course — give students online access to systems developed by education companies like McGraw Hill and Pearson. These companies, which long reaped big profits as textbook publishers, have boasted to investors that their new online offerings, when pushed to students through universities they partner with, represent the future of the industry.

But critics say the digital access codes represent the same price-gouging ethos of the textbook business, and are even harder for students to opt out of. While they could once buy second-hand textbooks, or share copies with friends, the digital systems are essentially impossible to avoid.

"When we talk about access codes we see it as the new face of the textbook monopoly, a new way to lock students around this system," said Ethan Senack, the higher education advocate for the U.S. Public Interest Research Group, to BuzzFeed News.

"Rather than $250 [for a print textbook] you’re paying $120," said Senack. "But because it’s all digital it eliminates the used book market and eliminates any sharing and because homework and tests are through an access code, it eliminates any ability to opt out."

Sarina Harper, a 19-year-old sophomore at Virginia Tech, was faced with a tough dilemma when she first started college in 2015 — pay rent or pay to turn in her chemistry homework.

Harper told BuzzFeed News that her freshman chemistry class required her to use Connect, a system provided by McGraw Hill where students can submit homework, take exams and track their grades. But the code to access the program cost $120 — a big ask for Harper, who had already put down $450 for textbooks, and had rent day approaching.

She decided to wait for her next work study paycheck, which was typically $150 to $200, to pay for the code. She knew that her chemistry grade may take a dive as a result.

"It’s a balancing act," she said. "What do I really right now? Can I really afford these access codes now?" She didn't hand in her first two assignments for chemistry, which started her out in the class with a failing grade.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...des#.dl94vLzxY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 05:10 PM

9,356 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post

... systems developed by education companies like McGraw Hill and Pearson. These companies, which long reaped big profits as textbook publishers, have boasted to investors that their new online offerings ...
I am familiar with both these companies' systems through their grade school programs, in which case access codes are provided by the school and paid for indirectly by tuition.

Either way, these systems leave a lot to be desired, poor grammar, poor presentation of the online programs, and culturally inappropriate, to start with.

Gouging students like you describe with no opt-out option is worse than a crime.

Evil, evil companies.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:24 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Not new at all, was like this over ten years ago as well, though I imagine much more common now.

Yea, you got a used textbook, but got to pay $100+ for the access pass because the class requires the online stuff that comes with the textbook.

I think this is just a scam to bypass the used textbook business.

Old 12-13-2020, 06:25 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,934,965 times
this is legalized extortion

Old 12-13-2020, 08:30 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Not new at all, was like this over ten years ago as well, though I imagine much more common now.

Yea, you got a used textbook, but got to pay $100+ for the access pass because the class requires the online stuff that comes with the textbook.

I think this is just a scam to bypass the used textbook business.
Yep. They've been doing this for some time. We discovered this first year when our daughter bought used textbooks to save money and then found out she needed an access key that cost as much as the next textbook. And to make matters worse, the automatic grading on the program was so shoddy that she lost points due to rounding to a different final digit than the system used.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:07 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
I wish that I could say that I'm surprised by this legalized, yet crooked extortion, but I'm not. This has to be a relatively recent invention to screw students. I don't remember this happening to any of my 3 kids, all of which graduated from college over a decade ago.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:06 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
If you can't afford the textbooks and online materials (and other minor things in life like rent), then you are taking too many classes. Reduce your course load and you are also likely to do better. Not completing your assignments because you can't afford the access code (or textbooks) shows more a sign of acting irresponsibly instead of putting the blame on the content provider. If these tools are required to pass the class, then, then just consider it a cost of obtaining course credit. Granted there are problems with expensive textbooks, quality control on the websites, etc. However, do what's in your control to act responsibly.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:38 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
I feel that the pricing of these online systems should be included in the price of the book. Not in addition to it.

When you purchase a book (which can cost $200), these digital services should be a part of that transaction.

If you buy the book used, I would expect the company to charge a smaller fee (perhaps $100) to have access to the digital service with your used book. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they do not.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:55 AM

272 posts, read 130,747 times
It’s a scam. I graduated from nursing school a few years ago and got to pay those exorbitant prices in addition to expensive tuition.

I think the problem is with the government, specifically student loans. I don’t think I have a solution. The government loans the money and the money is essentially unlimited. Tuition, books, meal plans, housing, parking, all go up in price. If the Department of Education were an independent corporation, it would be the wealthiest company on Earth. People whine and complain about Big Oil, Big Pharma, greedy corporations, but never about Big Education. I understand Harvard University has 30 billion dollars ($30,000,000,000) in reserves, enough money for every American to get a “free” Harvard degree.

What to do though? The government should encourage education and research in all disciplines. Who pays to build the buildings, keep the lights and heat on, mow the lawns, pay professors well enough to want to work as a professor, pay people to clean the buildings, security, Internet access. The list is endless. Do we want all US higher education to be public/“free?” The government does nothing well except break things and kill people via the military. More government doesn’t seem to be the answer, but what to do?

Old 12-15-2020, 09:12 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel23 View Post
It’s a scam. I graduated from nursing school a few years ago and got to pay those exorbitant prices in addition to expensive tuition.

I think the problem is with the government, specifically student loans. I don’t think I have a solution. The government loans the money and the money is essentially unlimited. Tuition, books, meal plans, housing, parking, all go up in price. If the Department of Education were an independent corporation, it would be the wealthiest company on Earth. People whine and complain about Big Oil, Big Pharma, greedy corporations, but never about Big Education. I understand Harvard University has 30 billion dollars ($30,000,000,000) in reserves, enough money for every American to get a “free” Harvard degree.

What to do though? The government should encourage education and research in all disciplines. Who pays to build the buildings, keep the lights and heat on, mow the lawns, pay professors well enough to want to work as a professor, pay people to clean the buildings, security, Internet access. The list is endless. Do we want all US higher education to be public/“free?” The government does nothing well except break things and kill people via the military. More government doesn’t seem to be the answer, but what to do?
I ditto your post with a slight correction. The government doesn't loan the money. They guarantee the loans for the banks that loan the money. It's the banks that are making a killing on these loans, ESPECIALLY since now they can't lose.

I've posted this before and I'll post it again. These students borrowed the money willingly. They owe it and no taxpayer should be expected to bale them out. HOWEVER, these students should not be having to pay near the interest percentage that they are forced to pay.

Back in the late 70's when interest rates for EVERYTHING were through the roof, you could get a federally subsidized student loan for 6%. They're higher than that now. I also got a loan financed through my state for 4%.

Since banks can't lose anything on these loans anymore and they can borrow money from the government for close to 0%, why isn't the government forcing the banks to cut these loan percentages in half at least (Of course the answer on this is donations to the politicians by said banks). Trust me, they would still make the loans. Problem solved.

This whole education issue in my opinion has turned corrupt and this internet access ploy is just the latest big money scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities