Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 04:37 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times

Advertisements

Based on the 10-day forecast looks like shorts and flip flops may be on the agenda, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 07:31 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Based on the 10-day forecast looks like shorts and flip flops may be on the agenda, lol
Then beware of a blizzard on the 11th day, In a classic Chicago winter you go from warm to snow. Classic Chicago blizzard calls for a Oklahoma Hooker. All it takes is the right snow track to bring the blizzard into Chicago instead of another north area. Watch water vapor from the Gulf turn into thundersnow in the North. If you get heavy wet snow beware if it becomes heart attack snow. Be very careful if you try to shovel it.

Also beware of wind conditions that can turn a foot into 3 foot drifts. Under these conditions may take some heavy equipment to dig the city out. The garbage truck plows become too light. May take a day or 2 to go from main streets to residential to alley areas. In the meantime garbage piles up if crews can't make their normal pickup.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:56 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
Weird Winter! and it looks like we're pretty much done. Today is mostly sunny with a high of 60. The extended forecast shows no snow and by March 1st, the average high is 40+. I know we can get blasted in March/April, but so far so good, with the exception of 2 weeks of cold and snow in January.

https://www.wunderground.com/calenda...algonquin/KORD

Old 02-08-2024, 06:52 PM

52 posts, read 24,212 times
Quote:
Weird Winter! and it looks like we're pretty much done. Today is mostly sunny with a high of 60. The extended forecast shows no snow and by March 1st, the average high is 40+. I know we can get blasted in March/April, but so far so good, with the exception of 2 weeks of cold and snow in January.

Winters are getting milder and milder. Last year was mild, this year was extremely warm. Wouldnt be surprised if next winter is mild as well. Global warming has it's benefits. I'm just worried about our summers.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,204,217 times
How do you deal with winters in Chicago? ??? I left. As quickly as I could and as far away as possible to the northwoods No regrets

Old 02-08-2024, 07:13 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times
Quote:

We've had pretty similar weather to winter 2017, although in that year it was pretty mild by mid-January and all of February, and then it was in the 20s around March 10th or so.

Hopefully it can stay mild with limited snow this year.

Old 02-09-2024, 07:24 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Yeah, December was like fall.

January had an 8-10 day arctic blast that was legit bitter - like 0-10 degrees with below zero windchill

But the rest of January was like 25-40 degrees, normal or above normal.

February, which is considered by most people I know to be the worst month of the year, has been a joke so far. Literally feels like spring. It does look like it gets colder next weekend 16-18th - but still in the upper 20s to mid 30s, which I would consider to be pretty easy to handle.

Any week in January for February where the temps stay above 30, I feel like we're skipping winter. And by mid-March, the odds of getting below that are more slim.

I honestly feel like that 8-10 day blast was our entire winter so far.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecas.../chicago/60622

Old 02-09-2024, 09:48 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
The level of warming temperatures in the winter is absolutely absurd. Nothing good will come from it at all, just more invasive species, pests, bugs, and constant extremes in the weather.

Old 02-09-2024, 10:22 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Right, the only good thing is how it feels. There are a lot of bad ramifications, for sure.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:39 AM

482 posts, read 885,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Of course I understand the need for more safety on the L, I also don't know what the answer is. I don't believe that it's an anonymous texting service. Even if they had one, it would be no different than texting 911, which you can do today. The police still won't arrive in time to resolve any issues. At best they might have an officer at the next station who can assist.

The only remaining idea I have is to have an armed guard on every train, similar to what we do on planes. Then maybe install a panic button in the train that when pulled sounds an alarm and stops a train at the nearest station.
As a frequent visitor over the past 23 years and my love for the city, calling it my other home; I noticed a few weeks ago that the L experience seems to be worse each time.

I always use the CTA--L and buses to get around and almost always take it to and from the airport. This past trip, I paid $40 to Uber back to the airport. I just didn't feel like dealing with dragging my luggage through urine and filth again, on a cool, quiet Sunday morning and having to deal with unsavory characters, since the overall rider level of normalcy would be low at that time. The previous time, the train was so late that we had to Uber to the airport. Short staffing, as noted, and the lack of enforcement of rules has made it an unpleasant experience. I always keep my head on a swivel and avoid being the only person on the platform, but it's to the point where the seedy to normal people ratio is about even. Normally, I love the L, but as of lately, it's been a nuisance. I feel 100% safe on a bus, but then routes change or they're not running, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago