Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:08 PM

96 posts, read 134,960 times

Advertisements

Just a quick update regarding our relocation:

We sold our home here in Jax, probably in record time - 6 hours! It's a good thing we had a plan.

We'll be renting an apartment in Waynesboro while we explore the general area, focusing on the area within about 20 miles of Staunton. Having access to the train, the cultural attractions in and around town and the church of our choice remain our focus. But our most recent trip - late September - showed us our target area could be a bit larger than we had originally thought.

I'll be blogging about our transition on www.southernredeux.com

Thanks to everyone here for their insights and help in our decision making!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 09:03 AM

9 posts, read 20,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I agree with this. Don't see why folks need to see what political beliefs their possible neighbors may have. While I knew the area we moved to was heavy on the conservative we still would have moved here if it leaned the opposite way. We moved here for the beauty of the area.
Try being in your 60s/70s, gay and been in a relationship for 40 years this June. Then tell me "why folks need to see what political beliefs their possible neighbors may have." We've had to deal with being second-class citizens all our lives; we live in Asheville NC and are looking to get out. Not due to the politics of the people "on the island" but because of the 12 new hotels in 8 years, three more on the way, the increase in pollution and traffic ... the infrastructure cannot handle 12 MILLION visitors a year. Not a typo. We came here in 2005 when the downtown still had character. We really don't go down there anymore except if we have visitors, then we gawk at all the new cookie cutter moderne wood/stick build condos offering 900sf for $350K.

If you're looking to go to south Asheville, I suggest Brevard. A very nice quiet town about 40 mins from the 30+ breweries (no lie) in Ashevul now. There is a famous summer music festival (sort of Tanglewood south) and property isn't bad.

A straight older couple will do just fine. It is very progressive actually and if my husband wasn't so adamant about getting "out of the south" I'd consider it. I'd actually consider looking at VA, which of course is the heart of Dixie, but it's close to civilization and trains. Charlottesville would probably make me as crazy as Asheville, but property taxes are much, much lower and it is a college town. Asheville is very progressive (even after the Republican legislature hacked it in two, gerrymandering it into two districts (and we're in the one that is "represented" by Mark Meadows, one of the major batcr!pcrazies in this administration) and basically sealing the fate to be "represented" by climate deniers for years to come ... but it is a good 2 hrs drive away from everywhere. We had an excellent hospital for 165 years until it was recently taken over by HCA (you know, the FL Governor Scott's buddies who ransacked Medicare); it is a monolithic healthcare system, the largest employer, and they still give excellent care. But, from the moment you are admitted with your barcode on your wrist, you are the cash cow.

Good luck in your search. My partner actually wants to move TO the NE because of politics. But the cost of living (and the weather for me) is a big consideration. I'm not averse to snow, just don't really care to be cold thru May. And as a native Floridian, having seen what has happened to that state - politically and environmentally - I would NEVER consider that again. Besides, you need to live inland due to the fake climate change and fake hurricanes (and even then, you're still in their path) and most of the coast will be underwater before you know it.

Yes, I consider "the political beliefs my possible neighbors may have." :-)

Old 06-11-2019, 07:25 AM

114 posts, read 128,192 times
Why doesn't anyone recommend Richmond to her? I'm curious, isn't it a nice area for her case? also more affordable

Old 09-05-2019, 08:08 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,358 times
Personally, I get why someone would want to live in a progressive area. I wouldn’t want to live in a community that is racist, anti-immigrant or homophobic. Charlottesville is also beautiful and offers culture found in any university town.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:12 AM

257 posts, read 223,030 times
Ah the phony virtue signalling found in "progressive" areas. They care so much about poor people that they want to raise the minimum wage and keep them unemployed. The biggest anti-immigrant enforcer is the labor unions!

Don't come to Richmond or surrounding area with that leftist bias, please.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:26 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,058,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenjake View Post
My wife and I are ready to retire to a warmer climate than the northeast. We assume Charlottesville is progressive and liberal but we don't know about surrounding areas. We are both in our mid-60's and healthy so while not ready for a senior community, the house should be one level and move in condition.

With that said, we are not stuck on Charlottesville but the community does need to be progressive.

Thanks
Eileen
Where did you end up Eileenjake?? (if you see this )

Old 09-06-2019, 04:38 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
Ah the phony virtue signalling found in "progressive" areas. They care so much about poor people that they want to raise the minimum wage and keep them unemployed. The biggest anti-immigrant enforcer is the labor unions!

Don't come to Richmond or surrounding area with that leftist bias, please.
Get out of Richmond with your regressive attitude. “Virtue signaling” is is just another dog whistle. Keep that nonsense in the exurbs.

Old 09-07-2019, 01:38 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,238,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Personally, I get why someone would want to live in a progressive area. I wouldn’t want to live in a community that is racist, anti-immigrant or homophobic. Charlottesville is also beautiful and offers culture found in any university town.

Please tell me which "community" is all that. Could there be someone in my area of the valley that is racist and so on? I'm sure there is but in my 4 years living here I've yet to meet one. Let me know if you know of a progressive area that does not have any racist, anti-immigrant or homophobic folks living there. What a goofy post.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:04 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,968,809 times
Ask them in Montgomery County how being a progressive place is working out. Illegals are a far cry from simply immigrants. The Left are always talking about Singapore education.. Try entering Singapore illegally.. you will literally get an ass whipping.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:48 AM

407 posts, read 966,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Ask them in Montgomery County how being a progressive place is working out. Illegals are a far cry from simply immigrants. The Left are always talking about Singapore education.. Try entering Singapore illegally.. you will literally get an ass whipping.
....with a cane!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville