Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 10:33 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Wegmans is coming to Charlotte.

Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. and Northwood Investors LLC announced plans for the Ballantyne campus supermarket on Monday. The company targets an opening date by the third quarter of 2026.

“Four years after opening our first store in North Carolina, we’re excited to announce that Wegmans is coming to Charlotte,” said Dan Aken, vice president of real estate and store planning. “We’ve received hundreds of requests from locals asking for a store in their area, and we’ve spent years looking for exactly the right location. We’re thrilled to bring the Wegmans experience to this community.”

https://www.wbtv.com/2024/04/15/wegm...eF3y-r3WbH-B9U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 11:41 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
I love Wegman's but hate that it will be in Ballantyne. I hope it comes to North Charlotte soon!

Old 04-15-2024, 02:24 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
At long last, the speculation is realized. After first entering NC in the Triangle, Wegmans is making the move to Charlotte. I know many transplants from the Mid Atlantic and Northeast corridor will welcome this news, especially those Upstate New Yorkers. Even attracting interest here in Upstate SC, where Harris Teeter is expanding.

Old 04-15-2024, 02:27 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I love Wegman's but hate that it will be in Ballantyne. I hope it comes to North Charlotte soon!
Once they are established, I would think they will eventually add more stores, such as in the Triangle. They have reportedly scouted several locations around Charlotte in recent years.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:30 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
I know people here in Charlotte who make the trip to the Triangle for this store. They were "tailgating" for the first store in Raleigh when it opened. They were excited when the store in Chapel Hill opened because it was "shorter commute". At one point they were hoping Greensboro would get a store for even less commute. I imagine upon hearing this news they are contacting the company for an exact date so they can create a countdown calendar or something.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:48 AM

570 posts, read 546,585 times
I am sure New Yorkers are thrilled to get one of their state grocers here. What is so great about another grocery store? I'm not a stranger to New York or the northeast, I just don't see the big deal. I wish someone would give me a heads up about what is special. I'm serious. I see no shortage in food markets as it is. I know that Wegmans is rated nationally behind Lidl, Aldi, Publics, Fresh Market and just ahead of Trader Joe's. That tells me that it isn't that great? Enlighten me if you will.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:53 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
This is great to hear that they are expanding into the south! And into the Charlotte area.

NYC just got its first store earlier this year, and a 2nd one is coming soon. Brooklyn has had one for several years now, and we go often.

Wegman's has such high quality, and the experience is like Whole Foods before Amazon bought them.

Love to see them expanding!

Old 04-16-2024, 07:15 AM

570 posts, read 546,585 times
I wish someone would give me a heads up about what is special about Wegman's. I'm serious. I see no shortage in food markets as it is. I know that Wegmans is rated nationally behind Lidl, Aldi, Publics, Fresh Market and just ahead of Trader Joe's. That tells me that it isn't great Enlighten me if you will, i.e., do they specialize in something not available in other stores?

Old 04-16-2024, 07:29 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
I am sure New Yorkers are thrilled to get one of their state grocers here. What is so great about another grocery store? I'm not a stranger to New York or the northeast, I just don't see the big deal. I wish someone would give me a heads up about what is special. I'm serious. I see no shortage in food markets as it is. I know that Wegmans is rated nationally behind Lidl, Aldi, Publics, Fresh Market and just ahead of Trader Joe's. That tells me that it isn't that great? Enlighten me if you will.
I live across the street from a Publix and a HT in Raleigh and about 15-20 minutes from Wegmans depending on traffic. I stop into Publix or HT more often for a few things when needed.... but for "grocery shopping"... Wegmans is far superior. Much bigger selection and higher quality and they pretty much have everything I need. (My office is also near the Raleigh Wegmans and many of my clients are near the Chapel Hill store too so I'll often time shopping trips around that).

People rave about their prepared food and I can honestly take or leave that; it's fine but nothing special. A decent lunch to have so you aren't grocery shopping on an empty stomach. The bakery on the other hand.... that place is dangerous haha

Old 04-16-2024, 08:55 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Wegmans certainly has become a status symbol, a feather in the cap for Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern cities. The grand openings in the Triangle have set company records, with throngs of people in attendance. The presence of the grocer made many locals feel like “we've arrived.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte