Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 09:29 AM

6,007 posts, read 2,832,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I live across the street from a Publix and a HT in Raleigh and about 15-20 minutes from Wegmans depending on traffic. I stop into Publix or HT more often for a few things when needed.... but for "grocery shopping"... Wegmans is far superior. Much bigger selection and higher quality and they pretty much have everything I need. (My office is also near the Raleigh Wegmans and many of my clients are near the Chapel Hill store too so I'll often time shopping trips around that).

People rave about their prepared food and I can honestly take or leave that; it's fine but nothing special. A decent lunch to have so you aren't grocery shopping on an empty stomach. The bakery on the other hand.... that place is dangerous haha
It depends on the food. Some of it is alright. Some of it is really great, though. I haven't had anything that was bad, but I have had things that I wouldn't purchase again.

I no longer shop at any other grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 10:24 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
I am sure New Yorkers are thrilled to get one of their state grocers here. What is so great about another grocery store? I'm not a stranger to New York or the northeast, I just don't see the big deal. I wish someone would give me a heads up about what is special. I'm serious. I see no shortage in food markets as it is. I know that Wegmans is rated nationally behind Lidl, Aldi, Publics, Fresh Market and just ahead of Trader Joe's. That tells me that it isn't that great? Enlighten me if you will.
Because if it exists, they basically have it. The prepared food section gets a lot of hype, though I'm not that familiar with it. Basically, take Publix but make it Wal-Mart sized. The variety of options there is just insane based on the one time I did go (when I was living temporarily outside of Philly). It's also a clean place to shop vs Wal-Marts or Food Lions which can sometimes be pretty dicey.

We wanted to go more often, but we found the Wegman's pretty late in our time up there and time was limited on the daily as well so driving 20 minutes each way to a grocery store that would take a minimum of 90 minutes to shop wasn't something we could practically do. If one were to be built within 20 minutes of me now though, it would probably be a monthly-ish stop.

Old 04-16-2024, 04:30 PM

377 posts, read 203,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
I wish someone would give me a heads up about what is special about Wegman's. I'm serious. I see no shortage in food markets as it is. I know that Wegmans is rated nationally behind Lidl, Aldi, Publics, Fresh Market and just ahead of Trader Joe's. That tells me that it isn't great Enlighten me if you will, i.e., do they specialize in something not available in other stores?
Remember all of the frenzy when Publix first came to NC? Publix is ok but nothing special.

The Wegmans near me is huge, and they have a wide variety to choose from versus the other local stores. The meat section is amazing. The prepared food sections are far superior to the other stores because they offer so much. You have to see a Wegmans to understand why people love it.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:06 PM

8,477 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Yeah, I live in the heart of wegmans country. I don’t get it either. The bakery is good and so are the prepared foods, but…is that what I go to a grocery store for? Not really. It doesn’t justify the inflated prices.

Grocery stores are more alike than different, which is why I wouldn’t line up to go to one and generally shop where stuff is cheap.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
I go to the grocery store for prepared foods and the bakery. The growing number of Americans who do not cook select grocers based on the selection and quality of prepared food. I love International cuisines, so Wegmans is a dream come true for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte