Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 01:39 PM

146 posts, read 166,171 times

Advertisements

American is literally slot squatting on many slots in JFK. They are starting 4 times daily JFK-Richmond just to use slots. They are flush with slots at both JFK and LaGuardia. Charleston officials need to be all over that. Delta even has a larger hub operation at
both NYC airports. Both carriers should be approached and enticed to start service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 01:51 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
American is literally slot squatting on many slots in JFK. They are starting 4 times daily JFK-Richmond just to use slots. They are flush with slots at both JFK and LaGuardia. Charleston officials need to be all over that. Delta even has a larger hub operation at
both NYC airports. Both carriers should be approached and enticed to start service.
Agreed. They need NYC flights again. There is no way that Roanoke and Charlottesville can somehow support a daily flight to LGA but Charleston can't- then again Roanoke doesn't have DCA service (they have Dulles). The last LGA flights at Yeager didn't work well primarily because of the poor departure/ return timing- if they worked on that I am sure it could do well.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:23 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
When I lived in Charleston I felt the worst thing was that there was no Southwest Airlines at Yeager Airport. I would drive to Columbus to fly Southwest and save $600. I've only flown through Yeager Airport after I left West Virginia and returned to Louisiana and took a trip to Charleston to visit friends, I had a free plane ticket with United Airlines that I used but flying from Baton Rouge to Charleston I had to connect through Houston on the way up and through Washington DC Dulles on the way back. Baton Rouge is another place without Southwest so more than half of people here would rather drive 1.5 hours to New Orleans to fly Southwest than use the Baton Rouge airport which is only served by the legacy carriers.

Most of my friends in the Charleston/Sissonville area also drove out of state for airports including Columbus, Cincinnati and even Charlotte (for direct international flights to Europe or Latin America.)

Old 03-25-2021, 10:52 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Here's some updates about what's going on at Yeager.

First off, the airport has been throwing around the possibility of having a new name. The name has not been announced yet, but the name "Yeager" would remain, with a geographic title attached to the front end (Charleston or West Virginia). In addition to that, the designation as an "international" airport will be given with the completion of a new US Customs building. There is no commercial flights that are international at Yeager, but the airport does see a lot of executive and private international travel already. The airport believes that this rebranding will help in marketing the airport to future businesses, airlines, and travelers. The name change is off the table for now, but could resurface.
https://www.wsaz.com/2021/03/11/yeag...ange-its-name/

Delta is upgrading their planes that fly into Charleston to a newer and bigger model CRJ-900s. These aren't huge planes. but it is nice to know that the service to Atlanta is healthy enough to support the move to a slightly bigger plane.
https://www.wowktv.com/news/west-vir...eager-airport/

Marshall's school of Aviation is well underway. I can see the hanger from Greenbrier Street while passing Capital High School.

Lastly, the airport may be getting new mixed use hangers that have suites attached for business meetings.
https://wvmetronews.com/2021/03/24/y...and-use-study/

Old 03-30-2021, 08:03 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,417 times
I hope the name change works out for them if they choose to go down that path, but I think most airlines and businesses are smart enough to look beyond the branding of "international" and actually crunch the numbers.

Also, I doubt most travelers even notice the name of the airport, as the booking services and airlines simply refer to it as "Charleston" or "Charleston WV".

Old 03-31-2021, 03:28 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Here's some updates about what's going on at Yeager.

First off, the airport has been throwing around the possibility of having a new name. The name has not been announced yet, but the name "Yeager" would remain, with a geographic title attached to the front end (Charleston or West Virginia). In addition to that, the designation as an "international" airport will be given with the completion of a new US Customs building. There is no commercial flights that are international at Yeager, but the airport does see a lot of executive and private international travel already. The airport believes that this rebranding will help in marketing the airport to future businesses, airlines, and travelers. The name change is off the table for now, but could resurface.
https://www.wsaz.com/2021/03/11/yeag...ange-its-name/

Delta is upgrading their planes that fly into Charleston to a newer and bigger model CRJ-900s. These aren't huge planes. but it is nice to know that the service to Atlanta is healthy enough to support the move to a slightly bigger plane.
https://www.wowktv.com/news/west-vir...eager-airport/

Marshall's school of Aviation is well underway. I can see the hanger from Greenbrier Street while passing Capital High School.

Lastly, the airport may be getting new mixed use hangers that have suites attached for business meetings.
https://wvmetronews.com/2021/03/24/y...and-use-study/
Delta at one point (pre-COVID) operated one daily 737 to/ from Atlanta. It was the last flight in from ATL at night and the first one out in the morning. Not sure if still available but it was a thing. The flights to/ from DCA were reduced to I think one daily as of now but they are on a larger plane that has first class and coach seating. I know because I got 'upgraded' to first during a recent trip back to Charleston to assist my parents after one of them had a major surgery. I'll take the one a day versus those god awful prop planes they used to run three or more times a day, even if it is only a 35 - 40 minute flight.

I hadn't heard they were changing the name- that is interesting. Not sure why they would call it 'International' when it is devoid of international flights but there is probably some random criteria that would allow for it. They should just call it what all the pilots and flight attendants call it- 'Charley West.' They call the Charleston, SC airport 'Charley South.'

Old 07-29-2021, 05:03 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Well it’s official! Yeager Airport is changing its name to “West Virginia International Airport”. All I can say is, they better do one heck of a tribute to Chuck Yeager somewhere at the airport and in the city.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/k...4a107129b.html

Old 07-29-2021, 06:57 AM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Well it’s official! Yeager Airport is changing its name to “West Virginia International Airport”. All I can say is, they better do one heck of a tribute to Chuck Yeager somewhere at the airport and in the city.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/k...4a107129b.html
They didn't do away with Yeager's name.

According to the airport’s public affairs manager, Chris Williams, the airport will be called “West Virginia International Yeager Airport” starting January 1, 2022.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/yeager-a...-name-in-2022/

Seems kind of silly to me. There aren't going to be any international flights to or from that airport. They were already an "international airport" in the sense that freight could be brought in from international locations.

I suppose they could handle customs for charter flights to Bermuda or the Bahamas, but otherwise, it seems basically worthless.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:28 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
They didn't do away with Yeager's name.

According to the airport’s public affairs manager, Chris Williams, the airport will be called “West Virginia International Yeager Airport” starting January 1, 2022.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/yeager-a...-name-in-2022/

Seems kind of silly to me. There aren't going to be any international flights to or from that airport. They were already an "international airport" in the sense that freight could be brought in from international locations.

I suppose they could handle customs for charter flights to Bermuda or the Bahamas, but otherwise, it seems basically worthless.
It is a "status symbol".. It makes them feel bigger.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:19 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Delta at one point (pre-COVID) operated one daily 737 to/ from Atlanta.
I used to fly to Charleston on business in the early 1990s. Back then, USAir used DC-9 jets on the route to Pittsburgh. Not very big planes, but they were mainline jets, not small prop planes. I haven't flown to CRW in many years, so I don't know who goes there or what they use now.

And, now I just looked it up. Pretty limited service. I see that American offers service to Philadelphia. I wish they had done that back in the early 1990s, so I could have gotten direct service (that's where I lived back then) instead of having to change planes in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Kind of presumptuous to claim the name of the entire state, given that there are several other commercial airports in West Virginia. Though, maybe the fact that CRW handles more passengers than the rest of them put together has something to do with it. I would have preferred "Charleston International Airport," but then again, we already have one of those, down in South Carolina. So maybe WVIYA is suitable after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston