Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,757 times

Advertisements

I've been with AAA for decades; and never had an issue with them until now. As a result of having 2 points added to my record within a 3 year period - they doubled my rates (from $900/year to $1800/year).

Both incidents were so minor that I did not expect this at all. Are their any Insurance out there that might take these things into consideration.

I live in San Francisco and I am a senior....I can't really afford the raise in premiums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 05:55 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I don't have points but presumably if you received points they maybe weren't so minor?

Old 08-02-2023, 08:33 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudijane View Post
I've been with AAA for decades; and never had an issue with them until now. As a result of having 2 points added to my record within a 3 year period - they doubled my rates (from $900/year to $1800/year).

Both incidents were so minor that I did not expect this at all. Are their any Insurance out there that might take these things into consideration.

I live in San Francisco and I am a senior....I can't really afford the raise in premiums.
If you have an otherwise clean driving record sometimes a lawyer can help out. Lawyers can sometimes speak to the prosecutor in a traffic case and arrange something other than a guilty plea to a traffic offense that puts points on your record. Of course, seeing a lawyer will cost money. However, an increase in your car insurance rates of $900 per year could make that a realistic option for you. Its something I wish more people would consider before just going in and paying the fine.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:49 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Shop around. Nothing says you have to stay with them. You can always get rid of the car if you can't afford it. You live in an area with a robust public transpiration system.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:04 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Every insurance company is going to be raising rates if they haven’t already.
I had aaa for many years and finally realized there was no loyalty and saved a lot of money shopping around.

Old 08-02-2023, 02:31 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
I'll tell you what my insurance broker told me:

License points means nothing because not all states assign point to a license and not all states assign the same number of point for the same violation. So points are more of a DMV thing, not insurance.

Insurance companies look at your driver's records. A 2 point violation in one state may be considered more serious than a 3 point violation from another state. So, what you did is more important than the driver's license points your state (if they even use points) assigned to that violation. Care to share the "so minor" infraction?

Old 08-02-2023, 09:42 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:

Insurance companies don't care that you've been a customer for decades. It's the recent experience that counts. Typically 3 years for most moving violations and accidents, 5 years for drunk and reckless driving.

If you had two speeding tickets in the past year the increase is no surprise. Did the tickets also include an accident? Even the smallest payout could result in a large surcharge.

Quote:
[b]Both incidents were so minor that I did not expect this at all. Are their any Insurance out there that might take these things into consideration.
No. A violation is a violation. You might save a few bucks with a company with lower base rates but you'll still be surcharged.

Quote:

Then shop around and see if you can find a little relief. Won't be much though. It'll be at least 3 years before you get competitive rates with no surcharge.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:18 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Mine went up from $739 to 1023 smackers for 6 months in FL.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:52 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Mine went up from $739 to 1023 smackers for 6 months in FL.
Count your blessings if that includes comprehensive and collision.

Old 08-08-2023, 02:33 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
I've been with AAA for decades...
There's part of your issue. I used to also be with AAA for decades - stupid me. I finally figured out that they had been charging me top dollar for decreasing value for years. Less quality customer service, less oversight on the collision shops they supposedly "approved", they even changed my policy terms during the yearly auto-renewal, changed the deductible on my comprehensive insurance from $50 to $500 without me requesting it. When I finally kicked AAA to the curb, I went with another auto insurer who cost me about half of what I had been paying.

Shop around every year or so, let capitalism work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance