Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 11:15 AM

239 posts, read 106,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Thousands of oil workers have lived through many WY, ND, SD, CO winters in their RV's (as have I).

Many newbies have a lot to learn.

Good luck with that, OP seems to be quite a keen and receptive learner.
Thank you StealthRabbit

Mod cut.

Anyhow, hope you have a great weekend

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-01-2024 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Reference to posts which have been deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have only traveled for a month at a time in our motorhome and not lived in it full time. However, I now understand why people seek out warm weather during the winter because they are difficult to keep warm enough. So that would be my concern.
Good point. We will only live where it's sunny most of the year so that shouldn't be an issue

Old 03-01-2024, 12:19 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (reply to post which has been deleted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
Our RV is pretty large, not sure how many feet it is. Yes we will check that, thank you. As stated, 5 months ago we sold an off-grid home we had built on property in an off-grid town. Thanks for your response
Maybe some don't know what "off grid" means? You have asked the questions that you are interested in, and I'm guessing if you need other info, you'll ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have only traveled for a month at a time in our motorhome and not lived in it full time. However, I now understand why people seek out warm weather during the winter because they are difficult to keep warm enough. So that would be my concern.
It depends on the RV actually. We have had everything from a pop-up camper to a Class C, and yes the motorhomes are harder to keep warm and cool, than trailers with trailers differing a LOT. We have lived in a travel trailer and had snow and ice storms in Central KS. Propane furnace and electric heater kept up toasty. The only issue we had was ice freezing the door, but a hair dryer took care of that. We saw single digit nights.

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

She said they had an off-grid home, and also that she watched youtube channels of people off grid. Water and sewer are always a topic, and most people get this.

Those in AZ that I have followed all worked closely with the counties to make sure they got it right. The county will cover everything needed, and most counties have the information online, so that someone can review it and ask questions if needed.

I mentioned a youtube channel, and both Truckee Tami and I watch it. For those that might want to better understand what off grid is, and the possibilities, this is that person's blog:

https://frugaloffgrid.com/blogs/frugal-off-grid-blog

Truckee Tami: I didn't want to high jack your thread, but hope to "educate" those that are confused about what you are asking, and also the possibilities. This has to be exciting for you!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-01-2024 at 02:38 PM..

Old 03-01-2024, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
As in many areas of the CD forum, people just ask what they need to know, and not questions for which they already have an answer. You might want to watch some youtube videos about living off grid to get an idea of what she is talking about.

Maybe some don't know what "off grid" means? You have asked the questions that you are interested in, and I'm guessing if you need other info, you'll ask.

It depends on the RV actually. We have had everything from a pop-up camper to a Class C, and yes the motorhomes are harder to keep warm and cool, than trailers with trailers differing a LOT. We have lived in a travel trailer and had snow and ice storms in Central KS. Propane furnace and electric heater kept up toasty. The only issue we had was ice freezing the door, but a hair dryer took care of that. We saw single digit nights.

She said they had an off-grid home, and also that she watched youtube channels of people off grid. Water and sewer are always a topic, and most people get this.

Those in AZ that I have followed all worked closely with the counties to make sure they got it right. The county will cover everything needed, and most counties have the information online, so that someone can review it and ask questions if needed.

I mentioned a youtube channel, and both Truckee Tami and I watch it. For those that might want to better understand what off grid is, and the possibilities, this is that person's blog:

https://frugaloffgrid.com/blogs/frugal-off-grid-blog

Truckee Tami: I didn't want to high jack your thread, but hope to "educate" those that are confused about what you are asking, and also the possibilities. This has to be exciting for you!
You certainly didn't hijack my thread, far from it. Thanks for the thoughtful response and good info. I really appreciate you and StealtRabbits info, he has a fantastic co-op set up going on. He's really the expert here

We've decided on an area. It's warm yet a forest enviornment so hubby shouldn't have breathing issues. Near the health food store yet still fairly close to good cycling

Old 03-01-2024, 02:35 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
For winter, we made window liners with Reflectix and also liners for the back of the cupboards and cabinets, which is also beneficial in the summer heat.

Old 03-01-2024, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
For winter, we made window liners with Reflectix and also liners for the back of the cupboards and cabinets, which is also beneficial in the summer heat.
Great idea Keep the drafts out

Old 03-07-2024, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 210 times
Check out the state and particularly the county rules for full time rvs on your want to land. There may be a hefty permit fee, and a requirement to have septic installed.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:02 PM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, the composting toilet still creates waste. Waste full of human fecal bacteria. What do they propose to do with it? Less waste is good, but you've still got to do something.
What about an incinerating toilet? Don't they just end up with sterile ash as waste? Of course, they have to be powered, so that is another electrical draw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing