Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 01:34 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

People live in RVs on their own land all the time. Just check to be certain the land you buy does not have any restrictions such as an HOA or classified as recreational or ...

A composting toilet would solve some of the concerns, and if you are careful about what washing products you use, you can use gray water to water ornamental plants.

The only thing about living in an RV is that it is cramped. A single wide would offer more space, and comfy living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 02:18 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
People live in RVs on their own land all the time. Just check to be certain the land you buy does not have any restrictions such as an HOA or classified as recreational or ...

A composting toilet would solve some of the concerns, and if you are careful about what washing products you use, you can use gray water to water ornamental plants.

The only thing about living in an RV is that it is cramped. A single wide would offer more space, and comfy living.
Well, the composting toilet still creates waste. Waste full of human fecal bacteria. What do they propose to do with it? Less waste is good, but you've still got to do something.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-01-2024 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Rude comments; personal attacks.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Open spring sourced water + sewage disposal is a lethal combination.

Get it right, as it is likely regulated.

I have take the Septic Installer course is (3) different climates / terrain / weather / soil areas. It's a pretty good education, but many jurisdictions will no longer allow 'self-installs'. +/-

Our particular home region (National Scenic Area + Salmon watershed) is very restrictive to living in RV, and they monitor us daily with drones. Won't be happening in our neighborhood.

But... elsewhere, we have known many to live in their RV's for 20+ yrs while building their homes. Sometimes they die before completing their home. Sometimes the RV gets replaced 3-4x during the LONG building process.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM

239 posts, read 106,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Our RV is pretty large, not sure how many feet it is. Yes we will check that, thank you. As stated, 5 months ago we sold an off-grid home we had built on property in an off-grid town. Thanks for your response

Last edited by TruckeeTami; 02-28-2024 at 04:42 PM..

Old 02-28-2024, 04:39 PM

Just a little reminder, here are my three questions:

Does anyone currently do this? Can I ask what state and what part of the state? Do you have neighbors nearby? thank you

Old 02-28-2024, 05:44 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Not currently a fulltimer, but we were for 8 years and did what you are inquiring about for several years while rehabbing our winter home in Yuma. We bought the home and I installed power, water and sewer hookups for 2 RV's, ours and a rental spot. We were out in the country, nearest neighbor was 1/4 mile distant. Yuma and AZ in general are very tolerant of the RV lifestyle, most localities are not. In the summer we would travel to the cooler PNW.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Not currently a fulltimer, but we were for 8 years and did what you are inquiring about for several years while rehabbing our winter home in Yuma. We bought the home and I installed power, water and sewer hookups for 2 RV's, ours and a rental spot. We were out in the country, nearest neighbor was 1/4 mile distant. Yuma and AZ in general are very tolerant of the RV lifestyle, most localities are not. In the summer we would travel to the cooler PNW.
That sounds fantastic. I've also noticed many of the youtubers who are off grid in RV's live in Arizona.
We plan to have hoop houses to grow food, an outdoor kitchen, & a greenhouse. Possibly build a home after.a while or buy a house with our son and just go to this property part time. I have the County pdf codes. They are pretty generous about the size of the greenhouse which is great. Otherwise, most buildings must be 200 feet or less otherwise you have to call them out and pay them by the hour and pay for the permit. The overhang can be up to 4 feet on that 200 square feet.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:41 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I have only traveled for a month at a time in our motorhome and not lived in it full time. However, I now understand why people seek out warm weather during the winter because they are difficult to keep warm enough. So that would be my concern.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:39 AM

Thousands of oil workers have lived through many WY, ND, SD, CO winters in their RV's (as have I).

Many newbies have a lot to learn.

Good luck with that, OP seems to be quite a keen and receptive learner.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Not currently a fulltimer, but we were for 8 years and did what you are inquiring about

We bought the home and I installed power, water and sewer hookups for 2 RV's, ours and a rental spot. We were out in the country, nearest neighbor was 1/4 mile distant. ... In the summer we would travel to the cooler PNW.
Thus each of our rural properties in various states have:
1) A home or a barndo that is rented to FT inhabitants (usually retired military, they make good, and responsible watchmen)
2) A shop with Laundry, kitchen, community space, and (2) covered areas for RV's with hookups (Power, water, sewer)
3) Extra private entrance for RV'rs and tenants / guests.
4) All are on paved roads < 5 miles to full service town and < 1 hr to international airport
5) Each has a spare SUV / minivan for visitors to use
6) Each has a utility trailer to be used by all.
7) A tractor
8) A machine and automotive shop
9) A woodworking shop
10) Spare bay for storage or repair of vehicle, toad, UTV, projects

We ALL get along very well and this avails hosting at similar places all over USA, Canada, and various other parts of the world we also travel (sometimes in borrowed or rented RV's.

Been doing this stuff for over 30 yrs, retired for 20. 30+ more yrs to go. (STLT)
Learning, helping others, (and most important...'listening') each and every adventurous and interesting day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing