Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:10 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times

Advertisements

Here is a during and (mostly) finished result on the floor replacement.

Here are the furring strips scabbed in.

New insulation added in. Never turn down a chance to add R value.

New plywood screwed down.

I will out down new vinyl flooring. I am thinking I will use a wood grained pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 PM

Has anyone ever resided their camper? I am thinking the fiberglass rolls like System 3 systems. Something to make the camper look newer and seal it up a bit better.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:34 AM

41 posts, read 129,663 times
I just rebuilt the front end or our Keystone Bullet due to rain damage. First thing of course was to stop the leaks. I used Eternabond RV Roof tape and lots of self leveling caulk. Next, stripped everything down to the aluminum frame and removed the wet insulation. Left it open for about a month to ensure it was all dry.
When going back with everything, I used 1/8 bendable plywood (ordered at Home Depot) and a 16ga nailer into the aluminum but be sure to use adhesive as the nails may back out over time. Finished up with trim work using more adhesive and a few paneling nails.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:02 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
We bought an entry level 31' travel trailer back in 1995. It lasted 20 years until the black streaks on the paint looked so bad.

I had leaks once in a corner and had to completely reconstruct the rear bedroom--down to the floor. Later, I had another leak on the front corner, and reconstruction was not as bad.

Morale of the story: Buy a fiberglass sided camper. Never consider an aluminum sided one.

We now have a 36' fifth wheel trailer with a rear bunkhouse for the grandkids and an outside kitchen. With 4 slides, it's just so roomy.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:51 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,039,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6genet View Post
I just rebuilt the front end or our Keystone Bullet due to rain damage. First thing of course was to stop the leaks. I used Eternabond RV Roof tape and lots of self leveling caulk. Next, stripped everything down to the aluminum frame and removed the wet insulation. Left it open for about a month to ensure it was all dry.
When going back with everything, I used 1/8 bendable plywood (ordered at Home Depot) and a 16ga nailer into the aluminum but be sure to use adhesive as the nails may back out over time. Finished up with trim work using more adhesive and a few paneling nails.
I just rebuilt the front end of my 1977 slide-in Coachman. It also had rain damage. The front window was very loose. I was afraid it would fall out. I replaced the pressed board with 1/4 inche plywood. It stabilized the roof and the window.

The old 70's paneling was water damaged. I couldn't find any similar so I replaced it with breadboard. paneling.

The escape hatch leaks. The window cover is cracked. It's 15" x 22". They don't make 'em anymore. Trying to figureouthowtorebuildthisone.

Note: when spraying roof sealant on a windy day, make sure the windows are covered and the car is parked FAR, FAR away!!!

The shelf under the kitchen had been replaced. I lined it with whiye Glasliner FRP Wall Board smooth side up) that I had left over from another project.

The kitchen cabinets were bulging into the isle. Leveling the counter and reattaching it to the walk straightened them up again - minor details!

I replaced the kitchen paneling with dry-erase board and put a sheet of stainless steel behind the stove.

The wall appears to be sagging from the ceiling. Lots of dry rot along the edge of the roof. There is no give - I can't lift the wall back up into place. It seems to have settled in to that shape. It's pretty solid. This part is going to be a tricky repair!

Old 09-08-2021, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Has anyone ever resided their camper? I am thinking the fiberglass rolls like System 3 systems. Something to make the camper look newer and seal it up a bit better.
How did it turn out?

Old 09-08-2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Mike and I wanted to do a whole coach one time. We even looked into buying a shell to convert. Instead we started on more houses, lol.

Thanks and lol....that is fun for Mike and I. We are strange that way
I hear ya!

Old 09-08-2021, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
How did it turn out?
Never tried it. Upgraded campers instead.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:06 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
I'll toss this in since I've seen a LOT of this lately with all of the new campers (people, not rvs) out and about at the campgrounds and popping up in the forums.

A lot of leaks stem from a lack of roof maintenance. It's fairly easy to do but it's often easily overlooked. I wash my RV roof once per month (43' so a lot of ground to cover) and inspect all of the dicor sealant around any protrusions through the roof. If it begins to crack, or if there are any signs of lifting, it's best to carefully remove it, clean the area well, and reapply.

Dicor is the best product to use. Do not ever use standard caulking (acrylic or silicone). It will not bond to the rubber roof membrane.

Dicor self leveling lap sealant is used for the roof and non-leveling lap sealant is best for vertical surfaces. Both can be had on Amazon or purchased at any RV dealership in the parts department.

I always suggest that folks keep a roll of Eternabond tape to quickly fix a cut in the membrane and a tube of Dicor on hand. If you clean it properly, condition it, and keep the maintenance up an RV roof will last a long time and you can greatly minimize the risk of roof leaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing