Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best?
Ann Arbor, MI 2 14.29%
Burlington, VT 5 35.71%
Ithaca, NY 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 20,695 times

Advertisements

I have four children and our family is very green, eco-friendly, and liberal. We are looking for a decent sized city big enough to offer good stores, shopping, and entertainment but small enough to avoid major crime. We also want a kid and family friendly environment with good neighborhoods. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
D. None of the above.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:16 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
I have not been to Ann Arbor, but both Burlington and Ithaca are great. They are very similar. Beautiful scenery, on a lake. Burlington is closer to bigger mountains.
Have you been to any of these cities?

Old 10-24-2010, 04:51 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
D. None of the above.
I would go with this but I've never been to Ithaca.
Ann Arbor is in southern Michigan...
Burlington just sucks.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:31 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Ann Arbor feels like a much larger city.

Ithaca is probably a lot cheaper than Burlington.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:28 PM

274 posts, read 673,621 times
I haven't been to Ann Arbor, but I was born in central NY and have been to Ithaca many times. I prefer Burlington over Ithaca. Burlington doesn't "suck" to me. Living here is a dream. I like it better than Ithaca because it is part of New England (I've been a new englander for over 20 years and prefer it over central NY), so therefore it is closer to other places I love too (Boston, White Mountains, Seacoast), and is close to Montreal. For me, it does not have a high cost of living because I came here by way of Boston and then southern NH, which have higher COL's. And the access to fresh, local food, good people, great values, skiing and beautiful scenery is much better. I am really happy raising my kids here because it reminds me of how I was raised back in rural central NY before life got so complicated. I love the fact that it is so family friendly here, and relatively safe. Even in NH, my kids couldn't leave the backyard and I had to have my eye on them constantly. Now they can run through the whole neighborhood and just be kids.

P.s. I have a professional job here, and so does my husband, and we both make more money than we did in Boston/NH where all the supposed good jobs are. I know I can't say the same for everyone but just wanted to say this since this forum tends to paint a very negative view of many things. Like anything, there are good cases and bad cases.

And oh, I don't think anyone will claim that central NY and Michigan have awesome economies. Though Ithaca and Ann Arbor benefit from being college towns, just like Burlington does.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
The problem with Ithaca, besides being a city, is that it's in NY. NY sucks. VT is a hard place to live in unless you're wealthy, but NY simply all around sucks with an oppressive government, too many people with bad attitudes, etc.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:44 PM

Does anyone know if either of these places (Ithaca/Ann Arbor) has the homeless/runaway/mental health population that Burlington does?
Are they a draw for the urban poor from Philadelphia, NYC, and Chicago the way Burlington is?

Old 10-24-2010, 08:09 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
Does anyone know if either of these places (Ithaca/Ann Arbor) has the homeless/runaway/mental health population that Burlington does?
Are they a draw for the urban poor from Philadelphia, NYC, and Chicago the way Burlington is?
As a MI native, I haven't heard of that. Detroit is closer to Ann Arbor than Chicago. But generally speaking, the homeless/runaway/mental health of MI seem to gravitate towards Florida than Ann Arbor.

--

As to the overall question of this thread. Ironically I am familiar with Ann Arbor and not the other two.

But from what you are asking, Ann Arbor fits. It's a decent size city with many amenities, a large international population attracted to the graduate programs and undergrad as well. It's also green, eco-friendly and liberal. Many things go through Ann Arbor for venues, etc. Not much crime there either, especially compared to other MI cities.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
As a MI native, I haven't heard of that. Detroit is closer to Ann Arbor than Chicago. But generally speaking, the homeless/runaway/mental health of MI seem to gravitate towards Florida than Ann Arbor.

--

As to the overall question of this thread. Ironically I am familiar with Ann Arbor and not the other two.

But from what you are asking, Ann Arbor fits. It's a decent size city with many amenities, a large international population attracted to the graduate programs and undergrad as well. It's also green, eco-friendly and liberal. Many things go through Ann Arbor for venues, etc. Not much crime there either, especially compared to other MI cities.
Burlington's international population is not here for school, they are refugees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: