Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 11:51 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don’t think that will change much, as Kathy Hochul is a Buffalo area native and has been involved in the economic development councils as the chair. I say this at least for as long she may be in office.
I know she's from Buffalo, but it's troubling why that would even be a factor. I also wasn't talking only of Buffalo. There's a whole state out there. Otherwise, so far she's basically been in the background and hasn't exuded an air of authority IMO. From what I've seen, I highly doubt see could be elected, but we'll see what happens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 12:41 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I know she's from Buffalo, but it's troubling why that would even be a factor. I also wasn't talking only of Buffalo. There's a whole state out there. Otherwise, so far she's basically been in the background and hasn't exuded an air of authority IMO. From what I've seen, I highly doubt see could be elected, but we'll see what happens
I don't know if it is troubling when looking at the singular development, as it is the only pro football team actually in the state. So, it could be viewed from that lens as well.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:21 PM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times
I wouldn't be too sure that the Bills will not leave. First of all, downstate is where the power is. The last upstate Governor was in 1920. WNY is not at the top of the agenda in state politics. If they couldn't get funding for the Jets or Giants what makes you think that they will find the cash for this?

Old 08-03-2021, 04:24 PM

14 posts, read 10,754 times
Texan here and the citizens of Austin will not...WILL NOT....pay for an NFL stadium. This is just a ploy to get y'all to pay for one. The only reason Austin has an MLS team is the owner paid for the stadium himself on city owned land. Now San Antonio is another story. Twenty years ago the citizens voted to build an NFL stadium in hopes of getting a relocation (in the if we build it they will come mentality).

Old 08-03-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
Texan here and the citizens of Austin will not...WILL NOT....pay for an NFL stadium. This is just a ploy to get y'all to pay for one. The only reason Austin has an MLS team is the owner paid for the stadium himself on city owned land. Now San Antonio is another story. Twenty years ago the citizens voted to build an NFL stadium in hopes of getting a relocation (in the if we build it they will come mentality).
I also think that UT has too much pull in Austin.

As for San Antonio, is the Alamo Dome still a viable stadium option?

Old 08-03-2021, 06:36 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
I also think that UT has too much pull in Austin.

As for San Antonio, is the Alamo Dome still a viable stadium option?
Nope. San Antonio loves football, but no one here is taking this seriously. The Alamodome is a big, ugly, post modern dump.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:04 PM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Nope. San Antonio loves football, but no one here is taking this seriously. The Alamodome is a big, ugly, post modern dump.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...of-the-decade/

San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US and growing rapidly. Lets see what develops.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:10 AM

^I think this portion of the article is key: “ It’s true that San Antonio is the seventh-largest city in America and the biggest without an NFL team. But what matters more to the NFL is the size of the television market, and there are seven metropolitan areas with more TV households than San Antonio that don’t have NFL teams: Orlando, Sacramento, Portland, St. Louis, Raleigh-Durham, San Diego and Salt Lake City.”

That may play a part in not moving to San Antonio and even many of those other areas are either too close to a current organization(Orlando and Sacramento) or have such a big college sports presence(Raleigh-Durham and Salt Lake City). That leaves St. Louis, which has lost 2 teams; Portland, which still may be too close to Seattle and has 2 major college sports programs nearby and San Diego, which also has an outdated stadium issue that caused its long time team to leave up the road to Los Angeles.

Keep in mind that within a reasonable drive to the stadium, you have maybe 8-9 million people, if the border opens and about 3-4 million if it doesn’t(think WNY, CNY, Southern Tier and NW/Northern Tier of PA).

I also think the Bills need some type of agreement with UB, where they could share the stadium with them and in turn, bring that program to a higher profile conference like the American Athletic Conference.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:39 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
^

Keep in mind that within a reasonable drive to the stadium, you have maybe 8-9 million people, if the border opens and about 3-4 million if it doesn’t(think WNY, CNY, Southern Tier and NW/Northern Tier of PA).
In the case of the boarder not opening (the new normal) a more logical location would be at the intersection of I 90 & I 390. That way it is central to the people PAYING THE BILL, as well as drawing from N,S,E,W. If it is in Buffalo, the traffic, with everyone moving in the same direction would be a nightmare. The last few games I was there was a mess getting home.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
In the case of the boarder not opening (the new normal) a more logical location would be at the intersection of I 90 & I 390. That way it is central to the people PAYING THE BILL, as well as drawing from N,S,E,W. If it is in Buffalo, the traffic, with everyone moving in the same direction would be a nightmare. The last few games I was there was a mess getting home.
That's not happening, as that would minimize the Canadian fan base nearby. The border will open up eventually and the proximity to Canada's biggest population concentration is nice for the organization.

That would likely minimize the those in PA as well. You may get more from NY to "replace" them, but overall, a shift to that location decreases the fan base in proximity to the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area