Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 04:31 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

There's money to be made - that's all that seems to be needed for these gimmicky fights. Mind you, Ngannou is a beast of a man and has demonstrated knockout power numerous times. But, he's not a boxer, so he may have a puncher's chance, but he's bound to wind up getting starched by the much more experienced Fury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 06:10 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
This is nothing but a cash grab like the McGregor vs. Mayweather fight back in 2017.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:38 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is nothing but a cash grab like the McGregor vs. Mayweather fight back in 2017.
Completely agree

Old 07-13-2023, 08:07 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
This is a joke...........fight Usyk for the belts, fight Joshua as the Battle of Britain. The fans are the losers when this happens over and over. Fury has a chance to be an all-time great, but he seems to have no desire to build that resume.

Old 07-13-2023, 01:41 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
This is a joke...........fight Usyk for the belts, fight Joshua as the Battle of Britain. The fans are the losers when this happens over and over. Fury has a chance to be an all-time great, but he seems to have no desire to build that resume.
Ditto this. I get sick of gimmicks. The question to those that engage in this kind of farce is: Are you a boxer? A MMA fighter? or a CIRCUS CLOWN?

Old 07-17-2023, 08:18 AM

735 posts, read 406,849 times
this is stupid and I will not pay a dime. Ngannou wins if Fury sticks his chin out for a free punch.

Old 08-07-2023, 12:15 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
This is a joke and just a money grab. Fury will knock him out. Btw, i have never paid for any ppv. There are free pirated streams all over the net.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:46 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
I read the live blogs throughout the fight. I understand the outcome was controversial with some claiming that Francis was the true winner. There have been claims of corruption, politics, greed, bias, etc. There is no doubt that boxing has a history of that going back decades. But my opinion is that Tyson Fury truly did win the fight (albeit just barely).

I am a data scientist. We are trained to look at statistical data - events, outcomes, random variables, discrete summations, normal distribtion, etc. The data shows that Tyson statistically landed more strikes compared to Francis. The difference was relative minor but enought to give Fury the split decision. The knockdown was huge, but it only led to a 10-8 round as I recall. The other nine rounds were still in contention. So, the data points of the fight added up correctly in my opinion. But it was indeed very close - like marathon runners who come in #1 and #2 within 20 yards of each other after 26.2 miles.

With that said, I consider Francis the better fighter all-around. If this had been an MMA fight which allows wrestling, submissions, takedowns, etc., Francis would have won easily. Moreover, this was his first full ten-round professional fight. For Francis to come in and knock down Tyson in round 3 and go the distance is phenomenal. Imagine if Francis had taken a couple of warm-up fights in preparation - he might have dominated Fury with a unanimous decision at minimum or an outright TKO.

So, in a rematch I predict Tyson will lose. I also predict he will lose his next fight. A good analogy is Stipe's trilogy with DC. Those fights wore him out and led to his loss to Francis. Similarly, I think this unexpectedly brutal fight of maximum intensity, pressure, and an outright beating of Tyson will lead to his demise in the next fight. He's been exposed and worn down badly. This fight was a "Pyrrhic" victory and will likely end his undefeated streak very soon.

I have to conclude with safety issues. I am a biomedical engineer who did research with a neuroradiologist. I think Tyson and Francis should just retire. They've had enough wins and more than enough money. In ten years, they could have serious issues with CTE brain trauma. Other sypmptoms include memory loss, massive mood swings, dizziness, cerebral aneurysm, and elevated cortisol of stress hormones due to such symptoms. It could impact family life badly like marriage, fatherhood, etc. They should retire now while they are still fairly functional.

Old 10-30-2023, 01:53 PM

735 posts, read 406,849 times
I didnot sense real hard punches being thrown (maybe 50/60% of their power). Even the knockdown was shady...look at it slowly. He appeared off balance more than anything.

Old 10-31-2023, 01:59 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
I didnot sense real hard punches being thrown (maybe 50/60% of their power). Even the knockdown was shady...look at it slowly. He appeared off balance more than anything.
As proud as I am of Ngannou for not embarrassing himself, I cant help but think that Fury just took it easy on him. Every time Fury pressed forward, he was tagging Ngannou almost at will. But again, for a guy who has never been a professional boxer, Ngannou did well. He had a ton of pressure on him having essentially given up on his MMA career. To his credit, he stepped up. Hopefully he gets a nice bag from some of these fights in his future.

Fury will always be a marvel to me. He has to be the most unathletic build boxer I've ever seen. Yet just about every time I've seen him step in the ring, he's clearly the better boxer every time. Head movement, hand speed, great motor inspite of all the extra pounds he carries. And best of all, an ability to take a punch and not fall apart.

Like others have said, he's clearly not obssessed with being the greatest boxer of all time, plus he doesnt really have any worthwhile challengers to give him that rivalry that fans can gravitate to like Ali/Frazier for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing