Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:03 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Boxing rocks. It is only "dead" in the USA, as the American boxers are getting destroyed by the Russians and Ukrainians.
Boxing is not dead in the USA and the fact that Eastern European boxers come here to live and train is because this is where the money and excitement is for boxing. Russian and Ukrainians are at the top of the heavyweight ranks ONLY because most of our supremely gifted American athletes over 200lbs go into basketball or football instead. Most American heavyweight boxers now are fat, slow, prodding goofballs with bad training habits. Americans and Mexicans till rule most other divisions and that will continue for years and years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Seriously, have you seen UFC guys? They're the dregs of society. They put on this "big man" image, as I'm sure that is why they're doing it. They probably couldn't do anything else, so they have to use their bodies to make a living. I doubt that many of them are of high intelligence.
You are 100% correct on this. Most of these guys (especially the TUF guys) are all tattood wannabe tough guys who really have little true martial art ability. They are guys who all had a "tough life" and are trying to figure out some way to earn a living instead of going to jail.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Do you even understand that boxers in the U.S. are getting pulverized by the far superior Russians and Ukrainians? That's what has happened.

That you don't even acknowledge them seems to tell me that you don't know the sport at all.
Again, the European boxers are all very robotic and lack any real athletic skill. The only reason they are at the top of the heavyweight game is due to two reasons - 1) lack of top US athletes wanting to get into boxing and 2) Fighters like the Klitchkos are hiring the geniuses of the sport - Emmanual Steward, Freddy Roach, etc. to train them to be better fighters. Of all the European fighters out there Klitshcko is the only one who has some small degree of skill but it is all in his right hand that he is usually scared to throw. Plus, he has a glass jaw. Dont think he would last again with Peter if/when they fight. Klitschkos last fight was really bad. Even Manny Steward was telling him during the fight "Its gonna be bad if you dont knock this guy out". He didnt knock him out and it was bad.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:53 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
Boxing is not dead, it's just sick.

It was made that way by corrupt sanctioning bodies, boxing politics, the "star" system, and PPV.

UFC and other forms of MMA have nothing to do with boxing. They lack the art and style of boxing and are more related to the type of street fighting you might see in the alley behind a gay bar on Saturday night.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:28 AM

17 posts, read 79,496 times
You know boxing is dead when less than 5% of the population can determine who the heavy weight champion of the world today compared back a mere 15-20 years ago. It is declining and will continue to decline until there is a star that is in the mold of Ali, Suger Ray, Tyson. Until then it will decline and you have to contribute that UFC is gaining popularity by the minute since it attracks many boxing fans away from boxing.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
They lack the art and style of boxing and are more related to the type of street fighting you might see in the alley behind a gay bar on Saturday night.
This post cracked me up. Very true.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,984 times
Boxing is surely dead. I am sorry to see it go...but, UFC IS a sport and it is far more exciting than boxing ever was. I used to watch boxing every chance I got, now when I watch it, I find myself thinking, wow, this is boring, they need to take this fight to the ground, throw some elbows, SOMETHING!! The one part of boxing I will miss is Teddy Atlas, he brought out the "art" in the "sweet science". R.I.P. boxing.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:27 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,239 times
Since this thread turned into a boxing vs. MMA argument I'll mention that RJJ is headlining an event in Pensacola, in March, that includes at least three mixed martial arts bouts.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:52 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,636 times
with the greedy ass fighters wanting large % of money and not fighting the top contenders + good fights will lead boxing to the grave.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Boxing isn't dead but it's no longer mainstream. You don't see suburban dads inviting their buddies over for the big fight anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing