Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:06 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,287 times

Advertisements

The boxing politics need to back off, and we also need some exciting fighters that will fight 4-5 times a year, remember back in the early Tyson days? He used to fight monthly and that was on regular HBO. Even Holyfield would fight pretty often, alot of the top fighters today fight like twice a year.

But yes I would love to see boxing come back as big as it used to be.

I doubt Mayweather will fight Hatton, if he does he tears him up by a 12 round dec. Mayweather will liklely fight dela hoya again or maybe Cotto. If Cotto can stay on him then possibly he will win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
You are right, it was boring. But with 2 million buys, it just shows you that Americans are still interested and that they really want the sport to make a comeback. Everybody loves a BIG fight, not just fight fans.....boxing is down now, but as soon as a major star emerges or another major rivalry comes about, the sport will be back.

maybe hatton v mayweather???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 08:05 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,687 times
if you guys want to see a GREAT FIGHT, download Diego Corrales v Jose Luis Castillo on iTunes. It is absolutely unbelievable.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:06 PM

I agree, all out war. Sad Diego is gone. That fight alone took alot out out Castillo, actually did they fight twice? or 3 times?

Even though its a great fight the average Joe has no clue who those people are, while MMA/ UFC is growing so fast that i see kids wearing Randy Couture, Rampage and so many different MMA t-shirts. Heck woman wear them too. Ever been to a UFC, its crazy the crowd is so mixed, name the age and its there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
if you guys want to see a GREAT FIGHT, download Diego Corrales v Jose Luis Castillo on iTunes. It is absolutely unbelievable.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:39 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamInShape View Post
Many say that the sport of boxing is dying and is being replaced by UFC. Will boxing survive??? What are some solutions in making boxing exciting again??

If I don't get many replies then boxing might be dead afterall.
Boxing will never be dead and it's future does not depend on UFC. There are millions of hardcore fans, real students of the game, who will always cherish this great sport.

I think UFC fans should focus on UFC. Two different sports here, both enjoyed.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:57 AM

Default boxing not dead

There is plenty of money in boxing, its not dead, but its nowhere near what it was. These days the average sports fan has no clue who the heavyweight champ is, the same goes for all other boxing divisions. The UFC is great and yes cant be compared to boxing, its a different sport.

Boxing needs more stars, Dela hoya is just about done, Mayweather cant seem to sell on his own, he needs a big name to attract a crowd.

Sam Peters seems to have a future if he stays in top shape & focussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfush View Post
Boxing will never be dead and it's future does not depend on UFC. There are millions of hardcore fans, real students of the game, who will always cherish this great sport.

I think UFC fans should focus on UFC. Two different sports here, both enjoyed.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
There is plenty of money in boxing, its not dead, but its nowhere near what it was. These days the average sports fan has no clue who the heavyweight champ is, the same goes for all other boxing divisions. The UFC is great and yes cant be compared to boxing, its a different sport.

Boxing needs more stars, Dela hoya is just about done, Mayweather cant seem to sell on his own, he needs a big name to attract a crowd.

Sam Peters seems to have a future if he stays in top shape & focussed.
Well, it is about making money isn't it? Purses are larger now for superstars and they seldomly fight (Boxing) and prefer to play it safe not to risk their name. Used to be where fighters went at it more often, but the gap between great fights is pathetic now. Still, I perfer Boxing over UFC.

I don't care for UFC once those fighters hit the ground. Then it becomes a glorified wrestling match to me and I don't care for that. I even prefer kickboxing to UFC. To each his own I guess.

Agreed about Mayweather. He needs big names and he also needs wars. Look how far Gatti got on less talent but the willingness to get into wars.

Time will tell about Peters. His conditioning is suspect beyond the 7th round and he needs some serious roadwork to lose that gut and condition those legs.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:03 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamInShape View Post
Many say that the sport of boxing is dying and is being replaced by UFC. Will boxing survive??? What are some solutions in making boxing exciting again??

If I don't get many replies then boxing might be dead afterall.
Boxing will always be ahead of UFC (although I like UFC too) because there is no one man that can dominate UFC. There are too many different styles in UFC, which is great actually, but won't make it a "supersport". Sports thrive when there is one dominating athletes. NBA with Mike, Tiger Woods to Golf. The best UFC fighters have 4 and 5 losses and people don't like that. Even though I know I couldn't last more than 15 seconds with those guys there is still some fool out there (who won a couple street fights) that looks at 5 losses and says he is beatable. People know they can't do what Mike does and what Tiger does. Boxings problem is it is fueled by the heavyweight division. In his prime you couldn't find a regular citizen who would want to step in the ring with Tyson. I personally know I couldn't last a round with Mayweather, but there is still a 6'5 260 pound guy who thinks he could hang with a 147 pound Mayweather (Pound for Pound best fighter right now). The big man is of course is, fooling himself because anyone who has ever spent a day in a boxing ring knows he would be destroyed in heartbeat. One more example, 2 years ago Zab Judah was robbed in NYC. Nobody, I mean nobody with any weapons would attempt to rob Mike Tyson. It's is all perception. If the heavyweight division wasn't lacking, boxing would probably be doing better than it ever has. I can make a case that most weight classes are as good as they ever have been.

Last edited by ogplife; 10-13-2007 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-13-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Boxing will always be ahead of UFC (although I like UFC too) because there is no one man that can dominate UFC. There are too many different styles in UFC, which is great actually, but won't make it a "supersport". Sports thrive when there is one dominating athletes. NBA with Mike, Tiger Woods to Golf. The best UFC fighters have 4 and 5 losses and people don't like that. Even though I know I couldn't last more than 15 seconds with those guys there is still some fool out there (who won a couple street fights) that looks at 5 losses and says he is beatable. People know they can't do what Mike does and what Tiger does. Boxings problem is it is fueled by the heavyweight division. In his prime you couldn't find a regular citizen who would want to step in the ring with Tyson. I personally know I couldn't last a round with Mayweather, but there is still a 6'5 260 pound guy who thinks he could hang with a 147 pound Mayweather (Pound for Pound best fighter right now). The big man is of course is, fooling himself because anyone who has ever spent a day in a boxing ring knows he would be destroyed in heartbeat. One more example, 2 years ago Zab Judah was robbed in NYC. Nobody, I mean nobody with any weapons would attempt to rob Mike Tyson. It's is all perception. If the heavyweight division wasn't lacking, boxing would probably be doing better than it ever has. I can make a case that most weight classes are as good as they ever have been.
Good post. I personally don't care for UFC because the fighters eventually end up on the ground and I'm not into the glorified wrestling. I'm not interested in watching two guys grappling on the ground. I prefer boxing and if boxing is not on, kickboxing.

The heavies today are quite pathetic. Whatever happened to the athletic, muscle-chisled heavies? I'm talking about a heavyweight version of Bernard Hopkins? These heavies now are flabby, knock-kneed, pot-bellied, soft-looking fatboys. There are a few exceptions. But most of them look like they should be doing belly flops on America's Funniest Home Videos rather than pretending to be serious fighters. The division really shames the sport. But even still, I'd pick it over UFC everytime.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:37 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
Boxing still has popularity in countries like the Ukraine or the Philippines, but as an American sport, it's not very important anymore.

This might be because the people who manage boxing in the US need some new blood. I remember seeing Don King all over boxing rings in the 1980's, as a youngster. Twenty years later he is... still there. Boxing in the US is more of an 'old man sport' in terms of its viewership. It matters more to people who can remember how it used to be, compared to people who have only known of boxing from recent times.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,169 times
Just for the record Boxing is no where near dying. MMA UFC is the newest trend out there, and yes it has gain so much popularity in the pass 5 years that doesn't means that Boxing is gonna died. In other countries Boxing is a way of life some of there heroes, legends are boxers people actually will not go to work just to watch there home fighter fight or the whole country will celebrate the victory of there champion. In the USA where money talks, where people are stereotypical and where the am better than you BS happens on a daily bases, people believe and know that such historic sport will died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing