Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Satisfaction of Boise Metro Area Residents
100%: No negative factors come to mind 18 7.38%
90%: Nearly perfect, flaws nearly imperceptible 34 13.93%
80%: Extremely positive view. Bad stuff is just not a factor. 54 22.13%
70%: Very positive view. Good very solidly outweighs bad. 68 27.87%
60%: More good than bad, but not by a big margin. 21 8.61%
50%: Very average. Good balances the bad. 10 4.10%
40%: Below average. Bad outweighs the good. 11 4.51%
30%: Way below average. Not many positives here. 8 3.28%
20%: Boise is really bad. Can't really see good. Would rather move. 4 1.64%
10%: Boise is awful and I'm moving. Nothing good about that place at all. 5 2.05%
0%: I left Boise, and hope I never see it again. 11 4.51%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times

Advertisements

Since this seems to be a topic of much discussion, with some feeling that it has some issues but it's a great place to live to others who have a pretty unflattering view based on their posts, here is a poll for y'all.

It's a simple way for you to weigh your satisfaction with LIVING in the Boise Metro Area (excluding Nampa/Caldwell since there does seem to be more negative about that area and it can be discussed separately as it's westward a bit).

Please only vote and comment if you CURRENTLY reside in the area AND have lived in Boise longer than 90 days, or if you LEFT the area in the past 6 months.

Also, if you post a comment, please note the specific area of the metro region (just be general to view people a better idea)

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 01-28-2009 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:01 PM

12 posts, read 80,324 times
I love it here. We lived in Boise a few years ago, then moved to Meridian. We moved to Spokane a year ago and have since moved back. I hear alot of good things about Spokane for raising families-but hands down Boise wins out. Compared to other cities-this is a great choice for families.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:51 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
I love this little city and it feels like home even though I am not from Idaho.
There is good and bad in every city and Boise certainly has areas of improvement to focus on as the city continues growing such as traffic, public transportation, finally getting the new convention center built, the need for more highrise housing downtown, but I feel the good outweighs the bad. There are not many other cities that can boast of a clean river right in downtown, an envious greenbelt and the amount of large beautiful parks such as we can. Many cities have ghost towns for downtowns but we have a vibrant, clean, safe, classy downtown that is truly the heart of the city.
I feel lucky to live here especially in the current mess the United States of America is in. I would much rather live here during economic turmoil than in many other areas of the country. There is safety here, there are compassionate people here, I think it can be a very nurturing city for people.
I live in East Boise.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
I put 70%.

I've lived here most of my life. I'm an Idaho boy. I've spent very little time outside of Idaho, so I don't know much about life elsewhere aside what friends and family tell me.

I know many of friends and family don't like Boise for various reasons, but I enjoy it. I enjoyed it much, much more a few decades ago, before so many people came. The good that has come from the last 10 years is outweighed by the negative. I honestly worry that, should we face another 10 years like the last, the bad will only multiply exponentially.

The good: Improved downtown, more diversity, getting better politically, the Greenbelt is safer, downtown is safer, relatively cheap to live here (if you have a job), change of seasons, the park system, it's low key, the outdoors recreation can't be beat, citizens are increasingly environmentally aware, airport is good, and Boise State is improving tremendously (and the Broncos are such a great part of the community).

The negative: we have a house-of-cards economy based on two things - a dying tech industry (Micron and HP are going down the tubes, and MPC already has) and growth/real estate. Traffic congestion is increasing while the road quality and opportunity for infrastructure is decreasing, no public transportation, the air quality is horrible now, the new homes are cookie cutter, everyone wants the suburban life, so the downtown condo living and public transportation plans will never materialize, our taxes are increasing every year, about 8% of Boise is interesting and worthwhile (everything west of downtown is the same characterless growth you find in every other city, relatively isolated, no support for the arts and music scene, horrible drivers here lately, recreational areas are sadly being used and abused with little care, despite the best efforts of local advocacy groups, foothills development, and the increasing costs of a growing city.

I suppose I'm just torn. It's hard to watch a place you love change in ways that you don't support. While all is certainly not lost, and the good still outweighs the bad, I just look around to other places in the country and it's hard to be hopeful. That said, I'll probably stay here for the rest of my life.

I've lived in a few places. Lived right around downtown for quite a while, then to eastern Boise, then Southeastern Boise, and now right above Ann Morrison park. Can't be too far away from the Greenbelt, the river, and downtown. Take those things away (and the foothills), and you don't have Boise anymore.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:51 AM

306 posts, read 1,247,592 times
Default 80%

My answer was:
80%: Extremely positive view. Bad stuff is just not a factor.

I've been here 14 months now and live in Eagle.
I've lived in Arizona (too hot ), California (too expensive ) and Connecticut (too cold )

I really love it here. There are seasons but they are not extreme by any means.

The only thing I miss is the ocean but having a natural river (one that is not contained by concrete) run right through the middle of the city makes up for some of that loss.
I just love water- be it an ocean, a lake, a river or streams ... as long as the city I live has some culture, some water, trees and it reletively low crime - I'm happy.
Boise / Eagle meets all our needs - and then some.

From my windows right now I can see the snow on Bogus Basin (ski resort) blue skies and a family walking their dog along a stream.
There is no snow on the ground and it's January 31.

It's a nippy 36 degrees outside, but it's lovely. No drizzle, no fog/inversion, no rain, no snow, no intense wind ... just a bit cold. Not bad at all.

Last edited by AlleyTD; 01-31-2009 at 12:00 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 AM

34 posts, read 197,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I feel lucky to live here especially in the current mess the United States of America is in. I would much rather live here during economic turmoil than in many other areas of the country. There is safety here, there are compassionate people here, I think it can be a very nurturing city for people.
I live in East Boise.
I agree with this 100%

I am sure there are a few more places in this land that you can feel safe, but Boise feels like a family to me and there are truly great, friendly folks that want to be part of it! Many more smiles in this great little city than frowns!!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,578 times
Just finished 8 months. I voted 70% and that's accurate. I don't see traffic problems as others do. I don't see "air quality issues" as others do. If Boise is a threat to violate Federal Air standards than those standards do not apply to Cali, AZ and Dallas because those places are like living inside a chimney.

The economic meltdown is affecting Boise. I agree with folks who are worried about the reliance on the tech economy. HP and Micron are on the ropes. If they go down--the only non-hourly wage jobs are in banking and healthcare. Meaning..the opptys for college degree-holders get cut severely.

I find it worrisome that the state politicians are in opposition to Federal Stimulus package assistance. I know of no other community/state that is taking that position. That might hurt our chances at getting that big Lincoln recognition...

Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
Idaho is making cuts in all the wrong places. They need better higher education, it is obvious that the system doesn't work. The new community college should have been OVER capacity at opening but they didn't even meet their target enrollment. Why? My own theory is it is still too expensive. Most of my friends from high school who attained higher educations in state or out of state have left Boise. That is NOT good.

No large company is going to move into Boise relying on other states talent to move to Idaho.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:31 AM

960 posts, read 1,162,321 times
Brain drain was a major issue in Boise 20 years ago too. It's a difficult-to-resolve but very important problem. Of half a dozen friends I can think of off the top of my head, only 1 returned to Boise. Which is a shame, because it's a great place to live in many ways. The solution is not just better higher education; no matter how good that is, people are going to leave if they can't find a commensurate wage for their education. Among the first two things Idahoans should do is raise the state's minimum wage and repeal the right-to-work law that busts the unions. (Unions doing illegal stuff is bad; collective bargaining is good.) Both of these would eventually raise the average wage, which would in turn attract talented workers to Boise. Given the way the majority in Idaho usually votes though, it's a lost cause for the foreseeable future. Idaho voters basically vehemently demand low wages whether or not they realize that.

Last edited by Heiwos; 02-27-2009 at 01:43 AM..

Old 02-27-2009, 10:44 AM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
I've worked for a union and I give it a thumbs down. While the idea is great they tend be useless while taking your money (dues) or too powerful where people are compensated far too much for doing far too little. I have an issue when pay and other benefits are based on years of service and nothing else and idiots are protected from termination. I'm sure many others do as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area