Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Satisfaction of Boise Metro Area Residents
100%: No negative factors come to mind 18 7.38%
90%: Nearly perfect, flaws nearly imperceptible 34 13.93%
80%: Extremely positive view. Bad stuff is just not a factor. 54 22.13%
70%: Very positive view. Good very solidly outweighs bad. 68 27.87%
60%: More good than bad, but not by a big margin. 21 8.61%
50%: Very average. Good balances the bad. 10 4.10%
40%: Below average. Bad outweighs the good. 11 4.51%
30%: Way below average. Not many positives here. 8 3.28%
20%: Boise is really bad. Can't really see good. Would rather move. 4 1.64%
10%: Boise is awful and I'm moving. Nothing good about that place at all. 5 2.05%
0%: I left Boise, and hope I never see it again. 11 4.51%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:12 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
I find it worrisome that the state politicians are in opposition to Federal Stimulus package assistance. I know of no other community/state that is taking that position. That might hurt our chances at getting that big Lincoln recognition...
Actually, Idaho isn't the only state not wanting the stimulus money. Don't worry, part of the reason they don't want it is that it always comes with onerous strings attached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
I put 70%.

I've lived here most of my life. I'm an Idaho boy. I've spent very little time outside of Idaho, so I don't know much about life elsewhere aside what friends and family tell me.

I know many of friends and family don't like Boise for various reasons, but I enjoy it. I enjoyed it much, much more a few decades ago, before so many people came. The good that has come from the last 10 years is outweighed by the negative. I honestly worry that, should we face another 10 years like the last, the bad will only multiply exponentially.

The good: Improved downtown, more diversity, getting better politically, the Greenbelt is safer, downtown is safer, relatively cheap to live here (if you have a job), change of seasons, the park system, it's low key, the outdoors recreation can't be beat, citizens are increasingly environmentally aware, airport is good, and Boise State is improving tremendously (and the Broncos are such a great part of the community).

The negative: we have a house-of-cards economy based on two things - a dying tech industry (Micron and HP are going down the tubes, and MPC already has) and growth/real estate. Traffic congestion is increasing while the road quality and opportunity for infrastructure is decreasing, no public transportation, the air quality is horrible now, the new homes are cookie cutter, everyone wants the suburban life, so the downtown condo living and public transportation plans will never materialize, our taxes are increasing every year, about 8% of Boise is interesting and worthwhile (everything west of downtown is the same characterless growth you find in every other city, relatively isolated, no support for the arts and music scene, horrible drivers here lately, recreational areas are sadly being used and abused with little care, despite the best efforts of local advocacy groups, foothills development, and the increasing costs of a growing city.

I suppose I'm just torn. It's hard to watch a place you love change in ways that you don't support. While all is certainly not lost, and the good still outweighs the bad, I just look around to other places in the country and it's hard to be hopeful. That said, I'll probably stay here for the rest of my life.

I've lived in a few places. Lived right around downtown for quite a while, then to eastern Boise, then Southeastern Boise, and now right above Ann Morrison park. Can't be too far away from the Greenbelt, the river, and downtown. Take those things away (and the foothills), and you don't have Boise anymore.
Thank you for your post, but really "air quality" issues in Boise? I find this hard to believe. I live in San Jose, CA a city of 900,000 (with Silicon Valley having 1.8 million) located in a bowl shaped valley, and we never violate the air quality standards here (Federal or State--with the state's being stricter). I can't imagine a city the size of Boise would.

I've never lived in Boise, but the rest makes sense. It's nice to hear from someone who loves where they live but who can still be honest about their city's faults.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-07-2010 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Many unions do work as they should; you don't hear about them much. There will always be some bad apples. The rise of unions largely created the middle class. Busting them across the board is a bad idea, unless you're rich.
If we want more of a middle class, we need to put an end to the 40% out of wedlock birth rate and the 40% divorce rate. Any financial analyst will tell you these 2 things kill people financially.

We also need to replace the culture of debt with the culture of thrift. That means being tougher on the banks and credit card companies by not letting them lend so much to people. But it also means financial planning classes in schools for the kids. And it means people and a culture who have the discipline to say "no" to debt (especially consumer debt) and "yes" to saving. The value of thrift used to exist in our culture, but has been abandoned since the Baby Boomers came of age.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 PM
CSG

201 posts, read 382,978 times
As far as cities go, I like Boise. We used to have a weekend home there but as we live in Twin we ended up going less and less and finally sold it. We looked a few times at relocating there as there is simply more to do than Twin but it's too big and too crowded for our desires while raising children.

If I were single, however, I'd pick Boise over Twin without hesitation.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:35 AM

31 posts, read 115,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
I've worked for a union and I give it a thumbs down. While the idea is great they tend be useless while taking your money (dues) or too powerful where people are compensated far too much for doing far too little. I have an issue when pay and other benefits are based on years of service and nothing else and idiots are protected from termination. I'm sure many others do as well.

I worked for AFL-CIO for 15 years. I could not agree with you more. last time was back in the mid 80's. Unions are a bad idea all around. Look at the government and the Union workers within the government. Anyone really want more of that? NOT ME!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:46 AM

31 posts, read 115,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Actually, Idaho isn't the only state not wanting the stimulus money. Don't worry, part of the reason they don't want it is that it always comes with onerous strings attached.
Oh, that it does. It was and is a bad idea in my opinion. To big to fail? Pleeese!

Old 03-27-2010, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 33,320 times
Almost 55 yo mom of one, divorced, native to Southern California...and very, very tired of CA. Too much crime, too many nuts, too much traffic, high cost of living, too much noise. Takes forever to get out of town (HOURS), everywhere you go it's conjested.

Entering a time in my life where I just want peace and quiet, and decent people with good values.

Have been toying with moving to Colorado Springs, Boise or PNW. Not sure I can handle all the gloom in the PNW, but I do have a possible employment opportunity there with the company I am currently with. That, obviously is a big factor.

And yet, I want to live where I would be most happy...sunshine, four seasons (w/relatively mild winter), able to get out of the hubbub within 30 to an hour (yeah, I know, traffic is a problem in Boise)...and a home that is not smack dab up to my neighbors (here, you can reach out your window and shake hands!) with a yard I can do some gardening in and create myself a little sanctuary of peace.

I am sooooo very fortunate in that I am inheriting a paid for home from my parents. Even tho' the economy is bad (and not likely to soon get better), I know upon selling I would have at least $100,000 to bank after paying cash for a home in Boise. I know, I know, it's us CA types who have messed up your housing mkt., for that I am really sorry and have no intentions of over-paying for a home. Am pretty conservative in that regard.

Am a polite, kind, friendly person in search of a town that is predominately filled with people who are the same.

Hoping to make a visit in July...wish me luck?

Old 03-27-2010, 05:05 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTired View Post

And yet, I want to live where I would be most happy...sunshine, four seasons (w/relatively mild winter), able to get out of the hubbub within 30 to an hour (yeah, I know, traffic is a problem in Boise)...and a home that is not smack dab up to my neighbors (here, you can reach out your window and shake hands!) with a yard I can do some gardening in and create myself a little sanctuary of peace.
Of course I'll wish you luck, however, nothing personal, but the more people that move here to be close to nature, with a spacious yard, the less of this nature we have. These spacious yards are spreading into nature, and soon you're not living close to nature, you're living on top of where nature used to be. Downtown LA was at one point close to nature.

Maybe look into an older house, in an established neighborhood like the North End or Warm Springs area. That way we can all remain close to nature.

But as I said Good Luck!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 33,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
Of course I'll wish you luck, however, nothing personal, but the more people that move here to be close to nature, with a spacious yard, the less of this nature we have. These spacious yards are spreading into nature, and soon you're not living close to nature, you're living on top of where nature used to be. Downtown LA was at one point close to nature.

Maybe look into an older house, in an established neighborhood like the North End or Warm Springs area. That way we can all remain close to nature.

But as I said Good Luck!!!
I know, it's sad how much of our beautiful country has been paved over.

Not much into new housing, actually prefer to leave a smaller footprint, buy something older and established, yardwise.

Not sure what the remedies are in terms of keeping people from relocating...other than to lock the gates.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:57 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I'm 32 next month and I've lived in Boise since I was about 1 month old, other than 4 years of college out of state. So you can't call me a Boise native, but I'm pretty dang close.

I voted for 80%. I can't imagine any place that doesn't have negatives, that would deserve an honest 100%. Every place has flaws. Boise is about as close as I could ever get to perfect though. Other places will just have different problems.

I love Boise, and am more and more glad I live here as I read posts from people in other parts of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger
Thank you for your post, but really "air quality" issues in Boise? I find this hard to believe. I live in San Jose, CA a city of 900,000 (with Silicon Valley having 1.8 million) located in a bowl shaped valley, and we never violate the air quality standards here (Federal or State--with the state's being stricter). I can't imagine a city the size of Boise would.
The biggest problem with the air quality here is one you probably don't have to deal with in your warmer climate, and one that does not require a large population... Inversions. In the wintertime, our valley can get cold air trapped under a layer of warmer air. The cold air can't escape and doesn't circulate, so it just gets dirtier and dirtier until a storm comes along to clear the air (literally). If we go a long time between storms, the air can get pretty bad. Obviously a larger population just makes the process go faster. Summertime forest fires can bring bad air quality, but not as bad as winter inversions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area