Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:56 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,983,929 times

Advertisements

I hope this is not a duplicate thread.

The Phillies look way better than the last two National League winning teams. It's quite possible they will represent the National league again. I know it's early and they only teams they played were the Nat and Astros. But if they continue hitting like this, No team will stop them from representing the NL for years.

2010 Philadelphia Phillies Batting Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,947 times
Even if they don't continue hitting like this, they are the best team in the NL. The best team doesn't always make it to the World Series, but that's because the best team doesn't always manage to put away lesser teams in the playoffs. Anything can happen, but one thing we know about the Phillies at this point; they don't have a problem with putting their feet on another teams' throats. They didn't retain Cliff Lee, but they "turned him into" the best pitcher in baseball. Halladay doesn't just win, he goes the distance. Add to that the potent offense they've already had, along with some good young pitching that has yet to fulfill its potential, and this team is going to be tough to beat for a very long time. There isn't one good reason why they couldn't win the World Series this year.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
As a Dodgers fan I see the Phillies as the favorite. Must be nice to have ownership go out and get players that make a difference.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 AM

BTC they look awesome! I know they are beating bottom dwellers so far, but they are professionals.(Nats and the Astros) Yesterday game was the battle of the Roys! I was very impressed with Oswalt pitching skills.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
As a Dodgers fan I see the Phillies as the favorite. Must be nice to have ownership go out and get players that make a difference.
Finally after some horrible years we Philly fan's had to endure.

What's going on with the McCourts? I know they are about to get a divorce. I wonder what will happen to the Dodgers if they do.

Pay or Play: Dodgers' Owners Divorce Could Cost $722 Mil - Nasty Breakups and Divorces : People.com

Old 04-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Q&A with Justice Samuel Alito, a Supreme Phillies fan | Philadelphia Daily News | 04/12/2010 (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20100412_Q_A_with_Justice_Samuel_Alito__a_Supreme_ Phillies_fan.html - broken link)

Old 04-12-2010, 03:10 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
BTC they look awesome! I know they are beating bottom dwellers so far, but they are professionals.(Nats and the Astros) Yesterday game was the battle of the Roys! I was very impressed with Oswalt pitching skills.
They're doing exactly what they're supposed to do. Beating up on the bottom dwellers is half the battle. If the Phillies do that all year, then just hovering around .500 against the better teams (and the Phillies should do quite a bit better than that) should lock up the NL East.

The key will be how they play at home this season, because they did struggle at home for a good part of 2009. If they avoid that in 2010 then they should be unstoppable.

They're an excellent team that for some reason still does not get the respect that they deserve. People are too quick to point to their ballpark when discussing their success, but the reality is they have done some of their best hitting on the road.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:51 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,243,365 times
I actually think the Phillies are starting to get a lot of respect (finally), and it was making a second straight World Series appearance that gave it to them IMO, even though they lost.

Regarding the Phillies' offense, I've said it before and I'll say it again - Citizens Bank Park is a better-than-average hitters' park and a very good home run hitters park. However, it is a better home run hitters park for RIGHT-handed hitters (assuming they pull the ball to LF) than it is for left-handed hitters. The Phillies' lineup is dominated by left-handed hitters, and I think that is part of the reason they aren't negatively impacted too much when they go to other ballparks. Some of the guys, in particular Ryan Howard, also don't need a home run-friendly park to hit a lot of home runs - Howard would hit a lot of homers regardless what his home park was.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM

chip72 Howard is a Beast....

Your absolutely right!

I really believe the only thing that will stop the Phillies from winning another championship is the health of the team. I believe our offense can win a ton of games for us this year if the starters can remain healthy!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
chip72 Howard is a Beast....

Your absolutely right!

I really believe the only thing that will stop the Phillies from winning another championship is the health of the team. I believe our offense can win a ton of games for us this year if the starters can remain healthy!

Pitching will still win ultimately; I am ok with Hamels today; we need to have at least two strong starters for the series and 3 better; gotta love Doc so far; and yes Howard is a beast; but those lopsided numbers they do are fun to watch remember in the series we will need to win some lower scoring games

That being said GO PHILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball