Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I actually think the Phillies are starting to get a lot of respect (finally), and it was making a second straight World Series appearance that gave it to them IMO, even though they lost.
I guess it depends on where you live. Around New York they're not getting the respect they deserve. I know you might expect that to be the norm, but most of the baseball fans I know around the city have a lot of knowledge when it comes to the game. Generally they're ready to give an out of town team it's due. Take the Red Sox... Sure, Yankee fans are quick to say "The Red Sox Suck!", but if you really sit and talk baseball with them, you know they don't really believe that.

The Phillies haven't gotten that kind of respect yet, from my experiences. Honestly, the Mets fans around here think the Phillies are horrible and they've been riding a wave of incredible luck for over three years now. They believe the Phillies are keeping their place on top of the division warm, and that the Mets can take it back whenever they're ready. OK, they did feel that way until very recently. It looks like reality is finally starting to set in around Queens.

Yankee fans who haven't yet learned to respect the Phillies will probably have another chance to see them in October. I think we'll see a rematch in 2010. Maybe with different results, maybe not, but I think we're going to see these two teams battle it out again this year with everything on the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,089 times
I hope Jimmy and and Werth are ok. It's still early but there can be some huge ramifications if they have lingering injuries all season.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:03 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,299,154 times
I hope they are ok because each one is a pretty important player on my fantasy team

Old 04-14-2010, 06:11 AM

With Rollins hurt, Phillies eye options | Philadelphia Inquirer | 04/14/2010 (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/homepage/20100414_With_Rollins_hurt__Phillies_eye_options.h tml - broken link)

If Rollins is place on the DL should Charlie mix up the lineup?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,052 times
Another Phils fan here...

My assessment of the team early into the season is this. You can just about bet the house that this team will lead the NL in total offense this season. It will be the pitching that decides how far this team can go. As long as Halladay stays healthy, you can count on him as a superior number 1.

But, they do have some issues 2-5. Hamels still looks shaky and Kendrick and Moyer should be battling for the number 5 spot. I don't believe they should both be in the lineup. Hopefully, Blanton can return as an effective number 3 as he was last year. As far as Happ...everyone's waiting for his eventual demise, but so far he's held up well.

The bullpen should be ok, but the closer position remains an issue. Bottom line, the offense will win many games for this team.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post

My assessment of the team early into the season is this. You can just about bet the house that this team will lead the NL in total offense this season. It will be the pitching that decides how far this team can go. As long as Halladay stays healthy, you can count on him as a superior number 1.

But, they do have some issues 2-5. Hamels still looks shaky and Kendrick and Moyer should be battling for the number 5 spot. I don't believe they should both be in the lineup. Hopefully, Blanton can return as an effective number 3 as he was last year. As far as Happ...everyone's waiting for his eventual demise, but so far he's held up well.

The bullpen should be ok, but the closer position remains an issue. Bottom line, the offense will win many games for this team.
I agree. What is wrong with Hamels? Man if our offense wasn't so explosive we would have probably loss that game.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,976 times
Quote:

Pretty spot on. To me, so much depends on whether Hamels can be more like 2008 Hamels than 2009 Hamels. If it's the former, look out- they'll have pretty much turned MLB into a two-team league.

WRT to the rest of the rotation, Blanton will do fine as a 3 when he returns, and Happ is a solid 4 at worst IMO (I think he will regress, but he's not garbage). If KK and Moyer can't get their acts together, and to be honest I think Kendrick IS garbage no matter what nice things have been said about the "new" him, Pedro will step back in and be the 5.

I think if Madson were outright given the closer's role, he'd do great. He has two plus pitches and if he sticks to them and doesn't try to get cute he'll do a great job.

These are golden days for Phillies phans. I never knew rooting for them could actually be this much fun

Old 04-14-2010, 10:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Pretty spot on. To me, so much depends on whether Hamels can be more like 2008 Hamels than 2009 Hamels. If it's the former, look out- they'll have pretty much turned MLB into a two-team league.

WRT to the rest of the rotation, Blanton will do fine as a 3 when he returns, and Happ is a solid 4 at worst IMO (I think he will regress, but he's not garbage). If KK and Moyer can't get their acts together, and to be honest I think Kendrick IS garbage no matter what nice things have been said about the "new" him, Pedro will step back in and be the 5.

I think if Madson were outright given the closer's role, he'd do great. He has two plus pitches and if he sticks to them and doesn't try to get cute he'll do a great job.

These are golden days for Phillies phans. I never knew rooting for them could actually be this much fun

I forgot about Pedro. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back as the fifth starter. Was there any particular reason Philly didn't bring him back for 2010?

Old 04-14-2010, 10:55 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,678 times
Quote:
I forgot about Pedro. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back as the fifth starter. Was there any particular reason Philly didn't bring him back for 2010?
It's still very likely that he wouldn't hold up over a whole season. The way he and the Phillies came together last year was perfect for both. It might be something worth exploring again later in this season.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:30 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Honestly, the Mets fans around here think the Phillies are horrible and they've been riding a wave of incredible luck for over three years now. They believe the Phillies are keeping their place on top of the division warm, and that the Mets can take it back whenever they're ready. OK, they did feel that way until very recently. It looks like reality is finally starting to set in around Queens.
No offense to any Mets fans who may be peeping in on this thread, but my experience is that most of them are a special blend of delusional and slow on the uptake. That organization is a total mess- I hope they give Minaya a ten-year extension If anyone is going to take over when the Phillies are ready to abdicate the top of the NL East, it'll be the Braves.

Though most Met fans I think, like you said, have finally accepted the reality of the situation (albeit a couple of years late).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball