Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 03:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Shoulda never shutdown Stratsburg
Stephen Strasburg shut down is right decision by Rizzo, Nationals - Tom Verducci - SI.com

The best argument I have heard yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 04:49 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Well it been fun watching the Nationals this year. The Cardinals deserved it. They were the better team. Nationals get back Strasburg next season and they can try again. At least I am not going to cry and be angry for two hours. I have other things to look forward to.
I honestly never saw how they deserved it. They got lucky because of the single wild-card game against the Braves. If that wasn't implemented, they never would have made it to the playoffs.

Mind you; I am a Washington/Baltimore fan but that notion was made way before the playoffs even began. Guess what happened during the series was coincidence, lol.

Last edited by Joke Insurance; 10-13-2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Shoulda never shutdown Stratsburg
Just curious, how much did you watch the team this year?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:40 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times
I have watched pretty much every Nationals game this season (except for the series against Arizona which are blacked out where I live). It seemed to me that either because of the annoyance of the contstant pressure, or he was really getting fatigued, but he was having more less stand out games toward the end of the season.

Hopefully next year everyone will come back healthy and strong and ready to make a run at the WS again.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:39 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I honestly never saw how they deserved it. They got lucky because of the single wild-card game against the Braves. If that wasn't implemented, they never would have made it to the playoffs.

Mind you; I am a Washington/Baltimore fan but that notion was made way before the playoffs even began. Guess what happened during the series was coincidence, lol.
What is your point? The single wild game was implemented and the Nationals were waiting for either team. I am a Nationals fans as well but I am not going to be in denial. The fact remains, the Cardinals clinched a playoff spot by obtaining the second wild card position and made the best of it. The Nationals lost Game 2 and 3 by a total score of 20-4 after taking Game 1. Nationals also took a early 6-0 lead in Game 5 and needed just one more out to take the series. The Cardinals marched their way back to tie the game and took control. The Braves knew they had only one game, at home and they blew it with their own mistakes.

The Cardinals took advantage of opportunities given to them and found a way to win. Nationals failed to do that. They had home field-advantage and even got a win on the road and still came up short. They had all the momentum going in Game 5. There is no way around that. We all knew at the beginning of the season that a second team could obtain a wild-card spot. What we don't know is how that team will make use of it?

Nationals have nothing to be ashamed of. No one picked them to win the NL East let alone have the best record in the league. They had a great season but St. Louis was clearly the better team of the two, regardless how they got in the post-season.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:15 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
What is your point? The single wild game was implemented and the Nationals were waiting for either team. I am a Nationals fans as well but I am not going to be in denial. The fact remains, the Cardinals clinched a playoff spot by obtaining the second wild card position and made the best of it. The Nationals lost Game 2 and 3 by a total score of 20-4 after taking Game 1. Nationals also took a early 6-0 lead in Game 5 and needed just one more out to take the series. The Cardinals marched their way back to tie the game and took control. The Braves knew they had only one game, at home and they blew it with their own mistakes.

The Cardinals took advantage of opportunities given to them and found a way to win. Nationals failed to do that. They had home field-advantage and even got a win on the road and still came up short. They had all the momentum going in Game 5. There is no way around that. We all knew at the beginning of the season that a second team could obtain a wild-card spot. What we don't know is how that team will make use of it?

Nationals have nothing to be ashamed of. No one picked them to win the NL East let alone have the best record in the league. They had a great season but St. Louis was clearly the better team of the two, regardless how they got in the post-season.
well said

Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
That last game was rough to watch with the Nats blowing the lead (or the Cards clawing their way back, whichever way you want to characterize it). But the fact remains that this was a breakout season for the Nats. Some of their accomplishments:

1. First winning season
2. First playoff berth
3. First NL East Title
4. First wins in the playoffs
4. Highest attendance since they moved to Nationals Park (second best since they came to DC)
5. Raised public profile and increased merchandise sales

With a lot of talented young players the Nationals have a chance to be competitive for many years to come. I would have liked to have seen them go further in the post-season, but when you look at where this franchise was three years ago the progress has been amazing. Great season and I'm already looking forward to spring training!

Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
Sorry for the late response guys, I had to check into the ER after that traumatic experience last Friday night. Don't worry, I'm okay now, in fact I think I've already blocked it out of my memory. In my mind's alternate universe, we got that 3rd out and won that game 7-5 and are now playing the Giants in the NLCS. Don't anybody tell me what the actual reality is or I'll have to check myself into the ER again

Old 02-15-2013, 10:14 AM

I hope all the Nats fans have recovered from that brutal final loss of the season and have been able to focus on what a fantastic overall season it was for the Nats. By far the best of their tenure in DC. With their first winning season, first trip to the playoffs, first division championship, and first win for Teddy. Hopefully they can make a return to the postseason for Davey Johnson's probable last season as manager.

In the offseason I hated to see Michael Morse go, but the addition of Denard Span in center field and as leadoff hitter should help a lot. Dan Haren will replace Edward Jackson in the pitching lineup. The other big additions are Rafael Soriano as closer and of course William H. Taft as the newest racing president.

Go Nats!!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I hope all the Nats fans have recovered from that brutal final loss of the season and have been able to focus on what a fantastic overall season it was for the Nats. By far the best of their tenure in DC. With their first winning season, first trip to the playoffs, first division championship, and first win for Teddy. Hopefully they can make a return to the postseason for Davey Johnson's probable last season as manager.

In the offseason I hated to see Michael Morse go, but the addition of Denard Span in center field and as leadoff hitter should help a lot. Dan Haren will replace Edward Jackson in the pitching lineup. The other big additions are Rafael Soriano as closer and of course William H. Taft as the newest racing president.

Go Nats!!
Less than a week until Opening Day! I won't be there for that one, but I already have tickets for the game on the 13th against the Atlanta Braves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball