Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:04 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times

Advertisements

Oh my goodness, what a flood of memories from this question.

For me absolutely there is one. Cant remember the year. It was the last game of the season.

Curt Young on the mound.

26 consecutive outs - yep - perfect game on the line.

Batter 27 comes to the plate, hits a high chopper to Carney Lansford. No question. It was a hit, Not a cheap one really. Just not the way one would hope a no hitter is broken up.

The whole stadium sighed in unison. Then we all stood up and applauded a great pitching performance. 26 and 2/3's innings of perfect ball. Batter 28 made an out.

OMG!!!!!!!

2nd place? As a kid in maybe 1963 hearing on the radio Juan Marichal versus Warren Spahn - both pitchers pitched 18 innins of shutout baseball. Game won by the giants when Joey Amalfitano hit a bottom of the 18th home run and the Giants and Marichal won 1-zip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 02:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Game 6 of the 1986 Mets and Astros playoffs. . . Billy Hatcher came up to bat with the tie or winning run on base, Keith Hernandez goes to the mound and warns Orosco that he better not throw him a fast ball otherwise he was going to kick his arse, lol. . .Mets win after a 5 and a half hour 15 or 16 inning game score 7 to 6 . . . .Simply Amazin’
As far as games I didn't attend, that would be the one. Even moreso than the Buckner game.

I don't think any year has topped 1986 for great playoff series. All three were dripping with drama.

As for games I did attend, easy choice: Reds v. Pirates Wild Card game. Nothing like it in the history of Pittsburgh. Full house letting go of 20 years of frustration.
Cueto dropping the ball with the Cue-to chant going full bore then giving up an HR to Martin on the next pitch. It was insane.

In a close 2nd was
the Todd Pratt game. We were in LF and nobody knew for a few seconds whether Finley had caught it or not. Then it was pandemonium.

Yes, I was a lifelong Mets fan who moved to Pittsburgh in 2002... and when the Mets got all prima donna in 2005-7 and choked away some pennants, I adopted the underachieving Bucs.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:21 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
1977 World Series, Game 6. Reggie Jackson. Three swings, three dingers. The Dodgers Steve Garvey said later, "I was applauding inside my glove."

Old 10-10-2014, 04:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
They say you never forget your first.

Chicago White Sox at Seattle Mariners, August 8, 1995

We sat in the club level, 1st base side of the Kingdome. Attendance in the box score above says 16,000 were there, I swear that I have a newspaper clipping that put it in the 9,000 range. Looking at the box score now, the names in it, my god, so many good names. I still have the ticket stub and magazine from that night.

This was the Griffey-less 1995 Mariners (he had a broken left arm from a jumping catch into CF fence), this is the team that went on to Refuse to Lose, win a one game playoff against the Angels, beat the Yankees in 5 in the ALDS (The Double), and make it to the ALCS where they eventually lost in 6 to an incredible Indians team.

It was Andy Benes' Mariners debut, which was a pretty big deal at the time. Lance Johnson hit a leadoff home run for the Sox. It was 5-0 Sox by the middle of the 4th. Then, Jay Buhner hit a grand slam. The heights and distances of the home runs were nothing like I had seen before. Every hit echoed in that dome. I loved that place.

Anyway, it was 9-9 entering the bottom of the 9th. Roberto Hernandez was pitching for the Sox. Alex Diaz walked, and stole second. Doug Strange walked. Joey Cora came up and hit a single right up the middle, the throw home was too late to catch a sliding Alex Diaz, and the Mariners WIN.

I had never seen anything so exciting in my entire life. Been hooked ever since.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:53 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I've been to a lot of MLB games all across the country but to only one playoff game! It just so happened to be my first and only MLB playoff game... it was Game 2 of the 2007 ALDS - Indians vs Yankees at Jacob's Field.

THE BUG GAME!

Carmona vs Chamberlain. The game was awesome for fans because none of the fans had any bugs on us but all the players in the infield did. So, we really were just in a theatre watching all of the theatrics in front of us. The Yankees players - especially A-Rod and Jeter made the biggest fuss about the bugs. We boo'd the Yankees everytime they sprayed themselves with the bug spray. It was a really great time - especially since we won 2-1!

I purchased my tickets from a lady on E. 9th street for 90 dollars for 2 tickets in the upper deck between home plate and 1st base on the day of the game and went with my then-fiance (now my wife)

I've since moved away from Cleveland and am eagerly awaiting for the Athletics to return to playoff glory. (I think that will be next season) so I can attend my next playoff game.
This one ^

I went with my son who was 7 years old at the time. We took a day off of school and drove up from VA for the game. I remember it was HOT for an early October game in Cleveland. The place was LOUD and I have an awesome picture of him screaming after the Tribe won on Hafner's hit! A great time!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:39 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
I have a few. Both related to the Angels.

The first was game 5 of the 2002 ALCS. Twins vs Angels at Angels' Stadium. Adam Kennedy hit 3 home runs in the game. The Angels were trailing 5-3 going into the bottom of the 7th inning. In the bottom of the 7th the Angels scored 10 runs and ended up beating the Twins 13 to 5 and taking the AL pennant. Two weeks later the Angels were World Series Champions.

The other game was Nolan Ryan's last appearance in Anaheim Stadium (as a Texas Ranger): September 17, 1993. Over 60,000 fans went to the game to say good bye to one of the best pitchers ever. The stadium was very loud that Friday evening and the Angels fans would cheer after Ryan would strike out an Angel. When Ryan was taking out of the game the fans went back to cheering on the Angels. The Halos beat the Rangers 2-1. Chuck Finley pitched a great game!

Cheers.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:25 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,460,587 times
Being a lifelong Cubs fan, my favorite baseball moment was making the pilgrimage to Wrigley for the first time. However, the game itself was terrible as the Cubs lost to Barry Bonds and the Pittsburgh Pirates 13-3. It got so bad the Cubs sent in their outfielder, Doug Dascenzo, to pitch. He pitched a scoreless inning and was definitely the Cubs' best pitcher that day.

The most memorable game I witnessed in person was on Sunday, April 19th, 1987 (Easter Sunday). It was a Brewers-Rangers game, and the Brewers were off to a hot start and were undefeated (11-0) at the time. This was a few days after Juan Nieves had pitched a no-hitter, and there was an exciting buzz in the air mixed with the intoxicating aroma of beer and brats.

The Rangers were ahead, 4-1, in the bottom of the 9th, and the fans seemed to be resigned to the idea that this was going to be the first loss of the season. The heart of the order (Glenn Braggs, Greg Brock, and Cecil Cooper) were due up for the Brewers and they were going up against Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams (who I would become a fan of later when he joined the Cubs). Braggs drew a walk, Brock singled to center, advancing Braggs to 2nd, and Cooper flied out to CF. With one out, the Rangers brought in Greg Harris. All or nothing (he seemed to either strike out or hit a HR) Rob Deer stepped up to the plate and hit a towering shot over the fence in very deep left field tying the game at 4-4. It was the furthest HR I had ever seen. It was also his 2nd HR of the game. Everyone in County Stadium went nuts as this preserved the perfect season. The next batter, BJ Surhoff, struck out. Jim Gantner walked. And Dale Sveum, a future Cubs manager, came to the plate, worked a full count, and hit a walkoff HR to right-center into the bullpen to win it. The place was electric and you just got the feeling that the "Brew Crew" were invincible that season.

However, despite winning their first 13 games of the season, they didn't make it to the playoffs. In May, they lost 12 games in a row. Even so, it was an incredible year with Paul Molitor hitting safely in 39 straight games threatening Joe Dimaggio's record. He batted .353 that season. It was a great time to be in Milwaukee and to be a Brewers fan.

Last edited by maniac77; 10-16-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 01:38 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
I've mentioned my most unforgettable game previously, that was one between two teams, neither of which I rooted for, and was watched on TBS.

The best game I attended where I had a rooting interest was May 2nd, 1995, Dodgers visiting at Candlestick.

Hideo Nomo started for the Dodgers, his ML debut, there was as yet no "Nomo-Mania", that would evolve as the year went on and he finished 19-9. Mark Portugal started for SF. Nomo lasted five innings, started to show some control problems and was replaced despite having giving up no runs. Portugal pitched shutout ball through the 7th. Then the relievers took over, each team would wind up using eight pitchers in the game. The Giants mounted a threat in the 6th, but could not score. The Dodgers had threats in the 8th and 9th, but failed to score.

On the game went into extra innings with neither team mounting anything which resembled a rally. Then in the top of the 15th, the first two Dodgers went down easily. After that the dam burst. Single, single, double run scores, double two more runs score.

So now it is 3-0 in the bottom of the 15th. The crowd had been conspicuously small for a Dodger-Giant game, but this was the season after the strike and fans were not turning out in large numbers. The attendance was 16,000 and a handful and I would estimate that half of them had already left before the 15th started. After the Dodgers racked up their three runs, half of those left also departed. My friend and I discussed leaving, but then reasoned that with so many gone and so few left, there would be no traffic problems exiting, so what the hell, stay to the bitter end.

The first two Giants were retired in the bottom of the 15th and we were packing up our stuff and getting ready to head for the parking lot when the 3rd string utility catcher, Jeff Reed, kept things alive by drawing a walk. Okay, well, we'll hang around for the formality of the end...then Darren Lewis singled...bringing up Robby Thompson who hit the ball into the right field stands to tie the game.

Then Barry Bonds hit a ball deep in the hole behind second base and beat it out for a single. Matt Williams came up and smashed a double off the wall in left field, Bonds coming all the way around from first to score the winning run, just beating the throw. The few thousand of us left went nuts.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:43 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
1991 World Series Game 7. The Jack Morris Game. 10 inning shutout win over John Smoltz.

Also the 1987 Series Game 7, where the Twins won their first title.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:50 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Game 6 of the 1986 Mets and Astros playoffs. . . Billy Hatcher came up to bat with the tie or winning run on base, Keith Hernandez goes to the mound and warns Orosco that he better not throw him a fast ball otherwise he was going to kick his arse, lol. . .Mets win after a 5 and a half hour 15 or 16 inning game score 7 to 6 . . . .Simply Amazin’
For a single game I think I'd have to choose Game 6 of the WS that year when Buckner booted Mookie Wilson's ground ball But for a series I think the Mets/Astros that year was one of the best, most entertaining series I've ever watched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball