Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:40 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times

Advertisements

Overall: Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS. It was looking bleak and I thought the Sox were done. I shut off the game in the 8th inning, went out for a drive to avoid campus and all the Yanks fans. Turns out Boston tied the game late, but didn't know it until a couple hours later. Got pulled over by the cops for speeding around 12:30 am, turned on the game to find out it was in extra innings and then Boston finally won.

That I been to: was at a game where Aaron Heilman threw a one hitter for the Mets against Florida in 2005. Coulda been a no-no if it wasn't for a poorly fielded grounder hit by Luis Castillo.

Honorable mention: a game vs. Tampa Bay last September that got ended in the top of the 6th inning due to heavy rain. There was a long rain delay to start, then got a few dry innings in before the rains started to fall again. Started coming down harder by the 5th, but everyone was pressing on just to get the game official. For some reason they started the 6th, but Evan Longoria overslid second base after a double starting the inning - and that was the end of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:26 PM

192 posts, read 436,073 times
Game 3 of the 2008 World Series in Philly. Went through a lot of effort to obtain tickets the week before while I was still in Houston. My elation upon receiving said tickets was almost immediately tempered by weather concerns - I still remember my wife saying to me "my mom [who lives in S. Jersey] says it's supposed to rain that weekend" - uh oh. I hadn't even considered the weather. Not a big deal if I was still living in Philly, but a major problem as an ex-plant just flying in for the weekend - I would not have been able to go to the game if it was postponed.

The weather-related stress of course lasted that entire week, up until the start of the game (adding to the stress was the "are these tickets I bought off the internet real?" stress, not to mention the "oh crap - Jaime Moyer is our starting pitcher" stress). I remember taking the train to the stadium, and it was still pouring. The game was ultimately was delayed a couple hours - I remember a lot of people passed the time by watching a Penn State-Ohio State football game on the stadium monitors. The crowd was actually very tame by Philly standards - I suspect the high price of WS tickets weeded out a lot of the usual riff-raff, for better or for worse.

The Phillies carried a 1 run lead into the 8th, blew it, and then won on a walk-off swinging bunt by Carlos Ruiz - insanity ensued. As my wife and I giddily exited down a ramp, where for the first time we could hear each other speak, we simultaneously exclaimed to each other, "that was totally worth it!" I think it was around 2 AM, freezing cold, and I had just experienced the greatest first-hand sporting event of my life.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:54 PM

630 posts, read 1,873,933 times
The Mick hits two of his final dingers off Jim Merritt in a decaying Yankee stadium with 4,000 of my closest friends,summer of '68,and Tom Terrific almost goes perfect against the fast fading Cubs,save for a bloop single by Jimmy Qualls,that one occured during the magical '69 season,within a week or two of man landing on the moon,great days to be alive,indeed!!!!

Old 08-01-2010, 04:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Very easy question, being at both parts of Game 5 during the nearly 48 hour rain delay of the 2008 WS. Leading to my happiest moment as a baseball fan. The Phillies winning the WS.

The last 3 innings after the delay were personally the most exciting and anticipated innings of my life. The delay had the odd effect of somehow increasing the intensity.

Although two that are sentimental from my youth:

1- Being at the beach with my grandfather as a little child and listening to his AM radio and the voices of Harry Kalas (Baseball to me will always be to the soundtrack of Harry's voice, I can still close my eyes and think of baseball and it is his voice I hear) and Whitey(Richie Ashburn). May all three (Harry, Whitey, and My Grandfather) RIP.

2- The old Vet with my father, I guess this is just special, as bad as the old Vet was somehow the simple things like learning to keep score made it special, thanks Dad!

Last edited by kidphilly; 08-01-2010 at 04:41 AM..

Old 08-01-2010, 04:49 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Sorry for the double post but after I wrote this I had to look this up, this kind of ties a lot of my fondest memories of baseball all together.

YouTube - harry kalas and wheeler

The little smile after the annoucement of the WS win is amazing, so glad he got to do this before his unfortunate passing.

Last edited by kidphilly; 08-01-2010 at 05:48 AM..

Old 08-01-2010, 01:38 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
... Being at the beach with my grandfather as a little child and listening to his AM radio and the voices of Harry Kalas (Baseball to me will always be to the soundtrack of Harry's voice, I can still close my eyes and think of baseball and it is his voice I hear) and Whitey(Richie Ashburn). May all three (Harry, Whitey, and My Grandfather) RIP.....
We Orioles fans know that feeling, in our case it was Chuck Thompson who called games for the Orioles (and the Baltimore Colts). His mellow voice was awesome and when the O's did something amazing his famous lines were:
- Go to war Miss Agnes!
- Ain't the beer cold!

s/Mike
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:34 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Sorry for the double post but after I wrote this I had to look this up, this kind of ties a lot of my fondest memories of baseball all together.

YouTube - harry kalas and wheeler

The little smile after the annoucement of the WS win is amazing, so glad he got to do this before his unfortunate passing.
I grew up in Philly listening to By Saam and Bill Campbell broadcast Phillies games. Used to hang my transistor radio (AM only) from the handlebar of my bike and listen to the Saturday day game, and the Sunday doubleheaders.

One of my fondest baseball memories was when I finally got a chance to go down to spring training in 1991, and went to a game at Jack Russell Stadium in Clearwater, FL.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:08 AM

30 posts, read 75,349 times
Mets v Brewers at Miller Park.

Scoreless up until the 9th. Yovani Gallardo strikes out the Mets last at bat, and it goes to the Brewers. Finally, it gets to 2 outs and Corey Hart is at the plate, with a runner on base. It's 2 strikes, and finally Corey hits a 2 run homer. Brew Crew wins!

Best game I ever went to

Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Quote:
Very easy question, being at both parts of Game 5 during the nearly 48 hour rain delay of the 2008 WS. Leading to my happiest moment as a baseball fan. The Phillies winning the WS.

The last 3 innings after the delay were personally the most exciting and anticipated innings of my life. The delay had the odd effect of somehow increasing the intensity.
Same for me. The day before the game I emptied my entire savings account for tix on stub hub (I was broke), and got amtrak tickets from DC to back to Philly and surprised my dad.

I actually had to get back to DC for a meeting the morning that they resumed play, but my dad picked me up at 30th street and we got back to the stadium with an hour to spare.

That rain delay was agonizing, and the crowd on the second night was ready to explode before the first pitch.

We were in the very top row, literally against the concrete wall, but when Lidge struck out Hinske, I remember it like a slow motion close-up.

Best money I ever spent.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
For me, it's a close call between game 4 of the 2004 ALCS and game 4 of the 2004 WS. I'd probably say game 4 of the ALCS as it started the most amazing comeback in MLB playoff history. Game 4 of the WS was almost a foregone conclusion but watching the final out still gets me choked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball