Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 03:06 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

I went by the new TGIF at Mondawmin.. Nice restaurant that is sorely needed in that part of town dominated by take out joints and fast food.. Granted TGIF is more "upscale" fast food when compared to McDonalds which would have taken up residence at that location in a heartbeat.. but the Mall Owners wanted something better for the community. Even if you arent a fan of TGIF... I just went to get a beer and watch the Ravens' continual slide into obscurity...I hope it can survive.. One tell tale sign that the owners know that the summers along that stretch is home for the 12 o'clock boys and could pose a problem should they get out of hand is the sign on several spaces that read. the'RESERVED FOR BPD' and in fact there is usually a crew of them in there.... But hey if Target can make it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 04:59 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times
Thanks for the info! Now I have an excuse to take MTA over there.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Thanks for the info! Now I have an excuse to take MTA over there.

Yeah.. its worth it fairly large and friendly staff. There are alot of folks over there from NW Baltimore . When I was there groups of men and their wives decked out in Ravens gear where there enjoying the game.. no different than what you would find anywhere else or in the Counties. It has only been open less than a month but appears to already have regulars and that 'Cheers' atmosphere where everyone knows everyone else.. Manager was very friendly interacted frequently with patrons..... This is a total 180 from what some people that assume that everything is all thugged out . Again, I hope it stays that way.. I suspect that it will

Old 10-28-2015, 11:25 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
LOL! "I hope it survives!" That is funny!!!

Seriously.....

You know black folks in Baltimore can't keep stuff together...clean, civil, honest and non-violent (yeah, I said it!!). I have empirical evidence to back up such a statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I went by the new TGIF at Mondawmin.. Nice restaurant that is sorely needed in that part of town dominated by take out joints and fast food.. Granted TGIF is more "upscale" fast food when compared to McDonalds which would have taken up residence at that location in a heartbeat.. but the Mall Owners wanted something better for the community. Even if you arent a fan of TGIF... I just went to get a beer and watch the Ravens' continual slide into obscurity...I hope it can survive.. One tell tale sign that the owners know that the summers along that stretch is home for the 12 o'clock boys and could pose a problem should they get out of hand is the sign on several spaces that read. the'RESERVED FOR BPD' and in fact there is usually a crew of them in there.... But hey if Target can make it....

Last edited by Infinite_heights77; 10-28-2015 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-29-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
LOL! "I hope it survives!" That is funny!!!

Seriously.....

You know black folks in Baltimore can't keep stuff together...clean, civil, honest and non-violent (yeah, I said it!!). I have empirical evidence to back up such a statement.

Lets hope this is the exception to what you are describing rather than the rule. Applebee's up on Reisterstown Road seems to be doing very well and I havent heard of any problems...TGIF issue is going to be some of the Sunday in the Park Cruisers or 12 o'clock Boys locking down their parking lot and scaring away paying customers or a drunk patron running into conflict with someone from one of these groups and it ending badly. I dont believe that BPD nor Mall Mgt will allow that to happen.. so let the game of wills begin and we will see who wins.....

Old 11-13-2017, 11:29 AM

Default Target to Leave Mondawmin

Sad to see it go.. I don't know what they can get to replace it.. A movie theatre and bowling alley have been tossed around.. I just don't know if either would be economically viable and may require significant retrofit.. (ie. Movie Theatre)

Shoppers surprised, disappointed by Target closure at Mondawmin Mall in West Baltimore - Baltimore Sun

Old 11-14-2017, 04:58 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Sad to see it go.. I don't know what they can get to replace it.. A movie theatre and bowling alley have been tossed around.. I just don't know if either would be economically viable and may require significant retrofit.. (ie. Movie Theatre)

Shoppers surprised, disappointed by Target closure at Mondawmin Mall in West Baltimore - Baltimore Sun
There has been talk that the store lost several million dollars in revenue from thefts, but nothing has been published about it as of yet.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:56 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
There has been talk that the store lost several million dollars in revenue from thefts, but nothing has been published about it as of yet.
Mondawmin. Where the riots were born. This wouldn't surprise me at all. It's sad that a relative handful of bad apples spoils the entire bunch, and makes it so the decent people can't have nice things. But then again, if the "community" were more supportive of the police, instead of jeering them and sticking cameras in their faces and crying "racism" every time they tried to catch a bad guy, maybe they could have kept things more under control, and Target would have been able to remain in business.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Mondawmin. Where the riots were born. This wouldn't surprise me at all. It's sad that a relative handful of bad apples spoils the entire bunch, and makes it so the decent people can't have nice things. But then again, if the "community" were more supportive of the police, instead of jeering them and sticking cameras in their faces and crying "racism" every time they tried to catch a bad guy, maybe they could have kept things more under control, and Target would have been able to remain in business.

Its truly unfortunate and no matter what is said..it will be certainly hard to replace..if a Big Lots or Shoppers World go in there.. it will certainly help but not replace the notoriety of a Target. I am surprised that they didn't simply consider downsizing to a smaller footprint i.e. a Neighborhood Target as opposed to closing all together. Maybe a Dave and Busters... that would draw in folks from far and wide...but that is likely a pipe dream

As far as the riots go..there is no excuse for bad behavior.. I have been told by several folks that involved in trying to tamp down the events of that day that BPD and City Schools PD made a bad situation worse..Better coordination, staggered release...study hall until parents can come and busing some of the kids out of the area to transit stops were options...Would it have diffused the situation? Who knows... but the release "in mass" when there was evidence that there were bad actors ready cause mayhem and not being prepared was even worse....

Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
I went to the Target a few times and every time I went I was also approached and hustled for something. This isn't anything new in Baltimore but I never experienced this at any other target. Of course I was approached for money and stokes, but I would even get hustled in the store. One day some man tried to sell me cologne in the electronics section. He wouldnt let up just constantly kept telling me common man... I seriously think he just picked items from the shelf and tried selling them to customers on the low...

Big Lots has done very well in Northern VA... But if theft is the issue for Target leaving, won't every store have the same issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore