Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 10:44 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You are right when saying "the power/weight ratio..." There are numerous EVs that are relatively light, including some of the Tesla models. Also about the Mazda Iconic SP.

But if Mazda would produce such a concept car, make it "sporty" like the Corvette Stingray (for example), and still keep the price below $50,000, it would attract a lot of customers, because it is a good-looking car. The Stingray is a lot more powerful, but it costs around $82,000. Anyway, the technical aspects of this hybrid car (Iconic SP) sounds very interesting. I feel the same way about the 2025 Ram 1500,. at least about the use of electric motors for propulsion.

I am assuming that other automobile manufacturers will come-up with their own hybrid versions in the future. This is a market forecast, so take it with a grain of salt
https://www.mordorintelligence.com/i...vehicle-market
I used to share this enthusiasm for a rotary engine range extender: https://www.city-data.com/forum/auto...l#post60630536

It got tempered when Mazda released the MX-30 first without the rotary range extender though with parts arranged under the hood in a way that was looking to accommodate something else (the rotary extender). The problem with that was the battery capacity and range versus the price of the vehicle without the rotary engine was not competitive at all. After the MX-30 with the rotary range extender came out, it seemed to confirm those suspicions as it was not price or performance competitive despite Mazda having such a long history with the rotary engine. After that, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised but am no longer expecting this to work out very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 12:40 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
The problem with the diesel engine is the DPF, DEF, EGR, perception, dieselgate, etc....

Total diesel sympathizer here too...I love my diesel Jetta and recognize this country runs on diesel but in a passenger car....it's deader than ever :/

I have 3 vehicles on diesel: MH class A, Wrangler, BMW335d (tuned and removed all control) and still miss the A3 and Passat (they paid me more than new when I traded back 3 years later).

As long as diesel is an option, it will always be my first one

Old 04-03-2024, 07:51 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I used to share this enthusiasm for a rotary engine range extender: https://www.city-data.com/forum/auto...l#post60630536

It got tempered when Mazda released the MX-30 first without the rotary range extender though with parts arranged under the hood in a way that was looking to accommodate something else (the rotary extender). The problem with that was the battery capacity and range versus the price of the vehicle without the rotary engine was not competitive at all. After the MX-30 with the rotary range extender came out, it seemed to confirm those suspicions as it was not price or performance competitive despite Mazda having such a long history with the rotary engine. After that, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised but am no longer expecting this to work out very well.
You could be right, of course. But while I not very hopeful about the Mazda rotary engine, I believe that other engine manufacturers, including Toyota will improve the existing internal combustion engines. By improving, I am referring to engines with greater thermal efficiency, more compact, and lighter in weight, all coupled to electric motors to propel the car. However such an engine would still be fine without the use of electric motors, since the primary reason after reaching such degree of power (HP) is to burn cleaner. The problem is that the existing internal combustion engines that reach thermal efficiencies of 50% and greater are too expensive. For example, the Mercedes hybrid engine used in the AMG-ONE, or the F1 dual-turbo 6-cylinder hybrid engine that costs millions.

Old 04-04-2024, 03:15 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You could be right, of course. But while I not very hopeful about the Mazda rotary engine, I believe that other engine manufacturers, including Toyota will improve the existing internal combustion engines. By improving, I am referring to engines with greater thermal efficiency, more compact, and lighter in weight, all coupled to electric motors to propel the car. However such an engine would still be fine without the use of electric motors, since the primary reason after reaching such degree of power (HP) is to burn cleaner. The problem is that the existing internal combustion engines that reach thermal efficiencies of 50% and greater are too expensive. For example, the Mercedes hybrid engine used in the AMG-ONE, or the F1 dual-turbo 6-cylinder hybrid engine that costs millions.
Both Toyota and Honda use Atkinson cycle ICE engines in their hybrids. These have lower horsepower output per unit displacement than conventional Otto cycle engines, but are more efficient.

Likely the biggest routes of energy losses in a conventional ICE engine is heat loss. It is possible to convert heat to electrical power with relatively small, simple devices like a thermoelectric generator (TEG), and that could be advantageous in a hybrid vehicle. I found this 2020 paper and it indicates there are several automakers researching this very system. Unfortunately though, from what I got out of a quick scan, it sounds like while it will work and will improve efficiency, it won't make big gains, because the TEG is itself not very efficient.
https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/13/14/3742

Old 04-04-2024, 07:06 AM

366 posts, read 104,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I have 3 vehicles on diesel: MH class A, Wrangler, BMW335d (tuned and removed all control)
So basically you're saying you really want your vehicles to pollute as much as possible.

Old 04-04-2024, 05:37 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Both Toyota and Honda use Atkinson cycle ICE engines in their hybrids. These have lower horsepower output per unit displacement than conventional Otto cycle engines, but are more efficient.

Likely the biggest routes of energy losses in a conventional ICE engine is heat loss. It is possible to convert heat to electrical power with relatively small, simple devices like a thermoelectric generator (TEG), and that could be advantageous in a hybrid vehicle. I found this 2020 paper and it indicates there are several automakers researching this very system. Unfortunately though, from what I got out of a quick scan, it sounds like while it will work and will improve efficiency, it won't make big gains, because the TEG is itself not very efficient.
https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/13/14/3742
That is true. But in accordance to the article, the newer TEG systems are being designed for greater efficiency. The rest is left to internal combustion engine becoming more thermally efficient. Electricity itself, even after being greatly more efficient than an internal combustion engine used for propulsion, still dissipates in heat. Now, currently there are gasoline engines that reach a thermal efficiency slightly greater than 50%. Some of these engines turn excess heat from the turbos into electricity to power the battery. The problem is that if most the residual heat from an engine is used to produce electricity, there is a point of diminished return: for example, if there is not sufficient engine residual heat when driving in a cold environment, then there is not other option but to use resistive heat to keep the cab and occupants warm.

The bottomline is as follows: for the time being the use of hybrid engines is the only way to achieve greater driving ranges than with both an ICE and an EV. At the same time, the engine is curtailing "some" tailpipe emissions. If some day-long into the future-an extremely energy efficient internal combustion engine becomes a reality, then its power (HP) can be directly applied to the wheels, or to electrically power the motors with the aid of generators and a battery.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-04-2024 at 06:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive