Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 03:32 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I wanted to get into light off roading/weekend trips with kids. This would be a 3-4 hour drive from where we live. So the truck cant be a complete beater, neither can it be a $50k truck that will be only used few times a year.
I really wanted a 200 series Land Cruiser/LX570 but those are 30k for a 100k mile example. I know they are reliable and great but I think the prices are a bit nuts.
100 model Land Cruiser/ LX470, anything under 15k will have 250k miles and they rust like crazy from frame up.
I like those trucks, they are big, comfy, some have rear lockers, all have central locker, and their A/H Trac traction control simulates lockers front and back. They are great on highways too.

I was thinking Xterra, 4 runner or a Tahoe/Expedition.

After doing a bit of research, I think it would be better for prices to come down a bit more and have more savings towards this toy.
I already have a sedan for long trips and a convertible as a toy.

Any input is appreciated.
About 5 years ago we were in the market for a new car for my wife, and we test drove a new 4 runner TRD. Great rig, drove great. We were going to call later that week and seal the deal. $42,000

However 3 days later at work, my boss held his last staff meeting- he was retiring to Costa Rica so we asked "how's the planning going?"- He said all of his stuff that he can ship is all crated to go, but he had one more thing to sell prior to moving. His Nissan Xterra Pro-4. I asked "how many miles?" About 24,000. "How much?" Mmmmmm- $9K?

I said SOLD!!!

It's been a solid rig. We have 96K on the odo and it's been offroad quite a bit here in Montana. It's not as well equipped as a 4runner, it doesn't ride as nice, but it is capable and comfortable enough. They are cheaper than 4 runners but they have a durable 6cyl and transmission. We've had not one issue with ours.

I would recommend one on a short list for sure.

Last edited by Threerun; 04-02-2024 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 04:19 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Prior to the Xterra we had this beater- 1998 Jeep cherokee XJ

Honestly shouldn't have sold it, but it was the 'kid / trail rig' when the kids were driving. Stock 6cy had 255K on the ODO. Tough as nails, so-so comfort wise (stuffed with 33" tires what do you expect). I hear they are up there in price on the used market..

Old 04-02-2024, 04:42 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
I am leaning towards GX470. Price wise and capability wise it fits the bill.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:46 PM

12,375 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I am leaning towards GX470. Price wise and capability wise it fits the bill.
And there is nothing wrong with Toyota's (usual) reliability

Old 04-03-2024, 05:46 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Prior to the Xterra we had this beater- 1998 Jeep cherokee XJ

Honestly shouldn't have sold it, but it was the 'kid / trail rig' when the kids were driving. Stock 6cy had 255K on the ODO. Tough as nails, so-so comfort wise (stuffed with 33" tires what do you expect). I hear they are up there in price on the used market..
Every single person in Colorado had one in similar condition when I lived there 20 years ago. Many put spares on the roof.

A professional South American off-road group had their vehicles parked on campus one day, all were 90’s land cruisers (this was late 90’s/early 2000’s).

Old 04-03-2024, 09:28 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Personally, I'd go this route. A Polaris Xpedition ADV. Obviously you'd have to trailer it to where ever your destination was. I just cringe at the thought of driving the vehicle that has to get me home, offroad.

And unless you can wrench and Macgyver things on the fly, I'd steer clear of used vehicles. And if that is what you intend on though, make sure the vehicle is simple. That makes it easy to fix in the middle of no where if needed. G Wagons are cool and stuff, but not something I'd take into the woods or desert.

https://www.polaris.com/en-us/off-ro...rim=storm-blue

Old 04-03-2024, 11:06 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Light offroading is somewhat vague. It's possible you could do that in a Subaru.

But it appears ya want a rugged Toyota, so my suggestion would be that any old 4Runner should do. Of course a UZJ100 would be great, and shouldn't cost so much as you mentioned. I have a '97 LX 450. The problem with ALL Land Cruisers is that they're petro pigs. GX 470 would also be a solid choice, although they're a bit heavy on the electronics for my taste.

Old 04-04-2024, 04:34 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
About 5 years ago we were in the market for a new car for my wife, and we test drove a new 4 runner TRD. Great rig, drove great. We were going to call later that week and seal the deal. $42,000

However 3 days later at work, my boss held his last staff meeting- he was retiring to Costa Rica so we asked "how's the planning going?"- He said all of his stuff that he can ship is all crated to go, but he had one more thing to sell prior to moving. His Nissan Xterra Pro-4. I asked "how many miles?" About 24,000. "How much?" Mmmmmm- $9K?

I said SOLD!!!

It's been a solid rig. We have 96K on the odo and it's been offroad quite a bit here in Montana. It's not as well equipped as a 4runner, it doesn't ride as nice, but it is capable and comfortable enough. They are cheaper than 4 runners but they have a durable 6cyl and transmission. We've had not one issue with ours.

I would recommend one on a short list for sure.

I'm on my third Xterra Pro-4X now and am going to be sorely disappointed when it's toast and Nissan gave up making them. It's hauled tons of stuff on rutted backroads and driven through 18" of new snow. And it has a 6MT. The most capable vehicle I've ever owned.

Old 04-04-2024, 04:49 PM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Toyota Hi-Lux with a topper.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:13 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Toyota Hi-Lux with a topper.
Are you referring to the Terrorist package with the canvas topper and a couple of AK's? I went for a ride in the back of one of those one night. Not much room in that little box for 2 Gringos and a couple of Panamanian military men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive