Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 10:05 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think the hybrid era, a lame attempt at portraying a sport that flies tons of cars/equipment all around the world and consumes huge amounts of power running wind tunnels for hours and hours as 'green' is silly. If I had a say in the rules I'd eliminate hybrids, the rules mandated redline and any mandating number of cylinders and DRS to begin with. Ultimately I'd like to see some sort of displacement/weight Formula where some would opt for light cars with less HP than others who opt for heavier cars with more HP. I miss the days when the rebellious sorts built things like the 6 wheel Tyrrell and the infamous Brabham 'fan car'. I'd like to see innovation encouraged and not handcuffed by the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 05:39 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Um........wasn't F1 always this way? I watched as a teen in the 1990s with my dad (was watching on ESPN when Aryton Senna died........early weekend morning, IIRC) Back then I gave F1 the nickname "The parade of technology" because of how infrequent passing was and how the vibe was far more about technology vs. track than say........NASCAR......which about rubbing and drafting with other drivers, at least it was.

Honestly, I don't know these days. I don't follow motor sports closely anymore.

Old 11-17-2023, 06:52 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,807,609 times
The first practice at Las Vegas was a big dud. Within minutes of the practice starting a manhole cover came up and caused significant and costly damage to one of the cars.

They stopped practice for the day and sent the spectators, who paid $200 to watch, home.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
I've always like F1 for all the technology...they've always pushed the envelope. Haven't really followed it in years, though, sort of lost interest around 2015.

Here is an epic battle, I loved when they ran hard in the rain.

https://youtu.be/AnxUu36-uYw?si=wnqc5mhcRu1zbptj

Old 11-17-2023, 02:11 PM

287 posts, read 211,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The first practice at Las Vegas was a big dud. Within minutes of the practice starting a manhole cover came up and caused significant and costly damage to one of the cars.

They stopped practice for the day and sent the spectators, who paid $200 to watch, home.
As if that wasn't a big enough penalty, they just gave Sainz a 10-place grid penalty for taking a new battery pack, which exceeded his season's allocation. Which was damaged beyond repair by the track! At the 2nd to last race of the season! And stand by for a violation of the spending cap because the chassis, engine and battery pack are all beyond repair.

If this was the first time a car was damaged by inadequate track preps, I would accept it. But this kind of thing has happened at least twice since 2016. Maybe it should be a checklist item for a new track, before it's considered race-ready?

Old 11-17-2023, 04:54 PM

287 posts, read 211,618 times
Just caught up on the coverage and it's not a spending cap issue, but is definitely costing Ferrari a lot of money to replace almost the entire car: monocoque, engine, battery pack.

Old 11-17-2023, 05:25 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,807 times
I've been a F1 fan since the days of the beautiful cigar shaped cars running skinny tires on wire wheels. Yeah, I'm really old.

If I weren't such a fan of road course racing (of any kind), I'd probably quit watching. The current F1 cars are about the length and width of an F150. The car these days matters so much more than the driver. I wish they would get rid of the hybrid stuff.....and DRS is the worst. Having a system that gives a trailing car an extra 15 or so MPH over the car in front is silly. I know DRS was created in an effort to have more passing...but, except for the first 2 or 3 cars, it just creates a train of cars all with DRS active,

I feel the same way about the push to pass on Indy cars. If you want to pass the competition, build a faster car!

The opening ceremony at Miami was like a WWE event. I'm sure the drivers hate that crap. Max has said so and, although I've never been a fan of his, I like that he says he cares about the racing....not the show. The racing is THE show for true motorsport fans,

I can't believe the stewards penalized Sainz in Vegas for something that was neither his nor the teams fault. Their response that they had to follow the rules is a cop out. If that were the case Lewis would have been the 2021 champion instead of Max.

I suppose Vegas will be interesting to watch. Unfortunately I expect some carnage.....I hate temporary street courses, much preferring traditional road courses. That's why I've driven 4 hours to the Indycar races at Barber, but not the 3 hours to Nashville.

Old 02-01-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
It's more popular in the US than it ever was.

Because it's good racing or because it's loud, shiny, and has lots of celebrities prowling the pre-race grid?

Old 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,807 times
Well this year should make for some interesting stories...

How will Hamilton do in his final year for Mercedes? Same with Sainz for Ferrari....

Who will Mercedes sign to replace him for 2025? Sainz? Alonzo" Ocon? Albon? One of the development drivers - maybe even a female driver? Maybe Vettel if he decides to return to F1? Depending on who they choose there could be quite a bit of movement for 2025.

Yeah, I know a female driver is not going to happen. Vettel and Alonzo won't be picked....Merc will want a younger driver with more of a future. Whoever they choose will, for all practical purposes, be #2 to Russell - and he's still quite young.

I'm available, but I don't think Toto has my phone number...

Old 02-21-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Well this year should make for some interesting stories...

How will Hamilton do in his final year for Mercedes? Same with Sainz for Ferrari....

Who will Mercedes sign to replace him for 2025? Sainz? Alonzo" Ocon? Albon? One of the development drivers - maybe even a female driver? Maybe Vettel if he decides to return to F1? Depending on who they choose there could be quite a bit of movement for 2025.

Yeah, I know a female driver is not going to happen. Vettel and Alonzo won't be picked....Merc will want a younger driver with more of a future. Whoever they choose will, for all practical purposes, be #2 to Russell - and he's still quite young.

I'm available, but I don't think Toto has my phone number...

I think they're both true racers, given the right tools they'll both give it all they've got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing