Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 09:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,031,888 times

Advertisements

[quote=Luisito80;66630134]
Quote:

Same here. Quite frankly it was being abused.

Same situation here.
Yes lots of similarities. Turbo immigration as both our countries are experiencing, help maintain an illusion that the economy is going well, by GDP measurement, as keeps house prices high. I sometimes wonder if it is not the housing industry that dictates policy, through its influence over government at the expense of most others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 10:30 PM

2,388 posts, read 1,587,282 times
I was talking to the owner of an Aged Care facility and he was saying how they actively seeks Nepalese staff because they are excellent with the residents.

Having had both our mothers in facilities, I can totally understand this. For my mother with dementia, the Nepalese staff were like angels being sent to us.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I was talking to the owner of an Aged Care facility and he was saying how they actively seeks Nepalese staff because they are excellent with the residents.

Having had both our mothers in facilities, I can totally understand this. For my mother with dementia, the Nepalese staff were like angels being sent to us.
I wonder would those Nepalese be on two year contracts? In other words part of The Federal Governments Overseas Care Workers Scheme.

With this they receive fast track training , temporally housing , with the carrot being the ability to apply to remain in Australia after two years.

I would like to see just how many remain in the industry after the two years have passed. As most have some level of nursing training back in home country , probably fair to expect them to go on that and earn far more.

Probably a stop gap measure at best. But easy to see why those in the industry would applaud it. Retention rates being so low in the industry and those coming from Asia more compliant with conditions as see it as a means to an end.

Old 04-11-2024, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I wonder would those Nepalese be on two year contracts? In other words part of The Federal Governments Overseas Care Workers Scheme.

With this they receive fast track training , temporally housing , with the carrot being the ability to apply to remain in Australia after two years.

I would like to see just how many remain in the industry after the two years have passed. As most have some level of nursing training back in home country , probably fair to expect them to go on that and earn far more.

Probably a stop gap measure at best. But easy to see why those in the industry would applaud it. Retention rates being so low in the industry and those coming from Asia more compliant with conditions as see it as a means to an end.
Would they earn more in Nepal, even when qualified?
They well may be more compliant with conditions, but above all they were gentle and calm, which is a blessing with patients with dementia.
My kids went on various temporary visas and have worked in Canada, the US and the UK. Have chosen to return home. I cannot see any problem with people from developing countries doing the same as people from developed countries.
There is a Nepalese hub in Sydney about twenty minutes from us. I am not aware of any issues with the area at all.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Would they earn more in Nepal, even when qualified?
They well may be more compliant with conditions, but above all they were gentle and calm, which is a blessing with patients with dementia.
My kids went on various temporary visas and have worked in Canada, the US and the UK. Have chosen to return home. I cannot see any problem with people from developing countries doing the same as people from developed countries.
There is a Nepalese hub in Sydney about twenty minutes from us. I am not aware of any issues with the area at all.
Obviously the attraction is firstly money, closely followed by advantages offered by living in a developed nation. That hardly is confined to Nepalese or those from The Sub Continent. But we should be realistic. People from Nepal, India, Sri Lanka , Philippines will likely have no more desire to look after Australia's aged than are local born. It is the carrot of vastly greater opportunities that will avail themselves once the two year contract in Aged Care concludes. Nothing particurly wrong with that , but best accept it for what it is.

The best solution would be Aged Care to be paid well, which would allow greater self respect for those working in the industry along with a clearer career path.

Importing labour to fill the gaps in undesirable vocations only partly rectifies (short term) a situation not unique to Australia. But we should be honest with regards to the reasons,

I do not understand the relation between your kids going to Canada or UK, be that on WHV's or short term contracts. Both countries share similar conditions and values. Many tens of thousands of Aussies have in the past and no doubt will continue to do so in the future work in those countries as a rite of passage. Few remain. Big difference from those coming with the intent to remain and a considerable improvement in their economic fortune and what have you.

Indeed Canada has something akin to an Aussie 'ghetto' in Baniff. There A large young Aussie contingent , mostly on WHV's stay (usually short term) and work in the ski resorts.

Is forming ethnic hubs a good thing? It depends on the group involved of course. Crime and especially drugs can find a home as was the case in Sydney back in the 80's with Cabramatta (as an example) But I agree Nepalese are on the whole delightful people and don't blame them one bit for attempting to better their conditions.

The blame is found closer to home and the active encouragement of record immigration and the sort entering under the guise of immigrants or indeed International Students.

Old 04-12-2024, 01:28 AM

The relation between my kids going to work overseas, as so many do, is that I do not think we should exclude people from our country just because it may be more developed. Young people working in other countries should be applauded and it should not be a one way path.

My kids worked in the ski fields at Lake Tahoe and in Canada and had no intention of doing that as a career. The people who come from places like Nepal to fill shortages here may or may not stay. I have no problem with that. Even if the carers were paid the same as RNs, which they won’t be, most young people here will not seek a long term role in looking after people with dementia and other degenerative conditions.

The research I have seen indicates that our new migrants from Asia actually integrate more quickly than the post war ones from Europe, especially those who came from southern Europe, my husband’s family included.

Mostly because they have much higher language skills, without which integration is very difficult. The post war ones from southern Europe often had a low level of education, my MIL had no option but to leave school at twelve. That makes it a lot more difficult to learn another language competently. It was said at her funeral that had she been born in another time and place she would have probably been a lawyer or whatever.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
The relation between my kids going to work overseas, as so many do, is that I do not think we should exclude people from our country just because it may be more developed. Young people working in other countries should be applauded and it should not be a one way path.

My kids worked in the ski fields at Lake Tahoe and in Canada and had no intention of doing that as a career. The people who come from places like Nepal to fill shortages here may or may not stay. I have no problem with that. Even if the carers were paid the same as RNs, which they won’t be, most young people here will not seek a long term role in looking after people with dementia and other degenerative conditions.

The research I have seen indicates that our new migrants from Asia actually integrate more quickly than the post war ones from Europe, especially those who came from southern Europe, my husband’s family included.

Mostly because they have much higher language skills, without which integration is very difficult. The post war ones from southern Europe often had a low level of education, my MIL had no option but to leave school at twelve. That makes it a lot more difficult to learn another language competently. It was said at her funeral that had she been born in another time and place she would have probably been a lawyer or whatever.
What such a situation does IMO is to applaud lazy employers, or sectors that under pay, the ease to continue such practices. The onus should be on maintaining First World Standards. Be that in pay or indeed conditions.

Nothing wrong with a limited intake of migrants, but when sectors depend in immigration to survive, surely it is suggestive of serious issues within such an industry. It is not confined to the social sector, (aged care for example) but far more wide spread. The Police for example in WA , at least, are losing more people than recruiting into ranks. Surely an example of things not right in that area?

What research exactly may that be? The main difference from Post War Southern European immigrants, is the greater ability to speak English, often off higher social status, but hardly indicative of accepting traditional values . One tee shirt I read recently had written on it "We are not here to fit in. We are here to take over". Probably in jest and the owners were Irish , but some may think more akin to a reality of sorts , even if slightly exaggerated being conducted and applauded by those in position .

Old 04-15-2024, 09:01 AM

1,323 posts, read 565,393 times
Is this a sing of change in Australia in recent years?

The religion of peace strikes again.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Is this a sing of change in Australia in recent years?

The religion of peace strikes again.
The last high profile terrorist attack in Sydney was in 2014, at the Lintz Cafe in Martin Place but there have been other attacks in the country since then. So another event is not a change per se.

We have 320,000 people in Sydney who identified themselves as Muslim at the last census. 38,000 Jewish. 1,500,000 stated they had no religion. Along with many other religious identifications.

Overall people live in harmony but with the events happening overseas it is not surprising, though very regrettable, that events, such as last night’s, occur.

It is also very very sad for us in Sydney to have the two events (the other being the Westfield stabbing, unrelated to terrorism) happen within three days.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:27 PM

Quote:
The last high profile terrorist attack in Sydney was in 2014, at the Lintz Cafe in Martin Place but there have been other attacks in the country since then. So another event is not a change per se.

We have 320,000 people in Sydney who identified themselves as Muslim at the last census. 38,000 Jewish. 1,500,000 stated they had no religion. Along with many other religious identifications.

Overall people live in harmony but with the events happening overseas it is not surprising, though very regrettable, that events, such as last night’s, occur.

It is also very very sad for us in Sydney to have the two events (the other being the Westfield stabbing, unrelated to terrorism) happen within three days.
Religion is only one possible source of community disharmony. There are many other triggers. For example was The Bondi killings the result of an Incel impacted individual. It sounds like something along those lines being possible as the target was women in the main?

Do people live in harmony? Or more tolerate each other out of necessity? More tribal ? Large numbers of ethnicities forming and encouraged make this ever easier surely?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand