Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 04:03 AM

3,816 posts, read 3,026,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Not sure if hosting The Olympics with regards to Brisbane is a positive though? Perhaps an ego boost for some but at what cost?

I've read house prices there already are rivalling the bigger Southern cities, making yet another city increasingly unaffordable.

There are already tent encampments there and probably fair to say a general decline in living standards for many and increased crime levels.

The Olympics is only a two week event. Only cities have been left with debt and higher prices as a result.

But I once applauded such events, thinking the exposure worth the cost , so understand how any number may see it in the same light I once done. Hence is such a venture worth the cost?

I suspect the focus would be better cast over the coming three, six ten years to get a longer term view on where Australia is heading.? But the past three years does permit an indication for sure of the sort of direction we are heading in and just how desirable that is.

I'm uncertain as to the extent most care though. Short term thinking and gain seems quite probably the preferred stance.
Yes the Olympics is overrated.
As we saw in Sydney 2000, lots of hype, then overinflated real estate values and lots of white elephants left behind.
Brisbane and SEQ is already experiencing exponential population growth, it will all merge into one big mega city eventually, easily rivalling Sydney and Melbourne.
You only have to cross the border from NSW onto the Gold Coast to see where this is heading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 05:23 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,031,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Yes the Olympics is overrated.
As we saw in Sydney 2000, lots of hype, then overinflated real estate values and lots of white elephants left behind.
Brisbane and SEQ is already experiencing exponential population growth, it will all merge into one big mega city eventually, easily rivalling Sydney and Melbourne.
You only have to cross the border from NSW onto the Gold Coast to see where this is heading.
That surely cannot be a good thing? Just where did the policy of mega cities become such a norm, with barely a ripple of dissent?

We have had discussion on the need to reign in sprawling urban areas for sometime, but to ghettoise our cities? That does appear to be the likely result of mass population growth , which itself appears to be a non debatable policy adopted by all parties.?

It is hard to believe that The Greens are not contesting this as part of their policy, in order to maintain livable cities.

We are as a nation being let down badly on a number of fronts IMO. There is too little calling out issues impacting us as a nation and civil society.

Is /will Australia be a country worth living in? I think a fair question to pose with the changes that have been imposed on us, not over three years (though probably escalated over that time) but past twenty years?

Old 04-07-2024, 07:02 PM

1,233 posts, read 744,834 times
But the Greens need megacities to increase their representation in Parliament... as the last 2 Federal election results show

Old 04-07-2024, 09:02 PM

4,270 posts, read 4,939,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
But the Greens need megacities to increase their representation in Parliament... as the last 2 Federal election results show
Brisbane is a megacity?

Old 04-07-2024, 09:32 PM

Regardless of population, Brisbane attempts to portray itself in another light. A bit hard to pass off as a Mega city, of course, it simply isn't. But seems to enjoy the glitter and superficiality in how it presents itself . BrisVagas Really? Olympic Games? Seems to be a bit over reaching surely?

i

Old 04-08-2024, 03:19 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,302,373 times
Are you referring to how the Australian government turned that amazing country into a Totalitarian state in 2020? Yeah, I'd say a lot has changed. Things might be getting back to "normal," but just wait for the next big event. At least now you know what to expect.

Old 04-08-2024, 04:14 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,362,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Are you referring to how the Australian government turned that amazing country into a Totalitarian state in 2020? Yeah, I'd say a lot has changed. Things might be getting back to "normal," but just wait for the next big event. At least now you know what to expect.
Going by what was shown on US sourced news programs at the time, and what I've been told by folk who where were in the US in the COVID era, that country had almost as many restrictions as Aus did, except that they were not coordinated in any way and hence not really that effective.

The exception to that would be border control and quarantine for people entering the country, where Aus was much more in line with countries on the western Pacific. But with the collapse of international air travel in that era, inbound movement would have been steeply reduced anyway.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Going by what was shown on US sourced news programs at the time, and what I've been told by folk who where were in the US in the COVID era, that country had almost as many restrictions as Aus did, except that they were not coordinated in any way and hence not really that effective.

The exception to that would be border control and quarantine for people entering the country, where Aus was much more in line with countries on the western Pacific. But with the collapse of international air travel in that era, inbound movement would have been steeply reduced anyway.
I suspect what was heigh lighted by that episode was the power of government, on all levels to disrupt and exercise a degree of power of people's lives unwitnessed by most the population previously.

I'm sure various States in The USA introduced similar measures, as in UK, but surely it went further than that? More powers given to police with barely a murmur,( in surveillance etc) Less accountability or scrutiny over a range of measures . Power increasingly not held to account. Never a good look in a so termed democracy, regardless of the geographic location of place.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I suspect the 'turning' has been in motion for a good twenty years, in one form or another. The entry onto the scene of Covid, simply allowed extreme measures to be presented without too much scrutiny as a public health measure and get away with authoritarian like behaviour. (and be applauded by many for appearing to tough)

But to return to my original point, the excess of rules and regulations among a few other factors has changed this nation's psychic rather over the course of time. Not all perhaps for the worse, but neither for the good. My view is there will be little chance to wind the clock back, but we have yet to find a 'new normal'.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM

1,233 posts, read 744,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Brisbane is a megacity?
2.3million pop is reasonable by AU standards.... and in a few decades it will be suburbia all the way from the Sunshine Coast in the north to Ipswich in the west and the Gold Coast to the NSW border in the south....
Now that really is a scary prospect !

Oh and who would ever have thought the Greens could win a seat in parliament in Queensland of all places ?
Hell yeah Australia has changed !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand