Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 04:00 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times

Advertisements

Alright guys I'm looking at this as someone who has only been here a few years but one thing I noticed when I arrived here was the conflict regarding Australia day and the date it represents. Many people associate Australia day as being one about Colonial triumphanlism. Others see it as a day solely to Celebrate being Australia and it's culture.

I decided to have a read about this as I naturally was bias toward Australia day being celebrated but wanted to hear the other side. I just assumed those who wanted to change the date were like the Woke groups like BLM in the US that wanted to uproot Australian culture and create an atmosphere of shame rather than pride when thinking about the nation's we live in. While this might be true for some, after having a read about the date for Australia day I have to say it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. First of all it's not even about Australia. It's a day when the First British colony was established in New South Wales. This has no meaning to the rest of the states in Australia so why isn't Australia day celebrated to commemorate the day it became an independent nation?

Another thing. I kind of understand where many people are coming from especially Aboriginal people who call it invasion day. Celebrating Colonialism which brought about alot of pain and suffering to the Aboriginal people is quite brutal don't you think? Especially since the colonial mentality has nothing to do with what modern day Australia represents. The US doesn't celebrate the day it became a colony. It celebrates the day it became an independent nation for ALL. Would it be better if rather than celebrate the day New South Wales Colony was founded that instead we celebrate the day when Australia became an independent nation such as the 3rd of March which is the date Australia ceased to be a dominion of the UK and gained full independence?

One more thing. I was actually surprised at the number of Australians who didn't know what Australia day signified. It's no wonder they see those who want to change the date as a bunch of killjoys. I'd see many might be happy to move the date especially those outside NSW when they realize it has little to do with them and their states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 01:48 PM

376 posts, read 94,311 times
Waitangi Day has just been in New Zealand. Like Australia Day, it's mostly just people enjoying a day off, but the press only really focus on the protest that it a small part of the day.

I've heard the invasion day jeer here before, but it isn't relevant in New Zealand because people eating was such a big part of pre European life.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:58 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
There are a couple of issues which means any resolution is difficult. One is that probably the most appropriate day to celebrate would be the day of Federation, when all the colonies peacefully United to become Australia. But that was on the 1st January 1901 and New Years Day is already a public holiday.

Secondly, many people really like the holiday being at the end of January, as, at least in NSW it is at the end of the school holidays (many adults also taking their holidays then)

My own view is that if it causes such anguish, it should just be abandoned but not moved, and everyone have one extra day at work. But one can imagine the reaction of the workforce about that.

If we ever manage to become a republic, the Kings birthday holiday will be redundant and something will have to be done with that too. Then there is Easter, as the number of practicising Christians is small and declining. You will never please everyone with the issue of what we should celebrate with a public holiday.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:52 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
It's not really celebrating colonialism, I think that's part of the issue.

When you compare the bicentenary with what Australia Day looks like today its abundantly clear that the modern version has very little to do with celebrating the arrival of the First Fleet. I don't really care what day it is held on, but I think what is being celebrated – a modern, successful democracy – could be done on any day, which leaves you to ponder whether using a day that carries the baggage of colonisation is the best fit.

In the Americas they have mostly moved away from celebrating Columbus Day while not whitewashing it from history.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:13 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
At one time I would have probably echoed much of what the OP concluded. Now I am slightly more for retention of present date regardless of the original significance. It has become part of a tradition and no one has yet come up with an appropriate alternative date to replace the present.

There are so many practical issues that require addressing within The First Nation's Community, that changing the date, is akin to window dressing and does little to arrive at any solution to the real problems, which by the way have lingered, out of sight and mind across the decades. Change could be part at some stage of a wider outcome, but please refrain from gesture politics that are more for show and only get a tick from the politically motivated individuals from both sides, without tackling to really difficult problems that have been long with us.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:13 PM

376 posts, read 94,311 times
In part, Australia Day represents the day the Europe came to town - nothing wrong with that considering it's the most fundamental part of what made Australia the nation it is today.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:23 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
It's not really celebrating colonialism, I think that's part of the issue.

When you compare the bicentenary with what Australia Day looks like today its abundantly clear that the modern version has very little to do with celebrating the arrival of the First Fleet. I don't really care what day it is held on, but I think what is being celebrated – a modern, successful democracy – could be done on any day, which leaves you to ponder whether using a day that carries the baggage of colonisation is the best fit.

In the Americas they have mostly moved away from celebrating Columbus Day while not whitewashing it from history.
It is not a celebration of colonialism, unless of course one wants to frame it as such. Many things, using the right narrative can be used to justify many a position.

I would have thought, usually a day chosen to be a National Day, should have some historical connection with past events. If not, it could be termed as something other, for example Celebrate Diversity Day (with other bits added on) Not something I would any longer be overly supportive of.

The Americans, having fought for their independence , had far more choice in selecting a day, it could be argued.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:12 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
I have never seen it as a celebration of colonialism

If you want to look at everything from a certain historical perspective and pick and choose, you could also start arguing ANZAC day celebrates the day Australia launched and unucessfull invasion of Turkey, and Christmas day is the day we celebrate the birth of Jewish Criminal etc etc.

I will stand the line that the holiday Should be scrapped, and we should all work - Its largely what I do on the holiday these days anyway, way too much to catch up on after the mandatory Christmas office closure.

If the aborigionals want a holiday maybe the 27th May? That is the day the 1967 referendum was voted on, and offically put them under control fo the federal goverment rather than the states (Which is another alternatative way the history can be looked upon).

Old 02-07-2024, 06:44 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
It is not a celebration of colonialism
No, it's not today, but it was.

Here is 1988. What would you call this?

Now, I was in year 1 in 1988. We had a big school event in Centennial Park for all the schools in the eastern suburbs. You had to come dressed as a convict or a solider. A very different thing to how Australia Day is celebrated today.

Quote:
I would have thought, usually a day chosen to be a National Day, should have some historical connection with past events.
Which is Paddy's point. The date Australia was founded was January 1. If the national day is the day that was historically associated with celebrating the establishment of the colony in Sydney Cove then it will be always viewed through that prism by some people. That just seems pretty logical.

Quote:
The Americans, having fought for their independence , had far more choice in selecting a day, it could be argued.
And for better or worse the national day in Australia is Anzac Day.

Last edited by BCC_1; 02-07-2024 at 06:53 PM..

Old 02-07-2024, 06:44 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
If the truth be known, isn't Australia Day just another excuse for Australians to get p---ed with nary a thought for the reason behind the day? That said, since the head of state is still the King of England isn't it rather premature to be celebrating 'Australia Day' at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand