Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 03:42 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,993,610 times

Advertisements

As an 18 yo in 1988 the Bicentennial was a great festival, and there were constant adds on TV promoting it.
The celebration wasn’t over the top, and I certainly can’t remember any protests or problems.
I agree, it doesn’t celebrate colonialism at all.
No need to change the date, when the public holiday itself is at a great time of the year too.
As I’ve suggested in another thread, we can have a separate Reconciliation Day as a national public holiday as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 03:56 PM

4,217 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
As an 18 yo in 1988 the Bicentennial was a great festival, and there were constant adds on TV promoting it.
The celebration wasn’t over the top, and I certainly can’t remember any protests or problems.
Come now.

Quote:
On 26 January 1988, more than 40,000 people, including Aborigines from across the country and non-Indigenous supporters, staged what was the largest march in Sydney since the Vietnam moratorium. There were around a dozen buses of Victorian Aborigines among those congregated. The protesters marched through Sydney chanting for land rights. The march ended at Hyde Park where several prominent Aboriginal leaders and activists spoke, among them activist Gary Foley; 'Let's hope Bob Hawke and his Government gets this message loud and clear from all these people here today. It's so magnificent to see black and white Australians together in harmony.This is what Australia could and should be like.'

Old 02-08-2024, 04:09 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Quote:
I agree, it doesn’t celebrate colonialism at all.
No need to change the date, when the public holiday itself is at a great time of the year too.
As I’ve suggested in another thread, we can have a separate Reconciliation Day as a national public holiday as well.
I was at like my first week of the first year at boarding school. The "grots" as we were known did not have a Television.

Television been a privilege you obtained when you got older.

So i would have spent the whole day outside running around playing rugby or something, blissfully unaware of what was occruing in the outside world.

Now I think about it, I dont recall ever celebrtating Australia day outside the 3 I spent in the UK, my wife became an Australian Citizen on Australia Day 2023, so is suppose you could say thats a bit of a celebration.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-08-2024 at 05:26 PM..

Old 02-08-2024, 07:14 PM

Here's some video of the 1988 protests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPIo...channel=goori2

Old 02-09-2024, 10:12 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,993,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Here's some video of the 1988 protests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPIo...channel=goori2
I don’t remember any of this.
And I am all for Indigenous rights.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:15 PM

383 posts, read 95,347 times
I'm not for indigenous rights. They are the opposite of human rights.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:33 PM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
I'm not for indigenous rights. They are the opposite of human rights.
That's right. Equal human rights for all. This 'us and them' attitude that has taken priority in this country has to stop!

Old 02-12-2024, 09:10 PM

383 posts, read 95,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
That's right. Equal human rights for all. This 'us and them' attitude that has taken priority in this country has to stop!
Yes, the scabs have failed once to create a constitutional pecking order of race ... but they'll try again, and in a different way.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:50 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,944,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
But the us and them attitude doesn't begin and stop at race surely? I think race transcends issues around equality and human rights but may include features of it.

Old 02-16-2024, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I don’t remember any of this.
And I am all for Indigenous rights.
This is the issue I think. Firstly, indigenous opposition to Australia Day is long lived and deep rooted; it isn't a symptom of contemporary politics. Following on from that, while Australia Day in 2024 doesn't really have anything to do with colonisation it did historically and it still does for many (most) indigenous Australians.

I'm indifferent to it because I don't really think Australia Day is all that important, but I think it's hard to see it being considered the national day in the way Anzac Day is because of the historical context of it which is impossible to shake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand