Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 06:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

Where the hell is that? No-one has heard of it. This is a serious flood warning and no-one knows where the hell it is. No-one other than Adern and her cronies that is.

Actually, I googled it. It turns out to be the city in which I live. How about that. A 90 plus percent English speaking city and some strange name is sent out in an official flood warning. People have already died and lost their homes in this flood, yet they stuff around with agendas.
Yeah, get a bit fed up myself. There has always been name changes, but in my opinion this new level doesn't reflect a grass roots change, but rather a top down approach that stems from Labour adopting a open policy that NZ is essentially a Maori country, with non Maori only permitted in NZ of right via the treaty, and that we should all embrace Maori as our culture- say it often enough, and people will start to believe it .... I can see violence ahead if this path is followed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post

Far from perfect, but I suspect history will be far kinder to her than some of the remarks on this forum, where obvious political bias plays a role.
I see the opposite - her support in NZ owes much to her personality. Ask people for examples of economic management that have brought clear improvement, and the conversation slows down. Not blaming them for everything, but I'm seriously seeing a pattern of acting against established wisdom (with it's pros and cons) to embrace untried and poorly announced ideas.

It's at the constitutional/legal level where things have been become quite murky, and a clearer understanding is starting to emerge of very radical change, with poor consultation, low levels of notification, and using an outright majority to implement policies that were never mentioned in campaigning.

Labour have actually shown some genius on working on big projects, almost in secret, then dumping them on an unprepared public - also are very astute at downplaying big change through under reporting.... links in to the role of media imo.

I feel that the media has acted inappropriately much of the time with regards to reporting on her governance, and this itself may be linked to the " Ministry of Truth" approach this government has taken, with their open attempt to validate themselves as the ultimate arbiters of truth, via their questionable funding.

Last edited by Joe90; 01-29-2023 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 01:57 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
We are polar apart on this issue and by all indications likely to remain so. She did not fail to recognise the cost of living of crisis. She raised the income I seem to recall on the poorest couple of million of the population. As I have mentioned the housing fiasco is a worldwide thing. It is very bad in New Zealand , but she did attempt a move to slow rising prices.

We have it bad ion Australia. Close to impossible to obtain a rental and homeless increasing in number. Same in UK. Canada way over priced as are some USA states. EU over inflated in Denmark, Sweden ,Netherlands and Germany. A correction awaiting the market in those countries, if allowed.

Arden had limited ability to arrest rising prices without seriously crashing the market. She was criticked over the few measures she did take.

Far from perfect, but I suspect history will be far kinder to her than some of the remarks on this forum, where obvious political bias plays a role.
Yes she did fail to recognise the cost of living crisis when it took her until recent months to even recognise it as such. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...risis.amp.html

This by the way wasn't long after Jacinda brought in a ban on new Petrol and Diesel cars by 2023. When asked what effect this would have on regular people her response was that people could afford it. She lives in an ivory tower however the left wing media went to great lengths to portray her as one of the people.

Also I do understand we have it bad in Australia aswell as other nations but New Zealand is the worst for affordability out of all these countries. That's my point. At least in Australia, US and Canada there are affordable cities but in New Zealand no city is affordable and that's the problem. Where do people go? It's such a shame. That's why more people are leaving NZ again. They are coming here so it's obviously alot better here. I made the move myself even before the cost of living there spiked to what it is now and I noticed a significant difference. Many people are leaving because they feel they have little choice

Adhern aided in a lockdown aswell as other nations that created this cost of living crisis. This cost of living crisis and soon to be recession is solely the result of draconian policies that meant the movements of goods and services around the world was choked while the financial institutions then moved in to drop interests to maintain demand. Anyone with any sort of common sense could see what was going to happen. How is that regular people could see this yet the political elite who implemented these policies seem dumbfounded? Did they really expect us to believe they are that thick?

Old 01-30-2023, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I don't think you can blame her for house prices. They went through the roof in every developed country during the pandemic. What I would say is her idea of building tens of thousands of homes was utterly unrealistic and she likely knew that. New Zealand has huge cost of living issues and, by Australian standards, low wages. Those things can't be fixed by going on Colbert and winning over liberal Americans.
They mainly went through the roof because of interest rates but New Zealand was affected more so that many other countries as the lockdown was more strict. When New Zealand locked down so did the construction industry. When WA locked down several times I never missed a day on site. New Zealand never deemed construction as essential and now faces a housing backlog that has caused housing to be more unaffordable that the vast majority of developed countries.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:44 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Yes she did fail to recognise the cost of living crisis when it took her until recent months to even recognise it as such. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...risis.amp.html

This by the way wasn't long after Jacinda brought in a ban on new Petrol and Diesel cars by 2023. When asked what effect this would have on regular people her response was that people could afford it. She lives in an ivory tower however the left wing media went to great lengths to portray her as one of the people.

Also I do understand we have it bad in Australia aswell as other nations but New Zealand is the worst for affordability out of all these countries. That's my point. At least in Australia, US and Canada there are affordable cities but in New Zealand no city is affordable and that's the problem. Where do people go? It's such a shame. That's why more people are leaving NZ again. They are coming here so it's obviously alot better here. I made the move myself even before the cost of living there spiked to what it is now and I noticed a significant difference. Many people are leaving because they feel they have little choice

Adhern aided in a lockdown aswell as other nations that created this cost of living crisis. This cost of living crisis and soon to be recession is solely the result of draconian policies that meant the movements of goods and services around the world was choked while the financial institutions then moved in to drop interests to maintain demand. Anyone with any sort of common sense could see what was going to happen. How is that regular people could see this yet the political elite who implemented these policies seem dumbfounded? Did they really expect us to believe they are that thick?
Not that affordable. Australians have close to highest personal debt in the world. Mostly put down to over inflated housing . Rents increasingly unaffordable in all Australian cities as well.

New Zealand is unaffordable as well. Doesn't make any place easier on those struggling in those areas. Despicable acts by land lords probably equally exist in NZ , as are happening in Perth. (with massive increased rents due to no real protection for tenants) Although Perth has developed 'other means' to preserve 'living standards' of an unfortunate nature, at least in my terms, many would disagree and have jumped aboard whole heartily. A lot can be argued with regards to the disruptive nature of this on so many angles.
But let's get back to Ardern. She was hailed as a leader with forthright when she closed down the country and 'saved lives'. Her popularity seemed to dip on the opening of the economy.

In contrast Johnson in UK , was taken to task for not closing down the economy during those early years, and accused of being responsible for the loss of tens of thousands of British lives.

You can't have it both ways. Mistakes were made. She must have arrived at the conclusion she could not win the next election.

Ideal time to quit and hand over the reins, rather than going down with the ship. This now allows a little time for her replacement to become known and give the party, at least a fighting chance. Hard to see that as a negative.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
They mainly went through the roof because of interest rates but New Zealand was affected more so that many other countries as the lockdown was more strict. When New Zealand locked down so did the construction industry. When WA locked down several times I never missed a day on site. New Zealand never deemed construction as essential and now faces a housing backlog that has caused housing to be more unaffordable that the vast majority of developed countries.
WA closed the state in preference to locking down to any extent. The City and Fremantle declined considerably, especially during lock down but lingered long after as increased homeless, meth addicts, and undesirables seemed to be the most visible. Business closed and a general feeling of despair was around.

As for the building industry all I know is two construction firms went bust in the last week. Several did the same thing over the past year or so. Not only WA either.

We too have severe issues with the issue of housing newly arrived. Hard enough for those here already. Just how are those workers going to be housed that we claim to be so short off?

I don't see our problems as being too different from NZ. Being a far bigger economy there will be differences naturally.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Hardly only NZ. Forgot to mention your birth country, Ireland. Now there's a country in a housing crisis. Seems little learnt first time around in 2008.

Old 02-02-2023, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Not that affordable. Australians have close to highest personal debt in the world. Mostly put down to over inflated housing . Rents increasingly unaffordable in all Australian cities as well.

New Zealand is unaffordable as well. Doesn't make any place easier on those struggling in those areas. Despicable acts by land lords probably equally exist in NZ , as are happening in Perth. (with massive increased rents due to no real protection for tenants) Although Perth has developed 'other means' to preserve 'living standards' of an unfortunate nature, at least in my terms, many would disagree and have jumped aboard whole heartily. A lot can be argued with regards to the disruptive nature of this on so many angles.
But let's get back to Ardern. She was hailed as a leader with forthright when she closed down the country and 'saved lives'. Her popularity seemed to dip on the opening of the economy.

In contrast Johnson in UK , was taken to task for not closing down the economy during those early years, and accused of being responsible for the loss of tens of thousands of British lives.

You can't have it both ways. Mistakes were made. She must have arrived at the conclusion she could not win the next election.

Ideal time to quit and hand over the reins, rather than going down with the ship. This now allows a little time for her replacement to become known and give the party, at least a fighting chance. Hard to see that as a negative.
Your missing my point. My point is that New Zealand is significantly worse off for affordability than countries like Ireland, the UK, Australia, USA, Canada etc. Why do you think more Kiwis are coming to Australia? Most would prefer not to leave

Also your interpretation of Adhern leaves a big giant gap. The gap between her locking down her country and it re-opening back up again. Due to her incompetent government she went from being one of the first developed nations to act to one of the last to open up because of how botched the vaccine rollout was. Also the level of division she incured upon New Zealand with the mandates still has fresh wounds. Why do you think she resigned before she was pushed? Her popularity had dropped significantly and was dropping for almost a year now. As for what will it do for the party, only good things. Adhern for all her nice woke speeches was found out to be a very incompetent and divisive leader. A far cry from the kind and compassion leader the left made her out to be

Also Boris Johnson was only critiqued by the left wing media for not closing down early enough. He was actually criticized by big business when he implemented a hard lockdown. Now we are in a bigger mess than Covid ever was as the downturn has barely begun and who knows how far it will slide and how long it will last.

Old 02-02-2023, 04:27 AM

Quote:
WA closed the state in preference to locking down to any extent. The City and Fremantle declined considerably, especially during lock down but lingered long after as increased homeless, meth addicts, and undesirables seemed to be the most visible. Business closed and a general feeling of despair was around.

As for the building industry all I know is two construction firms went bust in the last week. Several did the same thing over the past year or so. Not only WA either.

We too have severe issues with the issue of housing newly arrived. Hard enough for those here already. Just how are those workers going to be housed that we claim to be so short off?

I don't see our problems as being too different from NZ. Being a far bigger economy there will be differences naturally.
There is simply no comparison between WA and New Zealand because Mc Gowan for as silly as he is understood too well that construction is essential. Adhern didn't get that so she locked it down aiding to the severe shortage of housing. Understand that when one interferes radically in the market there are always consequences. The consequences for the lock-down's is the current downturn. The consequences for lockdown the construction industry for long periods in New Zealand only made things worse.

Also I understand we also have issues especially as we are in a rental crisis but as I said before our problems are nothing compared to New Zealand with the current housing crisis. Firms will go bust as that's to be expected. We are starting to enter a slowdown

Old 02-02-2023, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Hardly only NZ. Forgot to mention your birth country, Ireland. Now there's a country in a housing crisis. Seems little learnt first time around in 2008.
"Now there's a country in a housing crisis"? This isn't 2009 mate lol. Ireland is actually more affordable than Australia.

There was a property report done by compare the market showing the most unaffordable countries in the world. Have a look
https://www.comparethemarket.com.au/...t-of-property/

Australia and Ireland don't even make the top 10 while the UK is ranked 8th and New Zealand ranked 6th.

This isn't about trying to pick on different countries. It's to show how little has been done by successive governments including Adhern herself to address this crisis leading to the current state. Adhern promised she would tackle and improve the crisis under her rule. Since she got into power it has only ever gotten worse and her locking down the construction industry aided in this. Meanwhile she ignored it and declared a climate emergency and started trying to implement radical policies to tackle it while Kiwis just wanted her to tackle the bigger problems right In front of them. She was a woke politician not cut out to deal with the real problems in New Zealand which she finally came to understand in the end

Last edited by Paddy234; 02-02-2023 at 05:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2023, 01:58 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times
Quote:
"Now there's a country in a housing crisis"? This isn't 2009 mate lol. Ireland is actually more affordable than Australia.

There was a property report done by compare the market showing the most unaffordable countries in the world. Have a look
https://www.comparethemarket.com.au/...t-of-property/

Australia and Ireland don't even make the top 10 while the UK is ranked 8th and New Zealand ranked 6th.

This isn't about trying to pick on different countries. It's to show how little has been done by successive governments including Adhern herself to address this crisis leading to the current state. Adhern promised she would tackle and improve the crisis under her rule. Since she got into power it has only ever gotten worse and her locking down the construction industry aided in this. Meanwhile she ignored it and declared a climate emergency and started trying to implement radical policies to tackle it while Kiwis just wanted her to tackle the bigger problems right In front of them. She was a woke politician not cut out to deal with the real problems in New Zealand which she finally came to understand in the end
I was in Ireland about 4 years ago, and then it seemed that in Dublin and other major cities house prices were on par with Sydney and Melbourne, but the dwellings themselves were about 1/2 or 1/3 the size of Australian houses and appartments.

Rural and semi rural parts of Ireland seemed to offer a much better deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand