Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 01:41 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,513,381 times

Advertisements

Funny how Ash Barty has stepped down from tennis while she was at the top. Although everyone was disappointed she was hardly criticised. Jacinda probably has multiple reasons for her decision. And like Gladys Berejiklian, our NSW State Premier who pretty much had to resign, and one of her predecessors, Mike Baird who chose to resign, she will probably find herself a better life going forward. And wonder why she ever bothered in politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 02:44 PM

4,217 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Funny how Ash Barty has stepped down from tennis while she was at the top. Although everyone was disappointed she was hardly criticised. Jacinda probably has multiple reasons for her decision. And like Gladys Berejiklian, our NSW State Premier who pretty much had to resign, and one of her predecessors, Mike Baird who chose to resign, she will probably find herself a better life going forward. And wonder why she ever bothered in politics.
If I had to guess I'd say she's either wanting another child or has got a job lined up at high profile organisation like the Unicef etc.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Labour knows they can't win the election with her - I think this is first and foremost why she has gone 8 months before the election.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:31 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,944,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
I got to like how Sky News titled that clip about Jacinda Ardern: "Ardern’s resignation ‘marks a failure of woke politics’".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc6mI-wG-0o

Am I the only one who enjoyed to play that classic song from the Wizard of Oz when Jacinda resigned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPIdRJlzERo
Probably as a rehash of the song brought out on the death of Thatcher in UK. You could have found something a little original.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Probably as a rehash of the song brought out on the death of Thatcher in UK. You could have found something a little original.
Woke politics really? What it is suggestive off is that anybody that wants to change politics to be more inclusive and humane is likely to find themselves on a hiding for nothing. While those in power with self-serving agendas and influenced by powerful business sectors with highly paid lobbyists ensuring a specific agenda will always call the tune.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:27 PM

2,931 posts, read 1,308,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Woke politics really? What it is suggestive off is that anybody that wants to change politics to be more inclusive and humane is likely to find themselves on a hiding for nothing. While those in power with self-serving agendas and influenced by powerful business sectors with highly paid lobbyists ensuring a specific agenda will always call the tune.
People who are called woke are usually those who hide behind the labels of being inclusive and humane while endorsing policies that are inhumane and divisive to other sections of the community. Outside of the Far left Jacinda was an extremely divisive and incompetent leader who should never have been in the position she was in. Her image was carefully sculpted by the popular media into a cult like figure however no-one has done more damage to the New Zealand economy in recent times than her. She has managed to aid in a new Kiwi exodus to Australia, something that had been reversed in previous years. New Zealand has truly become a land of the haves and have not more so than many Australians realise. It's a country where the middle class struggles to keep ahead.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:05 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,504 times
"It's a country where the middle class struggles to keep ahead."

It's been this way for literally decades. The struggle seems no more or less than it was 10 years ago, or 20 years ago or 30 years ago.

I'd be interested to see someone outline say the three most damaging policies they think she is responsible for. I get that people don't like her, but I don't see much detail as to why. Asking to genuinely understand why people feel so aggrieved, not to be combative.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:51 AM

2,931 posts, read 1,308,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
"It's a country where the middle class struggles to keep ahead."

It's been this way for literally decades. The struggle seems no more or less than it was 10 years ago, or 20 years ago or 30 years ago.

I'd be interested to see someone outline say the three most damaging policies they think she is responsible for. I get that people don't like her, but I don't see much detail as to why. Asking to genuinely understand why people feel so aggrieved, not to be combative.
It's much worse now because housing afforability has never been worse. When i lived in Christchurch we built two homes, one at $475,000 and the other at $550,000. They are both worth at least $800,000-$900,000 now and wages have went up by a few dollars at most however so has the cost of living.

As for Jacinda's policies, well for one her inability to act on the housing crisis. I'm sorry but i just don't believe nothing can be done, we witnessed Politicians use every tool at their disposal during Covid to muster resources and people in the ability to fight Covid. A crisis that affected us all. We witnessed after the Christchurch earthquake the mobilization of tradies across the world aswell as funding to rebuild the city. Now that we have one of the worst housing crisis in history those same politicians are shrugging their shoulders as if nothing can be done

Another one of her insanely woke policies is trying to make new Petrol and Diesel cars illegal by 2033. When people asked how did she expect tradies for example to get by, her response was that Toyota would soon be bringing an EV Ute to New Zealand in the coming year. Toyota responded shortly after saying they had no intention of bringing their EV ute to New Zealand and that what she was doing was irresponsible. Didn't she even consult these manufacturers if this was even feasible or was this just another one of her woke gung ho policies?

Another is her hate speech law that could mean the imprisonment of anyone who was to speak against certain individuals and ideologies that could be interpretated as inciting hatred and therefore violence. It was so vague when questioned the Prime minister could in no way define how it could and couldn't be used. It was an international embarrassment

Jacinda during Covid was also extremely divisive, i don't think there has ever been a prime minister to ever cause so much division among it's people. Her complete inability to even attempt to engage with the large scale anti-mandate protests is testament to her lack of empathy, an image she and her left wing media friends had worked so hard to establish. Her complacency during the crisis meant that the country suffered a series of lock-downs with no exit strategy. The strategy of holding out until a vaccine arrived was incompetent to say the least and it's slow rollout only exposed a lack of planning by the government that while quick to lock-down the country with even the mildest sniffle wasn't able to find a way out it. What's more small businesses like Bakeries and Green Grocers were closed while Big supermarkets were allowed to continue making record profits. It exposed her as nothing more than a puppet of big business who through other means were still able to continue making record profits while small businesses were crushed.

Her stance on Abortion is among the most extreme though not surprising which again totally blows away her image of kind and Empathetic. It's just a pity the screams of those she lacks so much empathy for are silent

Jacinda did nothing but damage to New Zealand and thats why most are glad to see her gone. People are worse off in everyway and she did nothing but focus on woke policies. My biggest worry is that she ends up in some unelected panel inside the UN or WEF making influential decisions that will affect not just one or a few nations but entire continents.

Last edited by Paddy234; 01-28-2023 at 01:00 AM..

Old 01-28-2023, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
People who are called woke are usually those who hide behind the labels of being inclusive and humane while endorsing policies that are inhumane and divisive to other sections of the community. Outside of the Far left Jacinda was an extremely divisive and incompetent leader who should never have been in the position she was in. Her image was carefully sculpted by the popular media into a cult like figure however no-one has done more damage to the New Zealand economy in recent times than her. She has managed to aid in a new Kiwi exodus to Australia, something that had been reversed in previous years. New Zealand has truly become a land of the haves and have not more so than many Australians realise. It's a country where the middle class struggles to keep ahead.
Well little inhumane in Arden's policies, so don't have to worry on that score. I don't agree outside of the Far Left, Jacinda was divisive. Far from it. She was returned with a thumping majority. Best result ever in an NZ election I believe.

I don't believe either that her image was carefully sculptured. She displayed very human emotions and was perhaps a little naive at times, if you want to fault her.

The New Zealand economy had long been in difficulty over the decades. The land of haves and have nots could be traced back to the eighties and Rogeromics. In fact the loss of the UK market back in the seventies, impacted badly NZ. Some may argue if the bottom third ever really recovered.

There was an improvement that saw Kiwi's returning and immigration in the positive for a few years but suspect Covid lockdown impacted NZ rather severely.

It should be remembered Arden was hailed something of a hero during the early months of the pandemic .
She will be well remembered in The Pacific for all policy towards the smaller nations of the region.

I understand she has called a Royal Commission into how that time was handled as well.

She maintained an even keel policy towards China , while Australia took a stick, (but likely to sell out to China yet again)

Besides her climate policy, she was advocating state housing construction and better public transport at least in the Auckland area. Not sure how much of this eventuated and to what extent.

Old 01-28-2023, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
It's much worse now because housing afforability has never been worse. When i lived in Christchurch we built two homes, one at $475,000 and the other at $550,000. They are both worth at least $800,000-$900,000 now and wages have went up by a few dollars at most however so has the cost of living.

As for Jacinda's policies, well for one her inability to act on the housing crisis. I'm sorry but i just don't believe nothing can be done, we witnessed Politicians use every tool at their disposal during Covid to muster resources and people in the ability to fight Covid. A crisis that affected us all. We witnessed after the Christchurch earthquake the mobilization of tradies across the world aswell as funding to rebuild the city. Now that we have one of the worst housing crisis in history those same politicians are shrugging their shoulders as if nothing can be done

Another one of her insanely woke policies is trying to make new Petrol and Diesel cars illegal by 2033. When people asked how did she expect tradies for example to get by, her response was that Toyota would soon be bringing an EV Ute to New Zealand in the coming year. Toyota responded shortly after saying they had no intention of bringing their EV ute to New Zealand and that what she was doing was irresponsible. Didn't she even consult these manufacturers if this was even feasible or was this just another one of her woke gung ho policies?

Another is her hate speech law that could mean the imprisonment of anyone who was to speak against certain individuals and ideologies that could be interpretated as inciting hatred and therefore violence. It was so vague when questioned the Prime minister could in no way define how it could and couldn't be used. It was an international embarrassment

Jacinda during Covid was also extremely divisive, i don't think there has ever been a prime minister to ever cause so much division among it's people. Her complete inability to even attempt to engage with the large scale anti-mandate protests is testament to her lack of empathy, an image she and her left wing media friends had worked so hard to establish. Her complacency during the crisis meant that the country suffered a series of lock-downs with no exit strategy. The strategy of holding out until a vaccine arrived was incompetent to say the least and it's slow rollout only exposed a lack of planning by the government that while quick to lock-down the country with even the mildest sniffle wasn't able to find a way out it. What's more small businesses like Bakeries and Green Grocers were closed while Big supermarkets were allowed to continue making record profits. It exposed her as nothing more than a puppet of big business who through other means were still able to continue making record profits while small businesses were crushed.

Her stance on Abortion is among the most extreme though not surprising which again totally blows away her image of kind and Empathetic. It's just a pity the screams of those she lacks so much empathy for are silent

Jacinda did nothing but damage to New Zealand and thats why most are glad to see her gone. People are worse off in everyway and she did nothing but focus on woke policies. My biggest worry is that she ends up in some unelected panel inside the UN or WEF making influential decisions that will affect not just one or a few nations but entire continents.
You haven't been around New Zealand politics long enough, if think Arden was the most divisive. Look back to the Muldoon period for real division and red meat right of centre philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand