Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 11:48 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Are we still not believing in another person's word? We are taking it on faith, that they are telling the truth (facts) in what they know, to be true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You seem to be believing the christian world. That's fine for you. But doesn't do much for the majority of the world.

You seem to be confused about the difference between faith and facts.
One has to have one, in order to believe the other or at least the authority of the one delivering facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 12:08 PM

2,045 posts, read 783,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And your religious base is?
I'm a Deist who likes SOME of what Jesus Christ said and who enjoys SOME Christian holidays.

I'm also open to the idea that there me be multiple gods who do or do not intervene with us.

Old 11-05-2023, 12:29 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
One has to have one, in order to believe the other or at least the authority of the one delivering facts.
Not according to a lot of christians on this forum.

Old 11-05-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
I'm a Deist who likes SOME of what Jesus Christ said and who enjoys SOME Christian holidays.

I'm also open to the idea that there me be multiple gods who do or do not intervene with us.
Okay.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:39 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:

That's ok. The multiple non -intervening gods is a possible undisprovable, and so long as no faith without valid evidence is invested in it, there's no problem. Nor with various religious holidays. There is no war on Christmas,other than possibly by some who thibk that Jesus should be the reason for the season, and not promarily a social and family celebration. Finally, some decent sentiments may have beed put into Jesus'mouth by the writers, but these need not be exclusive to the Gospels, even if they are original.

Just sayin' why, while I am fine with your position, it isn't mine.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:41 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:

I'm an atheist and like some things attributed to Jesus, and I love christmas. The lights, decorations, trees, food, goodwill... Not really into Santa or nativity scenes.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:45 PM

11,424 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
We have a new neighbor who seems perfectly "normal". She's a retired postmaster and friendly, smart, etc, but has a strong mainstream religious belief that really is not based on any proof other than writings in a suspect book, Moderator cut: Politics

I'm at a loss to explain people like her, and they're everywhere you go, it's not just this one person. Can someone explain this to me? How can people who appear normal have beliefs that are, in my opinion, delusional?
Religion requires Faith. Proof is exactly what you don't get.

If a religion were proved, wouldn't we all flock to the single one with the proof? What is left.

Since no religion is proven, you either have Faith or you don't. Believing in nothing takes just as much faith as believing in a given religion.

Believing in nothing means you have to believe in the impossibility of a creator. That can't be proven, so you have to have faith to believe it.

So it comes down to, which faith do you hold, in something or in nothing.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I'm an atheist and like some things attributed to Jesus, and I love christmas. The lights, decorations, trees, food, goodwill... Not really into Santa or nativity scenes.
Very similar here.

Being an atheist doesn't mean one can't find some wisdom in religions.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:52 PM

11,424 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
If you had the time to spare, you could study science until you did understand the evidence
for why the stars are distant suns, or how matter is made up of atoms, or the evolutionary path that led
to human beings. That's one of the great things about science.

But no matter how much study time you put in, you wouldn't find comparable evidence
for the existence of a god... you'd be told you simply have to believe what's written in some ancient book.

Study what?

To "know" scientific evidence, you would have to do first hand research yourself. You would have to do your own experiments into science. If you take the word of scientists, then you simply are placing your "faith" in scientists.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe in science, in scientists, and in most prevailing scientific theories whether it is gravity or quantum mechanics. I have no capacity to do that research myself. All I am saying is, we personally can't have any evidence ourselves beyond our direct physical experiences.

I have never traveled to another planet in our solar system. I am trusting scientists to have told me the truth about other planets in our solar system. What they say strikes me as logical, and I can see bright objects in the sky that look different from what I am told are stars and galaxies that I can see with the naked eye, so I put my faith in scientists regarding the planets of the solar system.

But the fact is, I have never been on one or seen one in a telescope powerful enough to have "first hand evidence".

The fact is, we have to put our faith in scientists that they are telling us the truth. Anything but our own first hand scientific experiments are hearsay. They are NOT evidence we have obtained on our own. It still takes a form of faith to accept them and believe in them, even if they seem very logical and sound.

Old 11-05-2023, 07:20 PM

6,012 posts, read 2,835,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Religion requires Faith. Proof is exactly what you don't get.

If a religion were proved, wouldn't we all flock to the single one with the proof? What is left.

Since no religion is proven, you either have Faith or you don't. Believing in nothing takes just as much faith as believing in a given religion.

Believing in nothing means you have to believe in the impossibility of a creator. That can't be proven, so you have to have faith to believe it.

So it comes down to, which faith do you hold, in something or in nothing.
I agree with this. The OP obviously wrote his post with the intention of starting an argument, as the normal appearing devout atheist also has beliefs that they absolutely cannot prove, yet this thread presumably bashes solely Christianity.

We see what you're up to , OP...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism