Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times

Advertisements

Wow, what a waste of band-width...

We calculate you are 66% humanist.

Your answers are fairly neutral, perhaps a bit dependent on authority or other people or pure emotion. Humanists try to think, and to think for themselves.

I don't suppose anyone sees the ironic contradiction there....

I'm "fairly neutral" because I think and think independently, instead of conforming to what Humanists believe is the correct way to think.

Non-conforming....

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,953 times
93%

But I know it is because I said I would live on in memories and my children instead of it just being the end

Lol

Last edited by AnonymouseX; 02-09-2013 at 06:09 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Your answers are fairly neutral, perhaps a bit dependent on authority or other people or pure emotion. Humanists try to think, and to think for themselves.

I'm "fairly neutral" because I think and think independently, instead of conforming to what Humanists believe is the correct way to think.

Non-conforming....

Mircea
Interesting result.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
86% humanist apparently

Old 02-10-2013, 05:53 AM

708 posts, read 1,059,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Non-conforming....

Mircea
I got 60% humanist,with the same explanation.I really don't like fitting into neat little boxes anyway.Always keep 'em guessing!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
93%

But I know it is because I said I would live on in memories and my children instead of it just being the end

Lol
Kind of stupid, isn't it?

I guard my photographs like the gold at Fort Knox.

Some of the people in the photos are dead. Some of the places I've been to are gone. I'll never see them again. Those photos are the only thing I have. It's no different than a lot of my favorite people who are gone. I still have their music and their films.

Humanists, hell, they ought to call themselves Robotists or something (that more accurately reflects the cold-hearted machines they are).

Living on....

Mircea

Old 02-10-2013, 12:55 PM

10,526 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Hi guys,
sorry to butt-in, but the humanist answer to 'when I die' is actually
'I will live on in people's memories or because of the work I have done or through my children.'
So it must have been another question which gave that result.

I got 96% because I answered the 'people should be treated with respect' question with
'they are people with feeling like mine'
instead of
'we'll all be happier if we treat each other well.'

As it says on the website the quiz is just a bit of fun designed to promote awareness of humanism so I guess you could say the quiz is not doing a great job! Check out the website though, or the American version if you prefer. Every popular atheist is affiliated with the Humanist Association so its not some goofy group.

Its a legitimate organisation with values you probably share:
*engaging in debate rationally, intelligently and with attention to evidence
*recognising the dignity of individuals and treating them with fairness and respect
*respecting and promoting freedom, democracy, human rights and the rule of law
*being cooperative, working with others of different beliefs for the common good
*celebrating human achievement, progress and potential.

Here is the American website:
American Humanist Association

Old 10-02-2023, 10:45 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times

Old 10-03-2023, 06:00 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times

Old 10-03-2023, 08:41 AM

975 posts, read 535,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Are you a Humanist?

Here's a definition of humanism according to the British Humanist Association:
Humanists:
Think for themselves about what is right and wrong, based on reason and respect for others. Find meaning, beauty and joy in the one life we have, without the need for an afterlife.
Look to science instead of religion as the best way to discover and understand the world.
Believe people can use empathy and compassion to make the world a better place for everyone.

Here's a quiz to see how humanist you are:

Are You a Humanist? » British Humanist Association

(Dawkins is a VP by the way, so don't worry its all legit)
http://humanism.org.uk/about/our-peo...ed-supporters/

According to the quiz I'm 96% humanist.
Can we have a 'Humanist' sub-forum please?
That comment about Dawkins is not a good indication of being "legit". I did take the quiz and got a 90% and I know which question knocked me down to 90%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism