Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 09:58 AM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I just saw this video. A great example of why roundabouts suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-H-BKAZfxM
It's not the roundabout that sucks in that video, it's the driver in the right lane ignoring the fact that he/she was supposed to turn right, and not continue around the circle. No different than the times I've almost hit someone who thinks that every intersection in Houston allows a left turn from the second lane, when it's only allowed when there's signage saying it's allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 10:34 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
It's not the roundabout that sucks in that video, it's the driver in the right lane ignoring the fact that he/she was supposed to turn right, and not continue around the circle. No different than the times I've almost hit someone who thinks that every intersection in Houston allows a left turn from the second lane, when it's only allowed when there's signage saying it's allowed.
It's not illegal to switch from a right turn lane to a straight lane. The white line was even broken, so what he did is not even discouraged.

The point is that roundabouts are anarchy. Every one of them is different and has different rules. Unless you drive through a particular roundabout on a regular basis and learn the rules for that roundabout, it will be a confusing mess. Just a maze of multiple lanes and traffic coming from every possible direction and you only have few seconds to figure it out.

I have been driving 45 years and feel like I can drive anywhere in any type of traffic conditions. But when I come to a roundabout, I just point my car in the general direction I want to go, and hope I get through it without crashing.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:37 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Quote:
It's not illegal to switch from a right turn lane to a straight lane. The white line was even broken, so what he did is not even discouraged.
Actually it is illegal to change lanes in a roundabout. And contrary to your allegation the rules are the same for every roundabout.

Quote:
The point is that roundabouts are anarchy. Every one of them is different and has different rules. Unless you drive through a particular roundabout on a regular basis and learn the rules for that roundabout, it will be a confusing mess.

They are all basically the same. Some may have more lanes but the rules are NOT different for every one , the rules are the same for all of them.

Quote:
Just a maze of multiple lanes and traffic coming from every possible direction and you only have few seconds to figure it out.
The only traffic you have to worry about is the traffic to your left, that is in the roundabout.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Actually it is illegal to change lanes in a roundabout. And contrary to your allegation the rules are the same for every roundabout.
Do you have a source to back that up?

This is what the Michigan Driver's manual says about it.

Quote:
Avoid changing lanes. Move into the lane you need before entering the roundabout.
Avoid changing lanes. But it doesn't say you can't.

Quote:
On roads that have more than one lane moving in one direction, broken white lines separate traffic lanes. Do not straddle the broken white lines or cross the double yellow line.
He crossed a broken white line, not a double yellow line. So he is okay there too.

What Every Driver Must Know

Old 10-20-2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Do you have a source to back that up?

This is what the Michigan Driver's manual says about it.

Avoid changing lanes. But it doesn't say you can't.

He crossed a broken white line, not a double yellow line. So he is okay there too.

What Every Driver Must Know
No that driver was not OK. His lane ended, and went to the right. That lane did not continue around the roundabout. Notice that the right lane has a go straight arrow on the entrance to the roundabout. The lane to the left has a go straight arrow and a go left on the roundabout arrow. The go straight arrow on the right lane does not allow the car to continue around the roundabout, it requires that the driver continue straight ahead in compliance with the lane markings. Here's the Wisconsin roundabout guide https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/s...b-brochure.pdf

It says that to go left, use the left lane. The right lane must go straight ahead. The car on the right did not go through the roundabout correctly, as the driver tried to continue around the roundabout.

Old 10-20-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
No that driver was not OK. His lane ended, and went to the right. That lane did not continue around the roundabout. Notice that the right lane has a go straight arrow on the entrance to the roundabout. The lane to the left has a go straight arrow and a go left on the roundabout arrow. The go straight arrow on the right lane does not allow the car to continue around the roundabout, it requires that the driver continue straight ahead in compliance with the lane markings. Here's the Wisconsin roundabout guide https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/s...b-brochure.pdf

It says that to go left, use the left lane. The right lane must go straight ahead. The car on the right did not go through the roundabout correctly, as the driver tried to continue around the roundabout.
The statement was that it's "illegal to change lanes in a roundabout". I say it's not. I have searched the Michigan vehicle code and I can find no law that says it's illegal to change lanes in a roundabout.

Your article explains how to safely navigate a roundabout. I'm well aware that it's not safe to change lanes in a roundabout. But it is not illegal.

If you have a driver's license, then you should know that it's ALWAYS legal to change lanes over a broken white line. A solid white line is probably illegal to pass over. A double yellow or double white line is definitely illegal to pass over. But a broken white line is always legal to cross. This is something you should have learned when you took your driver's test.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
The statement was that it's "illegal to change lanes in a roundabout". I say it's not. I have searched the Michigan vehicle code and I can find no law that says it's illegal to change lanes in a roundabout.

Your article explains how to safely navigate a roundabout. I'm well aware that it's not safe to change lanes in a roundabout. But it is not illegal.

If you have a driver's license, then you should know that it's ALWAYS legal to change lanes over a broken white line. A solid white line is probably illegal to pass over. A double yellow or double white line is definitely illegal to pass over. But a broken white line is always legal to cross. This is something you should have learned when you took your driver's test.
The Wisconsin DoT says Do Not Change Lanes in a Roundabout https://wisconsindot.gov/pages/safet...uts/works.aspx

In any case, the driver of the car on the right in the video failed to obey a traffic device, namely the arrow saying that lane must go straight, failed to keep a proper lookout by running into the car to the left, failed to yield when required, and possibly other violations.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The Wisconsin DoT says Do Not Change Lanes in a Roundabout https://wisconsindot.gov/pages/safet...uts/works.aspx

In any case, the driver of the car on the right in the video failed to obey a traffic device, namely the arrow saying that lane must go straight, failed to keep a proper lookout by running into the car to the left, failed to yield when required, and possibly other violations.
The only traffic law mentioned in your link is the one that all vehicles in Wisconsin must yield to any vehicle 40 feet or longer in a roundabout.

I will add that to the long list of why roundabouts suck. Let's create these roundabouts so we can be cool like the Europeans. Oh, wait. We have a problem. Trucks don't really fit in our cool new roundabouts. Well then we will just have to make a special law to protect trucks in roundabouts and give them the right of way.

So now when I drive through a roundabout, which I freely admit that my 45 years of driving experience has not prepared me for, not only must I try to figure out how to navigate through the spaghetti bowl without crashing, but now I must also analyze the size and length of every vehicle in the roundabout. Oh that truck is over 40 feet long, so he has the right of way. But the box truck behind him is only 35 feet long, so I don't have to yield to him.

This insanity has to stop. They need to stop messing with our roads and making them more complicated. Because they are already too complicated for most people. Evident by the fact that some here, don't even understand what a broken white line means.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:50 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
I’ll be the roundabout
The words will make you out and out.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
The only traffic law mentioned in your link is the one that all vehicles in Wisconsin must yield to any vehicle 40 feet or longer in a roundabout.

I will add that to the long list of why roundabouts suck. Let's create these roundabouts so we can be cool like the Europeans. Oh, wait. We have a problem. Trucks don't really fit in our cool new roundabouts. Well then we will just have to make a special law to protect trucks in roundabouts and give them the right of way.

So now when I drive through a roundabout, which I freely admit that my 45 years of driving experience has not prepared me for, not only must I try to figure out how to navigate through the spaghetti bowl without crashing, but now I must also analyze the size and length of every vehicle in the roundabout. Oh that truck is over 40 feet long, so he has the right of way. But the box truck behind him is only 35 feet long, so I don't have to yield to him.

This insanity has to stop. They need to stop messing with our roads and making them more complicated. Because they are already too complicated for most people. Evident by the fact that some here, don't even understand what a broken white line means.
In the first section of the link I provided, it says:
Driving vehicles in a roundabout
  • Slow down.
  • Watch for and obey traffic signs.
  • Move into the correct lane the direction you want to travel as you approach the roundabout.
  • Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists as you enter and exit the roundabout.
  • Yield to all lanes of traffic on your left before entering.
  • Keep your speed low and stay in your lane within the roundabout (do not change lanes within the roundabout).
  • Exit carefully to your destination. Use your right-turn signal, in front of the splitter island just prior to your exit, to indicate your intention to exit
In normal circumstances, yes a broken white line can be crossed. That is not true on that roundabout, where the go straight only takes precedence, and the broken white lines are merely lane markings that show where BOTH lanes can go straight ahead. How is the second lane supposed to go straight ahead if the right lane is allowed to continue around the roundabout? And that's ignoring the fact that you are not allowed to change lanes into another vehicle. Would you be happier if the Wisconsin Highway Department put a solid white line there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor